Thread: OT: Fighter Jets are so effin' cool

JetsInsider.com Legend

OT: Fighter Jets are so effin' cool

Dog Fight Training for a F-15

These guys have to have stomachs made of cast iron. The thought of the G-Force alone in these things is enough to make you shiver.

Seriously though, few things in this world are cooler to watch than an American fighter jet in action.

Great soundtrack to this clip too.

JetsFan2012
    uh-oh... prepare to incur the wrath of Gagoots

JetsFan2012
    awesome video, and excellent choice for background music too

I wish I had the balls, the smarts, the guile, the toughness, and the overall talent of not throwing up to be a fighter pilot.

JetsInsider.com Legend

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec
    awesome video, and excellent choice for background music too

I wish I had the balls, the smarts, the guile, the toughness, and the overall talent of not throwing up to be a fighter pilot.
    No kidding.

I go above a buck 10 in my Accord and I get get shaky, these guys are going faster than sound at times.

TMahoney
    Cool thread.

Check out the F22 on modern marvels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBUmR...elated&search=

Practice Squad
    Also, Don't forget to check out the History Channels show about dogfights. Looks like Friday is the season premier.

They interview the pilots that have been in the actual dogfights and have awesome computer graphics reconstructing the fights.

http://www.history.com/minisites/dogfights/

JetsFan2012
    Quote Originally Posted by totallygreen
    Also, Don't forget to check out the History Channels show about dogfights. Looks like Friday is the season premier.

They interview the pilots that have been in the actual dogfights and have awesome computer graphics reconstructing the fights.

http://www.history.com/minisites/dogfights/

That's a great show, one of my favs.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RutgersJetFan

These guys have to have stomachs made of cast iron. The thought of the G-Force alone in these things is enough to make you shiver.

Seriously though, few things in this world are cooler to watch than an American fighter jet in action.

Great video. Greatest job in the world IMO. Just wish I would have had the foresight to finish my bachelors degree before I turn 30 next summer or I would have love to try and get into flight school.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by JYtheJETSfan
    Great video. Greatest job in the world IMO. Just wish I would have had the foresight to finish my bachelors degree before I turn 30 next summer or I would have love to try and get into flight school.
    I'm not sure I could even if I wanted to be. Isn't 20/20 vision a requirement?

All League

Reminds me of my time behind the controls of Warbirds on the Atari Lynx back in '92.

I don't like to talk about it though.
    Last edited by jxc; 07-11-2007 at 12:59 AM.

JetsFan2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jxc
    Reminds me of my time behind the controls of Warbirds on the Atari Lynx back in '92.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by jxc

You had a Lynx? You must have been the man on your block.

Those things were the size of an oversized brick.

All League
    You had a Lynx? You must have been the man on your block.

Those things were the size of an oversized brick.
    It seems like there was a time when I owned or had access to no less than 3 Lynxes. Two were the original design, one was the Lynx II.

First portable with a color screen and a little something called "hardware scaling". Not to mention the capability to link up to 16 systems together. A friend and myself even got the development materials for it. We were going to make games.

Alas, we were young and in over our heads and nothing ever came of it. However our company name was on Atari's "developer list" for a while.

BTW: youtube has the old LYNX television ads. There's also a free emulator out there so that you can play all the games on your PC for a trip down memory lane. http://atariage.com has the details. It's fun for about 5 minutes.
    Last edited by jxc; 07-11-2007 at 02:56 AM.

Banned
    this is cooler.......i want one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSRHNLxSzIA

Veteran
    I'm not sure I could even if I wanted to be. Isn't 20/20 vision a requirement?

Ive read that your vision at least has to be correctable to 20/20. I also know that the health screening is very vigorous and it takes a miracle to get into flight school.

Aside from that if you can do it you would have what I believe to be the greatest job in the world. Plus the benefit of having a stellar resume to apply for the astronaut training program with nasa.

Hall Of Fame
    can't believe I missed this thread. There was an f-15 in CT July 3rd, circling at about 500 feet, directly over my head !!!!

He was practicing for a 7/4 SEAL demonstration that they do every year.

very cool to see one that close in flight

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by samwise
    can't believe I missed this thread. There was an f-15 in CT July 3rd, circling at about 500 feet, directly over my head !!!!

He was practicing for a 7/4 SEAL demonstration that they do every year.

very cool to see one that close in flight

Sweet. I live next to an Military Base (Los Alamitos) and there's f-15's, f-16's, c-5 Galaxies, and pretty much every fighter jet you can think of, and they fly right over my house a couple times a week. Even saw some Harrier jets hovering on the 4th of July. They literally shake the walls of my place when they fly over, extremely loud. My wife and I always run outside when we hear them coming. Some are so close that you can see in the cockpit. It's like having an air show all the time, really cool stuff.

http://www.calguard.ca.gov/sli/

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...s-alamitos.htm

Edited: This is also the base that the president flies into when he comes to the West Coast.
    Last edited by Buzzsaw; 07-12-2007 at 11:24 PM.