Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My non-homer view of the 2007 Jets: Offense

Banned

My non-homer view of the 2007 Jets: Offense

I love the Jets and have a overall positive feeling about the direction of things under “Tangini”. I really think Woody deserves some kudos for handing things over to two young, smart football guys. I was really pissed about the whole Westside stadium thing falling apart, and I’m not happy about being roommates with the Giants for the next couple decades. But overall Woody’s reign has been pretty fruitful.

Wide receivers. A-

I like our wide outs. Cotch and Coles are hard workers, and Brad Smith opens up a bunch of options for the play caller. I know McCariens is overpaid, but I like his size in the slot, and he has the speed to spell Coles. I am excited to see our new rookie draft pick Stuckley. He seems to fit the Coles/Cotchery mold.

Backfield. B+

Jones and Washington should be a nice one /two punch. However, neither is a big time, game changing back. I loved Sowell, and Askew wasn’t bad, but now the all important FB spot is wide open again. Washington is a 4-5 year career guy, and Jones has about two years left. So, this position needs to be addressed in the draft next year. Can you say Ray Rice????

O-Line. B-

Mangold and D’Brick are very good young guys. Ok, what about the other three open spots on the line??? And what happens when our young center and LT need to be re-signed in 2-3 years? The o-line kept it’s head above water because of Kendall. With him out of the mix, it’s gunna’ be a huge question mark.

Quaterbacks. B-

This is Penningtons last year here. I am a HUGE fan of Chad and I love having a QB who you can be proud of as a leader and a hard worker with guts. But he just turned 31. He gets grossly overpaid. And his arm gets weaker everyday. I think we’ll see Clemmons before the season is over. Our number 3 is total garbage… BTW.

Tight Ends. C-

Baker can block well, but he’s slow and is not a playmaker when it counts. He’s really not a mismatch for most linebackers, so he’s a ok #2 TE at best. We did nothing to help our situation regarding one of the key positions on our offense. A QB like Chad counts on his TE more than the average NFL QB. The fact Graham and McMichael were available and we did nothing to land them hurts.

We have a B- offense that will probably be ranked around #20 overall when it’s all said and done. We’ll be lucky to see 20 points per game.

I think the story this year will be the FB and TE positions and how we have no talent there. Like I said, with a QB like Chad, those two positions are ultra important.

This is my first post here, thanx for letting me join!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Matisyahu
    I love the Jets and have a overall positive feeling about the direction of things under “Tangini”. I really think Woody deserves some kudos for handing things over to two young, smart football guys. I was really pissed about the whole Westside stadium thing falling apart, and I’m not happy about being roommates with the Giants for the next couple decades. But overall Woody’s reign has been pretty fruitful.

Wide receivers. A-

I like our wide outs. Cotch and Coles are hard workers, and Brad Smith opens up a bunch of options for the play caller. I know McCariens is overpaid, but I like his size in the slot, and he has the speed to spell Coles. I am excited to see our new rookie draft pick Stuckley. He seems to fit the Coles/Cotchery mold.

Backfield. B+

Jones and Washington should be a nice one /two punch. However, neither is a big time, game changing back. I loved Sowell, and Askew wasn’t bad, but now the all important FB spot is wide open again. Washington is a 4-5 year career guy, and Jones has about two years left. So, this position needs to be addressed in the draft next year. Can you say Ray Rice????

O-Line. B-

Mangold and D’Brick are very good young guys. Ok, what about the other three open spots on the line??? And what happens when our young center and LT need to be re-signed in 2-3 years? The o-line kept it’s head above water because of Kendall. With him out of the mix, it’s gunna’ be a huge question mark.

Quaterbacks. B-

This is Penningtons last year here. I am a HUGE fan of Chad and I love having a QB who you can be proud of as a leader and a hard worker with guts. But he just turned 31. He gets grossly overpaid. And his arm gets weaker everyday. I think we’ll see Clemmons before the season is over. Our number 3 is total garbage… BTW.

Tight Ends. C-

Baker can block well, but he’s slow and is not a playmaker when it counts. He’s really not a mismatch for most linebackers, so he’s a ok #2 TE at best. We did nothing to help our situation regarding one of the key positions on our offense. A QB like Chad counts on his TE more than the average NFL QB. The fact Graham and McMichael were available and we did nothing to land them hurts.

We have a B- offense that will probably be ranked around #20 overall when it’s all said and done. We’ll be lucky to see 20 points per game.

I think the story this year will be the FB and TE positions and how we have no talent there. Like I said, with a QB like Chad, those two positions are ultra important.

This is my first post here, thanx for letting me join!
    Wow, a Jets fan with an objective viewpoint.

Welcome to the board.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX

Welcome to the board.
    Thanx, this board is awesome. And Tom Brady is a fag =)

All League
    Welcome aboard. I agree with pretty much everything you said--I too have faith in Tangini and give Woody kudos for taking a risk on them, but remain insanely pissed about the WSS thing and the Giants Stadium II debacle. Oh, and I love Matisyahu.

I agree with most of what you said--I love Thomas Jones, but he's not a true game-changer, and eventually we're going to have to seriously improve the OL to let him play his best. Speaking of which, with all the questions about the OL, I'd actually give it a C instead of a B-, but that's personal opinion.

To me, Pennington remains the biggest question mark. Can he stay healthy for another full season? Can he become more than a game manager? Which is the real Chad--the guy who led the league in passer rating in 2002, or the guy who threw one more TD than INT last season?

Anyway, solid post, and, again, welcome!

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Welcome to the board.
    Indeed as rare as Hens teeth I would venture to say..

Moderator VIP Visionary
    Darien Barnes might be the answer at FB. I know everyone loves Ray Rice.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Jones has more than two years left.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by SBIIICHAMPS
    Jones has more than two years left.
    How many 32-year old RB's in the NFL are effective at that age?

Didn't you learn from CuMar's rapid decline?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive
    Darien Barnes might be the answer at FB. I know everyone loves Ray Rice.
    Yeah but just because of the last name..

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Welcome to the board, and great name. I'm a big fan, saw him live at Rutgers a few years back and he's really entertaining live.

JetsInsider.com Legend

I guess you do not know, that Jones was only worked hard since 2004? He has alot of mileage left.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Old backs don't decline..The just compile away..

i agree with what u said wxcept i think baker is very under rated. hes faster than alot of you think and hes an upancomming playmaker. just look at the catch he had against clevland. he was in bounds regardless of the final ruling but that was the best catch i saw a year b/c any reciever on our team. and im talkin about the catch its self i mean cothcery and coles made better plays but baker had one of if not the best catch of the year.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I guess you do not know, that Jones was only worked hard since 2004? He has alot of mileage left.
    That doesn't mean a thing.

RB's in the NFL on the north side of 30, decline extremely rapidly.

Banned
    Very nice analysis. I'm very much looking forward to the defense.

Like the username too.

JetsInsider.com Legend

Yes, I understand. But this guy is in a better physical shape..if not the best shape of any RB...30 and over. SO his health is pretty well maintained.

Charter JI Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matisyahu
    Thanx, this board is awesome.
    be polite this time around, ok

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

That's true Tex but you got great production out of Dillon for a 2nd pick at a older age..We swapped 2nd rd picks so I don't think it was a bad deal for us either and he's younger..

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Yes, I understand. But this guy is in a better physical shape..if not the best shape of any RB...30 and over. SO his health is pretty well maintained.
    Again, that doesn't mean a thing.

As soon as RB's lose that half step, which happens because of age, they decline in production extremely rapidly.

You are kidding yourself if you think Jones is the Jets long term solution at RB.

More than any other position, RB is a "young guys" position.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetswin
    be polite this time around, ok
    Who is it???