Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Double standard for athletes?

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Englewood Cliffs
    Posts
    4,672

    Double standard for athletes?

    With these recent scandals including Vick, NBA referees, and steroids in baseball, it seems all we hear about are the legal troubles the professional leagues and their athletes have. More and more often, these athletes are painted as thugs. If they get into a scuffle with cops, it not only hurts the player, but hurts the entire league, since the media swarms to it.

    However, let's say the same amount of football players who got in trouble equaled the same amount of computer programmers who broke the law. Would that make them thugs? Are computer programmers a group we should watch out for?

    I know that athletes are higher profile and are role models for kids, but it seems as if the media cares more about the off the field stuff now more than the actual stats and play. This causes the general population who don't follow sports so closely to think that our professional leagues are a bunch of goons, while other industries may have the same amount of offenders.

  2. #2
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Manhattan, NY
    Posts
    9,932
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt245
    With these recent scandals including Vick, NBA referees, and steroids in baseball, it seems all we hear about are the legal troubles the professional leagues and their athletes have. More and more often, these athletes are painted as thugs. If they get into a scuffle with cops, it not only hurts the player, but hurts the entire league, since the media swarms to it.

    However, let's say the same amount of football players who got in trouble equaled the same amount of computer programmers who broke the law. Would that make them thugs? Are computer programmers a group we should watch out for?

    I know that athletes are higher profile and are role models for kids, but it seems as if the media cares more about the off the field stuff now more than the actual stats and play. This causes the general population who don't follow sports so closely to think that our professional leagues are a bunch of goons, while other industries may have the same amount of offenders.
    That's part of the price of being famous, it's no different that actors/actresses, musicians, or any other job with heightened media notice. It's unfair, but a fact of life, if you work a famous profession, then you will be under much more scruitny, the players know this going in. Part of the increased salary is a tax on dealing with the media

  3. #3
    So the media should ignore the dog fighting and wife beating and just cover them on Sunday? I mean really these guy's want the spot light then complain when it cuts both ways. Stop making ****ty excuses for bad behavior by the few. Most of the Pro's in sports are good guy's. They just sell no papers with their usual vanilla lives they lead.

  4. #4
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Toledo Area, Ohio
    Posts
    1,067
    Quote Originally Posted by TKasper01
    So the media should ignore the dog fighting and wife beating and just cover them on Sunday? I mean really these guy's want the spot light then complain when it cuts both ways. Stop making ****ty excuses for bad behavior by the few. Most of the Pro's in sports are good guy's. They just sell no papers with their usual vanilla lives they lead.
    100% agree, most of these guys in sports are good guys, but smut and sex sells....plain and simple.

  5. #5
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    126
    There is a double standard in sports. That is that for any normal person without a high paying high profile job, any of the things (DWI, Dog Fighting indictment, drug possession) would most likely get fired or suspended on the spot without due process. The legal system would handle things on their end but the company they are working for would immediately get rid of them. So that is your double standard. Vick and anyone else breaking the law should be held to the same standards as the rest of society. Being a millionaire should not mean you get treated differently but unfortunately it often does happen that way. People make excuses for you when you are a talent as well. The NFL, NBA and MLB are businesses. It is a priviledge to work for them not a god given right. Even with unions, other jobs (aka Police, fire dept) would at least have a suspension pending the results of the litigation.

  6. #6
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Toledo Area, Ohio
    Posts
    1,067
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirk55
    There is a double standard in sports. That is that for any normal person without a high paying high profile job, any of the things (DWI, Dog Fighting indictment, drug possession) would most likely get fired or suspended on the spot without due process. The legal system would handle things on their end but the company they are working for would immediately get rid of them. So that is your double standard. Vick and anyone else breaking the law should be held to the same standards as the rest of society. Being a millionaire should not mean you get treated differently but unfortunately it often does happen that way. People make excuses for you when you are a talent as well. The NFL, NBA and MLB are businesses. It is a priviledge to work for them not a god given right. Even with unions, other jobs (aka Police, fire dept) would at least have a suspension pending the results of the litigation.
    These two excellent points are the ones that the tv personalities are ignoring. Those are fact, plain and simple, no way round them. He is already getting special treatment cause of his profession and standing in that profession. I believe a JAG offensive lineman would have already been released and vilified by everyone in the media.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,689
    I find it hard to work up much sympathy for rich people who get in trouble. Especially stupid ones.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt245
    With these recent scandals including Vick, NBA referees, and steroids in baseball, it seems all we hear about are the legal troubles the professional leagues and their athletes have. More and more often, these athletes are painted as thugs. If they get into a scuffle with cops, it not only hurts the player, but hurts the entire league, since the media swarms to it.

    However, let's say the same amount of football players who got in trouble equaled the same amount of computer programmers who broke the law. Would that make them thugs? Are computer programmers a group we should watch out for?

    I know that athletes are higher profile and are role models for kids, but it seems as if the media cares more about the off the field stuff now more than the actual stats and play. This causes the general population who don't follow sports so closely to think that our professional leagues are a bunch of goons, while other industries may have the same amount of offenders.


    And worse is when people of past generations start the OMG NO ONE DID THAT IN MY DAY crap. No, reporters just weren't as nosy back then as they are now.

    People like to read about rich people's problems and drama, it makes them feel good. People love to point to a rich guy who f*cked up and say "THAT guy is a bad guy." It makes the public feel good to be able to rip a rich guy.

    And if someone dares to question why they do this? The "role model" and "well they chose to limelight" cards are thrown out.

    It's the same kind of thing that makes Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan famous, people love to read about the problems and weaknesses of rich people. Their money and fame magnifies mistakes, and you know...non-rich people don't have weaknesses and stuff so it all fits.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 07-24-2007 at 03:43 PM.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Blocker
    I find it hard to work up much sympathy for rich people who get in trouble. Especially stupid ones.

  10. #10
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,705
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt245
    However, let's say the same amount of football players who got in trouble equaled the same amount of computer programmers who broke the law. Would that make them thugs? Are computer programmers a group we should watch out for?
    I am working with programmers for many years and I am telling you - a tough bunch, I would watch out for them. Every time they are asking for a raise I am thinking -what a bunch of thugs! And they are dangerous too - plus all those light sabers they have in cubicles..

  11. #11
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    the CURB
    Posts
    171
    Its the price they pay for making 6 figures and playing a game they love (we hope) for their career... everything has its upside and downside... they know going in that they will be high profile... nobody forced them to play football.. they could have hit the books and got a desk job...

  12. #12
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    6,917
    Quote Originally Posted by RussianGreen
    I am working with programmers for many years and I am telling you - a tough bunch, I would watch out for them. Every time they are asking for a raise I am thinking -what a bunch of thugs! And they are dangerous too - plus all those light sabers they have in cubicles..
    LMAO

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,689
    Quote Originally Posted by RussianGreen
    I am working with programmers for many years and I am telling you - a tough bunch, I would watch out for them. Every time they are asking for a raise I am thinking -what a bunch of thugs! And they are dangerous too - plus all those light sabers they have in cubicles..
    Heh!

  14. #14
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,339
    Yea it is a double standard. Double standards arent always bad things. This is a double standard they sign up for when they put their names on 7 figure contracts. I dont remember the last time i saw a kid wearing a computer programmer jersey around the street. In all honesty tho, the majority of the people you seeing wearing Vick jerseys, this prolly will make his jersey sales double

  15. #15
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Toledo Area, Ohio
    Posts
    1,067
    Quote Originally Posted by MainManMickens24
    Yea it is a double standard. Double standards arent always bad things. This is a double standard they sign up for when they put their names on 7 figure contracts. I dont remember the last time i saw a kid wearing a computer programmer jersey around the street. In all honesty tho, the majority of the people you seeing wearing Vick jerseys, this prolly will make his jersey sales double
    Thats an interesting point, I would like to see the sales of his jersey since the indictment up until the ruling in the trial. I can't believe many non-die hard Vick guys would buy that jersey right now, but who knows, people are retarded.

  16. #16
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,349
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt245
    With these recent scandals including Vick, NBA referees, and steroids in baseball, it seems all we hear about are the legal troubles the professional leagues and their athletes have. More and more often, these athletes are painted as thugs. If they get into a scuffle with cops, it not only hurts the player, but hurts the entire league, since the media swarms to it.

    However, let's say the same amount of football players who got in trouble equaled the same amount of computer programmers who broke the law. Would that make them thugs? Are computer programmers a group we should watch out for?

    I know that athletes are higher profile and are role models for kids, but it seems as if the media cares more about the off the field stuff now more than the actual stats and play. This causes the general population who don't follow sports so closely to think that our professional leagues are a bunch of goons, while other industries may have the same amount of offenders.
    I agree that proportionally the percentage of Football Players in trouble is probably not much higher then that of numerous other professions, however.... When you're in the public eye, you're held to a higher standard, and that's not just on the field. Football players are role models for Millions of Americans and thus they need to act in a manner that sets a good example for the Millions of Americans who idolize them.

    As pointed out, if you or me were indicted on Dog-Fighting charges, we would be fired on the spot, well before the case ever got to a jury, because we'd be bad for the company (Blah Blah). They're already getting special treatment based off of their talent and the money involved with these players.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by zonajetfan
    Thats an interesting point, I would like to see the sales of his jersey since the indictment up until the ruling in the trial.
    They're down.

  18. #18
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Bayville & Sec334
    Posts
    2,099
    DUMP.

    You're an ass if you think we should ignore their behavior.
    You're an ass if you think the police are only after them because they play football.
    You're an ass if you think we should track computer programmers like athletes.

    just dump this dumb ass thread.

    we are getting desperate for topics and opinions.

  19. #19
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Englewood Cliffs
    Posts
    4,672
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetsound
    DUMP.

    You're an ass if you think we should ignore their behavior.
    You're an ass if you think the police are only after them because they play football.
    You're an ass if you think we should track computer programmers like athletes.

    just dump this dumb ass thread.

    we are getting desperate for topics and opinions.
    hey pal take it easy

    my point was that with all the media attention the scandals get, it gives non sports fans a false idea of what the game is about

    for example, i got friends who hate the NBA... absolutely hate it... so now, when they get wind of this referee scandal, it just adds fuel to the fire... in the meantime, they ignore the fact that teams like the suns play great and fun basketball day in and day out, or a team like the spurs actually stays out of trouble, plays together, and wins championships... they like to just call them a bunch of thugs who now partake in rigged games

    in no way am i saying that we should ignore what the players or ref did... it should be stopped, so the leagues can get back to what i want them to be portrayed as

    its almost as if you completely misread my post

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us