Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hatton Vs. Mayweather-ESPN

All League

Hatton Vs. Mayweather-ESPN

Mayweather has called out Hatton. Looks like the fight could be set for Oct. or Nov.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=2918039

Mayweather says he's ready to hurt Hatton
    ESPN.com news services

Ricky Hatton wants a shot at Floyd Mayweather Jr., considered by many to be the best pound-for-pound fighter in boxing. It looks like he might get his wish.

Ricky Hatton cannot fight. He throws one punch at a time and then holds. Hatton is the most overrated fighter of the last 25 years.
    Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Mayweather said Tuesday he will come out of retirement to put Hatton in his place.

"I was retired but I'll sign to fight Hatton right now. I've tried to let the things he said about me slide by, but now he's 'dissing' me on national TV and I want to shut him up. I've never wanted to hurt an opponent like I do Hatton.

"Ricky Hatton cannot fight. He throws one punch at a time and then holds. Hatton is the most overrated fighter of the last 25 years."

Hatton's one-punch knockout win Saturday night over Jose Luis Castillo to retain his world junior welterweight championship just might have been the breakthrough the British fighter needed to convince fans outside his native country that he is the real thing at 140 pounds.

Like Mayweather, Hatton is undefeated. Unlike Mayweather, he fights in a wild, all-out style that should prove popular as he continues his campaign in the United States.

"There was more action in the four rounds of this fight than Floyd showed in his entire career," Hatton said.

Mayweather announced his retirement after beating Oscar De La Hoya last month.

Hatton's father, Ray, said that his son is ready to face Mayweather -- anywhere.

"We're up for the fight, you've got to be up for a fight like that," Ray Hatton told Radio Five Live in the United Kingdom. "But it doesn't always end with the two fighters. There tends to be a few people getting in between.

"Ricky is chomping at the bit. I've spoken to him a little bit before all this came out and he said it's a no-brainer. It's a definite yes.

"Ricky will fight him anywhere -- that's the difference between him and Floyd, who wants it on home turf."

Leonard Ellerbe, Mayweather's manager, said a fight could happen in the fall.

"Hatton's trying to promote himself off Floyd's name and he [Mayweather] will kick his butt. Floyd told me he wants to get the deal on," Ellerbe said, according to the Guardian newspaper. "Hatton [insulted] Floyd [on television]. But that's OK, he's had his opportunity to talk. Now all he has to do is to sign a contract and we can get this done. We can have it this year, in the fall. We don't need to wait."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Banned
    I like Hatton, but I think Mayweather will dominate him.

Hall Of Fame
    Actually, if you want to get technical, Hatton called out Mayweather.

In a post-fight, in-ring interview for everyone to see, Max Kellerman (filling in for Larry Merchant) asked Hatton if he had any words for Floyd Mayweather. Hatton's response was, "My actions speak for me. You just saw more excitement in 4 rounds of boxing then Floyd Mayweather has provided over his entire career."

That is what pissed Mayweather off and you best believe Hatton knew what he was doing by making that statement.

Banned
    Go ricky

Veteran
    That crowd that follows Hatton is amazing. His last fight was like watching a college football game. 11,000 brits in LV in an arena that holds 19,000 very impressive! He has an f'in band singing for him every round. pretty cool. that being said Mayweather is gona beat him down....to bad too cause I would love to see PBF get is azz whooozzzzaaazzaaaooopt

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by ITWT
    ........ you best believe Hatton knew what he was doing by making that statement.
    yup tryin to get paid
    Last edited by LI2OH; 06-27-2007 at 03:31 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    What Mayweather said of Hatton is totally not true and 100% the opposite of the truth. Hatton throws A LOT of punches in his fights and is always the aggressor. This could serve well for Floyd and right into his hands as a lot of thrown punches opens up lots of opportunities for counter punches (Floyd's specialty). Or it works against Floyd because he loves playing defense and keeping a fight "technical" in nature. If Hatton just keeps coming at him throwing punch after punch, it could get Floyd out of his game.

With that being said, if forced to put my money on either of them I will put my money on Floyd everytime vs. anyone until I see him get beat. He really is that good.

All League
    I think Mayweather would own him, but I would love to watch, regardless, due to the differences in styles.

Mayweather calls the shots here. Does he fight in England, where Wembley stadium could be a huge draw for 60,000+ fans and a big gate, or does he fight here in the States? Mayweather, if he decided to fight abroad, would also have to think about Hatton being the hometown favorite, and how that might affect the judges and scoring.

And yes, IT, Hatton did call out Mayweather first

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by MiamiJet
    I think Mayweather would own him, but I would love to watch, regardless, due to the differences in styles.

Mayweather calls the shots here. Does he fight in England, where Wembley stadium could be a huge draw for 60,000+ fans and a big gate, or does he fight here in the States? Mayweather, if he decided to fight abroad, would also have to think about Hatton being the hometown favorite, and how that might affect the judges and scoring.

I don't think there is any way PBF will go to England to fight. besides Hatton got 11,000 brits to follow him last time he might get 20,000 to see him fight floyd

EDIT: on second thought he does like to be the bad guy and that would be a huge gate...so i will tone down my language to probably not

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by MiamiJet

Floyd loves to be hated. I wouldn't be surprised if he wants the fight in England. That is the kind of stuff that drives him. He would like nothing more then to embarass Hatton in front of his home country while being booed every second of everyday he is there.

That's just Floyd.

Veteran
    If they fight in England, what will PBF think of to wear to the ring. I bet it is halarious

Banned
    I'm getting tired of Mayweather's act, hand-picking opponents that are tailor-made for him

Let me know when he fights someone young, in his prime, and not made to order for him .. like Cotto or Paul Williams

Till then I've paid to see Floyd Mayweather for the last time

PS. I know Hatton is in his prime, but he's tailor-made for Mayweather and a notch below the other elite Welters

I think he's smaller than Mayweather too, has to go up in weight?
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 06-27-2007 at 03:57 PM.

Banned
    Oh Yeah, one more thing ..

Can't say that I blame him for ducking the elite Welters, especially Paul Williams, cause PW will knock his block off

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham
    I'm getting tired of Mayweather's act, hand-picking opponents that are tailor-made for him

Let me know when he fights someone young, in his prime, and not made to order for him .. like Cotto or Paul Williams

Till then I've paid to see Floyd Mayweather for the last time

PS. I know Hatton is in his prime, but he's tailor-made for Mayweather and a notch below the other elite Welters

I think he's smaller than Mayweather too, has to go up in weight?
    Hatton struggled at 147 which is why he went back down to 140 to fight Castillo. I don't think Mayweather will come all the way down to 140 for him, so yes, Hatton will have to go to 147 where he is a sitting duck for Mayweather.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SINYJets

Hatton struggled at 147 which is why he went back down to 140 to fight Castillo. I don't think Mayweather will come all the way down to 140 for him, so yes, Hatton will have to go to 147 where he is a sitting duck for Mayweather.
    Thanks SINY, that's what I thought, now he's hand-pickin 140 Pounders who are tailor-made for him

This Guy has everyone fooled, had me fooled for awhile too, but I'm hip to his game now .. he's avoiding the most dangerous competition like the plague and he's a little overrated too .. IMO Paul Williams will clean his clock

Veteran
    Oh Yeah, one more thing ..

Can't say that I blame him for ducking the elite Welters, especially Paul Williams, cause PW will knock his block off

It will be nice to see Williams vs Margarito where the winner gets Cotto. To see the last man of these 3 standing get a shot at Mayweather would only be fair. My money goes on a Williams/Cotto fight with Cotto winning and hopefully fiighting Mayweather next year...maybe at the Garden the night before the Puerto Rican Parade. Malignaggi in '06, Judah in '07 and Mayweather in '08? Would be a nice fight.

All League
    Thanks SINY, that's what I thought, now he's hand-pickin 140 Pounders who are tailor-made for him

This Guy has everyone fooled, had me fooled for awhile too, but I'm hip to his game now .. he's avoiding the most dangerous competition like the plague and he's a little overrated too .. IMO Paul Williams will clean his clock
    Ham, I know you love Williams, but I was disappointed the last time I saw him(HBO). I think he may have bitten off more than he can chew with Margarito.

I think it could be a great fight, BUT, Margarito has done nothing but impress me. I think the July 14th card will be tremendous and I'm also looking forward to the Gatti-Gomez undercard.

Why are you so high on Williams?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SINYJets

It will be nice to see Williams vs Margarito where the winner gets Cotto. To see the last man of these 3 standing get a shot at Mayweather would only be fair. My money goes on a Williams/Cotto fight with Cotto winning and hopefully fiighting Mayweather next year...maybe at the Garden the night before the Puerto Rican Parade. Malignaggi in '06, Judah in '07 and Mayweather in '08? Would be a nice fight.
    My only Question is, why should these three {Williams, Maragrito and Cotto} have to fight one another till one is left standing for Floyd .. I thought Floyd was supposed to be the best, that's what he keeps telling everyone, so why isn't he champing at the bit to knock these guys off in big money fights?

Because he's a BS Artist, that's why .. he's full of hot air .. Good fighter, has skills, but he's not a Great fighter because Great fighters don't duck the best competition for as long as this guy has, always looking for the easy ones .. if you're Sugar Ray Leonard you fight all of the best, Duran, Hearns, Benitez, Hagler, etc, and if you wanna be thought of in that light {as Mayweather does}, you do likewise or you're full of hot air
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 06-27-2007 at 04:17 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    why isn't he champing at the bit to knock these guys off in big money fights?
    Because a fight vs. Hatton will make him more money then a fight against any of those other guys (besides maybe Cotto). And, if he fights and beats Hatton, Cotto should be next on his list.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ITWT

Because a fight vs. Hatton will make him more money then a fight against any of those other guys (besides maybe Cotto). And, if he fights and beats Hatton, Cotto should be next on his list.
    That may be true, I'm sure plenty of fight fans are still willing to fork over 50 bucks to watch Floyd dominate a smaller man and another hand-picked opponent who is tailor-made for him, but I'm not one of them, this guy has fooled me for the last time .. now it's time to take a dangerous fight {Williams, Cotto or Marargito}, otherwise I'm not interested