Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: 21 of 22 starters returning. And what it says about the coach and/or team.

  1. #1
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    in the 90's
    Posts
    28,412

    21 of 22 starters returning. And what it says about the coach and/or team.

    Every starter from last year except Askew has come back. Now do you think that is a reflection on the team, coach or both? I say its both, I know most of the players couldnt leave because of contracts. But the ones that could have left stayed, thats a reflection that the coach is doing something right with the team. The players want to play for Mangini, they know tht the organization is heading in the right direction..and that they are not to far away. And on to why its a reflection of the team, and organization. The players believe in Tannenbaum and the plans he has for this team. They know that they will be taken care of and that the Jets team is one they would want to stay with. I say we have one of the best teams, and spirit in the NFL.

    MORE: The players have such chemistry with eachother they prob do not want to leave their friends or "brothers" thats one thing u could have seen last year. Lots of talking and hugging. I cant wait for the season!

  2. #2
    it helps when Askew was the only free agent that was a starter.

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    5,356
    lots of hugging

    trust me. They players who were free agents (i dont even know who) would all have left more for more money. This is a business. It has nothing to do with not wanting to leave their brothers.

  4. #4
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    in the 90's
    Posts
    28,412
    Quote Originally Posted by bman
    lots of hugging

    trust me. They players who were free agents (i dont even know who) would all have left more for more money. This is a business. It has nothing to do with not wanting to leave their brothers.
    haha I knew that line would get you guys.

  5. #5
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    2,230
    We only had one free agent that was a solid starter, Askew, who left. Clements was resigned because he couldnt find a better place to go, and we couldn't find a better replacement.

    So as far as FA starters are concerned... we are 0-1.
    This offseason had more to do with us not having any quality players becoming FA's, It's probably stupid to believe that everyone is still on the team because this is such a popular destination for FA players...

  6. #6
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,325
    Quote Originally Posted by player1322
    We only had one free agent that was a solid starter, Askew, who left. Clements was resigned because he couldnt find a better place to go, and we couldn't find a better replacement.

    So as far as FA starters are concerned... we are 0-1.
    This offseason had more to do with us not having any quality players becoming FA's, It's probably stupid to believe that everyone is still on the team because this is such a popular destination for FA players...
    But don't forget that some players never BECAME free agents b/c the front office was smart enough to sign them ahead of time. . .

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH
    But don't forget that some players never BECAME free agents b/c the front office was smart enough to sign them ahead of time. . .
    Who?
    Cotchery was not slated to be a FA until after this upcoming season.

  8. #8
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    2,230
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH
    But don't forget that some players never BECAME free agents b/c the front office was smart enough to sign them ahead of time. . .
    No one that was given an extension was currently in a contract year. The FO was very smart in resigning certain valuable players before they hit FA.

    But as far as players already hitting FA goes... Lets not pretend that FA's are fighting eachother for a roster spot on the NY Jets

    EDIT: Was B. Thomas in the last year of his contract? I didn't think he was, but obviously I could be wrong...

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    22,714
    Quote Originally Posted by player1322
    No one that was given an extension was currently in a contract year. The FO was very smart in resigning certain valuable players before they hit FA.

    But as far as players already hitting FA goes... Lets not pretend that FA's are fighting eachother for a roster spot on the NY Jets
    Bryan Thomas.......

  10. #10
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    2,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    Bryan Thomas.......
    I edited my post cause I couldn't remember if he was in his last year or not.

  11. #11
    Thomas, yes that's right. Their ONE valuable free agent that they re-signed and that was an obvious one because he would've gotten big money from the 49ers if he had hit the FA market (after they lost out on Adalius).

    So that 21/22 starters returning thing says nothing really about the front office.

    Front office does a good job, but this is not an example of it.

  12. #12
    Seems that for the past 2 seasons now we have lost no one significant in Free Agency. I think the FO is doing somthing right. Interestingly, next offseason looks to be another on where all of the significant contributors are signed.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us