Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Our Backup TE Situation

  1. #1

    Our Backup TE Situation

    I think Chris Baker is an excellent (but underused) #1 tight end. But if he goes down with a serious injury (as he did in 2005), who's going to take his place?
    Sean Ryan? Pociask? Kowalewski?

    Although the latter two are unknowns and could turn out to be decent players, I'm a litttle concerned about our depth here. Should the Jets be looking for another option?

  2. #2
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,731
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerricho89
    I think Chris Baker is an excellent (but underused) #1 tight end. But if he goes down with a serious injury (as he did in 2005), who's going to take his place?
    Sean Ryan? Pociask? Kowalewski?

    Although the latter two are unknowns and could turn out to be decent players, I'm a litttle concerned about our depth here. Should the Jets be looking for another option?
    Sean Ryan#2
    Kowalewski/FA or Trade #3

    Pociask gets cut.

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,349
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7
    Sean Ryan#2
    Kowalewski/FA or Trade #3

    Pociask gets cut.
    I disagree....I think it's very likely Pociask makes the roster. Pociask was an excellent blocker in college and will make the roster because of his blocking abilities alone. We only traded for Ryan because Pociask had suffered a season ending injury, and it's not like Sean Ryan really did anything to impress anybody last season.

    I'd say Pociask is second on the depth chart, and Dearth is 3rd because of his Long Snapping Abilities.

    If Baker gets hurt though, we're probably in trouble there as Pociask isn't much of a weapon out of the backfield (And neither is/was Ryan). But you could say that about 3/4 of the league as well.

  4. #4
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,780
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m
    I disagree....I think it's very likely Pociask makes the roster. Pociask was an excellent blocker in college and will make the roster because of his blocking abilities alone. We only traded for Ryan because Pociask had suffered a season ending injury, and it's not like Sean Ryan really did anything to impress anybody last season.

    I'd say Pociask is second on the depth chart, and Dearth is 3rd because of his Long Snapping Abilities.

    If Baker gets hurt though, we're probably in trouble there as Pociask isn't much of a weapon out of the backfield (And neither is/was Ryan). But you could say that about 3/4 of the league as well.
    Pociask is a Sean Ryan Clone. Ryan contributed on special teams, blocked well, but he maybe "a hold the fort guy". IMO opinion it will be an interesting competition. It's important to note, the Jets didn't draft any TE's, nothing in free agency, not even an undrafted free agent.
    Kowaleski is interesting because he is more of a receiving TE. IMO the Jets were very patiant with Doug Jolly, Shott wants a receiving TE. Kowaleski could be it

  5. #5
    All League
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    2,999
    Mangini's situation uses a TE with a lot of motion for throwing off blitz/gap assignments through blocking. If you remember the season, you'll surely remember the TE jumping around and shuffling behind the line before the snap. Mangini, realizing he needed that type of player and not seeing one on the roster (Baker is not a superb blocker), drafted Pocky. When the Pockster got "injured," it was time to find a replacement, which we did through trade with Ryan.

    The "TE" will be Baker, but we will carry another one who will play that motion blocker.

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,731
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m
    I disagree....I think it's very likely Pociask makes the roster. Pociask was an excellent blocker in college and will make the roster because of his blocking abilities alone. We only traded for Ryan because Pociask had suffered a season ending injury, and it's not like Sean Ryan really did anything to impress anybody last season.

    I'd say Pociask is second on the depth chart, and Dearth is 3rd because of his Long Snapping Abilities.

    If Baker gets hurt though, we're probably in trouble there as Pociask isn't much of a weapon out of the backfield (And neither is/was Ryan). But you could say that about 3/4 of the league as well.
    I disagree.
    Ryan is a proven commodity. Hes an excellent blocking TE who can line up at FB in goal line/short yardage situation. Sean Ryan did not impress b/c that is not his jobe. He did a great job as a blocker and that is what we expecte from that position. Nothing flashy. Ryanhad some decent receiving numbers at BC. If given a chance, i think Ryan is a much better receiver than Pociask.

    Pociask is a huge question mark. He was an avg player at Wisconsin and was seen as a reach by most experts. He reminds be alot of the "Boar Hunter" Anthony Schlegel. I doubt either make the team this year

  7. #7
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lindenhurst NY
    Posts
    1,917
    i hope that Kowalewski makes the team and get a big role in our offence as a REC TE. Other then baker everyone seems to be a blocking TE

  8. #8
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,349
    Quote Originally Posted by JetOrange
    Pociask is a Sean Ryan Clone. Ryan contributed on special teams, blocked well, but he maybe "a hold the fort guy". IMO opinion it will be an interesting competition. It's important to note, the Jets didn't draft any TE's, nothing in free agency, not even an undrafted free agent.
    Kowaleski is interesting because he is more of a receiving TE. IMO the Jets were very patiant with Doug Jolly, Shott wants a receiving TE. Kowaleski could be it
    Pociask and Ryan are very similar, but I like Pociask's blocking abilites better which is what I believe the Jets are looking for in this role.

    Doug Jolley was shipped out towards the end of Mangini/Shottenheimer's first camp. How exactly were they very patient? That they didn't outright cut him before then? Of course they were going to give the guy another chance to prove he was worth all the Jets invested in him, but he couldn't and was subsequently shipped out very quickly.

    While Brian Shottenheimer did coach Antonio Gates in San Diego, based on his actions here we have little reason to believe that he's looking for a Receiving Tight End, especially for a backup Tight End. Chris Baker was underutilized last season, Doug Jolley was shipped out, and they went out of their way to acquire Jason Pociask and Sean Ryan, Blocking Tight Ends. Not to mention they passed on the opportunity to bring in a competant Receiving Tight End the past 2 Offseasons with names like Vernon Davis, Greg Olsen, Randy McMichael, and Jermaine Wiggins available.

    I disagree
    .
    Ryan is a proven commodity. Hes an excellent blocking TE who can line up at FB in goal line/short yardage situation. Sean Ryan did not impress b/c that is not his jobe. He did a great job as a blocker and that is what we expecte from that position. Nothing flashy. Ryanhad some decent receiving numbers at BC. If given a chance, i think Ryan is a much better receiver than Pociask.

    Pociask is a huge question mark. He was an avg player at Wisconsin and was seen as a reach by most experts. He reminds be alot of the "Boar Hunter" Anthony Schlegel. I doubt either make the team this year
    There's a big difference between a proven commidity and a proven JAG. Ryan is an Good (But not Great) Blocker with Below Average Receiving Skills, who has marginal Special Teams value. I like the upside of Pociask more then that of Ryan (Granted, theres not much upside in either).

  9. #9
    While Brian Shottenheimer did coach Antonio Gates in San Diego, based on his actions here we have little reason to believe that he's looking for a Receiving Tight End, especially for a backup Tight End.
    Actually, Schott did not coach Gates - he only coached Brees and Rivers. People frequently assume that Schottenheimer had something to do with San Dieo's playbook and are surprised that the Jets don't use the tight end the way the Chargers used Gates. But I doubt that a QB coach has that much input into the game plans. Also, remember that Gates is an elite TE and the Chargers' WR's are below average - not the same situation with the Jets.

  10. #10
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    698
    Part of the reason why Schott didn't take any HC jobs for the upcoming season is b/c he supposedly acknowledged that being a QB coach, and then a OC for one year doesn't make you ready to run a whole team. Look to him to do a great job this year as he gets more comfortable with the players and his responsibilities.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us