Thread: Good interview with Dave Hutchinson

Good interview with Dave Hutchinson

Interview with Jets Insider Dave Hutchinson, Newark Star-Ledger

Cecil Lammey: Now my first question for you, we talked to John Crist yesterday about the Chicago Bears, from Bear Report Magazine. He was talking about Thomas Jones, now with the Jets. Thomas Jones really gives these guys a very solid back, a spectacular player. How do you think he's going to do there in Jets land?

Dave Hutchinson: I think it was just an excellent, excellent move by Jets GM Mike Tanenbaum. I think this guy is really going to help the offense. Obviously, Curtis Martin and his unexpected retirement left the Jets in a real lurch last year. Their running game was very much null and void. I think Thomas Jones is not only going to help them in the running game, but in the passing game as well. He has good hands, and he's also an excellent blocker in the passing game. I think the Jets really hit a home run with this guy, and I can't believe the Bears practically gave him away for a song and dance - the Jets exchanged second round picks in that trade if you recall.

Sigmund Bloom: Dave, let's go back to draft day 2006, when the Jets moved up in the second round to take Kellen Clemens, clearly a move to get their quarterback of the future. Somewhere along the way, Chad Pennington, who some of us, including me, had left for dead, rose from the ashes and had a really solid season last year, taking the Jets to the playoffs. So my question for you is now that Clemens has a year of seasoning, getting in that range where he'll be ready to play, what would it take for the Jets to make a change from Pennington to Clemens?

WH: Well, Sigmund, first of all, you weren't the only one to leave Chad Pennington for dead. I had left him for dead myself. I was so very happy for him to come back from two rotator cuff surgeries. That was unprecedented in the NFL, and the guy had a terrific season. Obviously his interceptions were high - he had a career high 16 interceptions, but I think he has an arm-lock on the job for this year. I think Kellen is a year away at best. I think the Jets were very happy with the progress of the rookie. The offense that Jets play is very complicated, and it's really a "read and react" offense where you have to do a lot of thinking back there. As you guys know, that's Chad Pennington's forte, in addition to his being able to read defense and be very smart. I think this offense is really tailored toward him and the type of quarterback he is. I think Kellen is a couple of years away.

CL: Now, let's go back to the running back position if you will, Dave, any listener of the show knows that we love Lorenzo Booker, very close with Lorenzo and wish him the best down in Miami. Let's talk about his former teammate at Florida State, who really flashed a lot of burst, a lot of potential, as a rookie for the Jets, and did a great job on the kick returns. How's he going to fit in? Now with Thomas Jones, his role will be somewhat reduced, or is Washington going to play the same role, or maybe an increased role this year?

DH: Cecil, that's a great question, and Leon absolutely shocked all of us last year, because going into the draft everyone knew that the Jets needed a RB, because Curtis Martin had told the club before the draft that his knee was really bothering him and they should really take a hard look at a running back in the early rounds. But the Jets didn't address the position until the fourth round, and all of us were shocked. Leon stepped in, and he was just absolutely outstanding. I mean, what a player, what a find in the fourth round. To answer your question, I think his role is going to be pretty much what it was last year. He's going to come in and be a change of pace guy. Although he's diminutive, he can also get those tough yards inside. You don't want to sleep on him on some of those inside the tackle plays. But Thomas Jones is definitely "the man". The Jets gave him a ten million dollars guarantee. They're really looking for him to do some big things. He's rushed for 2500 yards in the past two years. The Jets did not bring him in to be a part time guy. He's going to be the guy, and Leon's going to be a change of pace. They're going to mix both of them in.

SB: Dave, let's go the defensive side of the ball and a player that probably took as big a drop as any player when the Jets moved into the Mangini era. Jonathan Vilma never really regained the form he had in 2005 last year. Is the team looking for him to improve? Do you expect him to be more comfortable in this 3-4 hybrid scheme this year?

DH: You guys do your homework. I'm going to start studying my playbook right now, I don't want you guys to come to Jersey and take my job. You are exactly right about Vilma. As soon as they announced the switch to a 3-4 scheme, we were very worried about Vilma because he's a guy who excels in that 4-3 where he can go sideline to sideline. In that 3-4, he has a specific job he has to do and doesn't have the bulk to hang in there with those 330 pound guards that are running around like halfbacks these days. He really had a tough transition. The hope is that in his second year in this defense, he'll be able to evolve, i.e. Ted Bruschi. Bruschi isn't a big guy either, and after his first year going through some growing pains in that Patriots' defense. In the second year he really came on, and as they say, the rest is history, so the Jets are really hoping that Vilma will be able to mirror the progress that Ted Bruschi showed in this defense.

CL: Dave, my last question for you, a little bit off the football path. We had Jets strong safety Erik Coleman on the show. We asked him about how Eric Mangini was in his first year as head coach. This guy a young guy, of course learning from the great Bill Belichick there with New England, now comes to New York as the head coach. I must go off here, I promised myself I wouldn't cry, but the Sopranos are coming to an end this week. In the penultimate episode, the episode that showed this last week, Eric Mangini was in it, eating at the restaurant, and Tony Soprano came over to talk to him. How is Mangini handling the celebrity of being in New York, media capital of the world. How's he handling that celebrity of being the Jets head coach?

DH: Guys, I can not wait until tomorrow because I have a surprise for Eric. I'm really going to bust his chops about this Sopranos deal. We're going out there for OTAs. It is the durnedest thing. Obviously Eric came up through the Bill Belichick school. He's very tight on the information, and you will ask him a question and he will talk for five minutes and not answer it. But the thing is the guy is likable. Where Belichick does that with a scowl, goes on the stage and there's a very acrimonious relationship with the press, Eric, as soon as he was hired, called each of the beat writers into his office and said "Hey guys, I know you have a job to do, and I have a job to do, and I hope you understand when I'm not forthcoming with information as much as you would like" and that really softened the blow. The guy is so likable., I tell everyone. I tell them "Eric Mangini tells me absolutely nothing, but I love the guy to death." It's unbelievable. I think if the Jets continue to be successful, he's going to own this town. But if he fails, I think a lot of us, and I would include myself to a degree, we're kind of waiting for an opening. Some of the, I wouldn't call it dislike, some of the frustration we've had in him not answering some of our questions, if he's not winning games, it's only human nature that that frustration is going to manifest itself in some of our writing. The bottom line that he better win, because if he doesn't, everyone's going to come of the woodwork and say, "Hey, he doesn't tell us anything, he's not winning games" and that type of thing. The guy is an excellent coach, and I really don't see that scenario playing out.

SB: Dave, my last question for you is about a player that the Jets had high hopes for when they signed him away from Tennessee. But he hasn't lived up to those hopes, and they're paying him almost starter money, even though Laveranues Coles and Jerricho Cotchery are starting at his position. Justin McCareins, recently getting some praise from Eric Mangini, how's he looking in OTAs and what do you expect from him?

DH: This guy looks like a different guy. We were out there last week, and I had to take off my sunglasses and wipe them off. I couldn't it was the same guy that was out there stumbling around last year, dropping passing, alligator arms, the whole bit. He really stepped up during the offseason. Eric has praised him repeatedly. It looks like he's going to be around here. He has a $2.9 million dollar cap number, but right now, as far as third-wide receivers go, he's about the best you're going to get. His cap number is a little high. The Jets may ask him to rework his deal, but my bet right now is that he is going to be here this coming season, and I think he's going to be a big help.

CL: To quote our program director, David Dodds, "Outstanding". If you want to know anything about the Jets, of course you read Dave Hutchinson of the Newark Star-Ledger. Dave, thanks for joining the show.

DH: Thanks for giving me a call; I had fun with you guys.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by NIGHT STALKER

SB: Dave, my last question for you is about a player that the Jets had high hopes for when they signed him away from Tennessee. But he hasn't lived up to those hopes, and they're paying him almost starter money, even though Laveranues Coles and Jerricho Cotchery are starting at his position. Justin McCareins, recently getting some praise from Eric Mangini, how's he looking in OTAs and what do you expect from him?

DH: This guy looks like a different guy. We were out there last week, and I had to take off my sunglasses and wipe them off. I couldn't it was the same guy that was out there stumbling around last year, dropping passing, alligator arms, the whole bit. He really stepped up during the offseason. Eric has praised him repeatedly. It looks like he's going to be around here. He has a $2.9 million dollar cap number, but right now, as far as third-wide receivers go, he's about the best you're going to get. His cap number is a little high. The Jets may ask him to rework his deal, but my bet right now is that he is going to be here this coming season, and I think he's going to be a big help.

CL: To quote our program director, David Dodds, "Outstanding". If you want to know anything about the Jets, of course you read Dave Hutchinson of the Newark Star-Ledger. Dave, thanks for joining the show.

DH: Thanks for giving me a call; I had fun with you guys.
    For a second, I got Hutch confused with Lange in my head and I was reading this thinking that it was simply the Jets PR machine at work. I then realized that it was Hutch. Made me feel a little better about the J-Mac talk.

Hopefully its not idle chatter and he is back on his game. That would make this offense so much more potent. I honestly don't see Cotchery putting up much better numbers than he did last year. That's ok though if J-Mac is ready to put his best foot forward and become the player we thought he was going to be.

OTAs are a far cry from the regular season. Without pads, anyone can look good (even Adrian Clarke). Lets see what happens throughout the summer.

All Pro
    I'm not a huge J-Mac fan, but I don't understand the desire to dump him. Jets have loads of cap space this year, and it's not like there are quality guys out there on the street waiting to be signed. Makes no sense to clear cap dollars this year if we can't use them. Better to keep J-Mac around, then try to upgrade next year if need be.

Plus, if his cap number is really around $3M, then that's on par for a #3 WR in the NFL these days.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops
    I'm not a huge J-Mac fan, but I don't understand the desire to dump him. Jets have loads of cap space this year, and it's not like there are quality guys out there on the street waiting to be signed. Makes no sense to clear cap dollars this year if we can't use them. Better to keep J-Mac around, then try to upgrade next year if need be.

Plus, if his cap number is really around $3M, then that's on par for a #3 WR in the NFL these days.
    If he'd just get rid of the alligator arms and show some balls he'd be fantastic. He is showing that in OTA's with no contact. Let's see how it plays out.