Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Mark Teixeira a Brave--Deal is in place

  1. #1
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    16,458

    Mark Teixeira a Brave--Deal is in place

    Did the balance of power just shift in the NL East?



    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2954457

    The Atlanta Braves appear to be the winner for the right to acquire first baseman Mark Teixeira from the Texas Rangers.

    A preliminary agreement has been reached between the teams for Atlanta to receive Teixeira and left-handed reliever Ron Mahay from Texas for catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia, minor league shortstop Elvis Andrus and two minor league pitchers.

    Baseball America rates Saltalamacchia and Andrus as the Braves' top two prospects in their organization.

    The Fort-Worth Star Telegram, citing a Rangers source, is reporting that the two pitchers Texas will receive are 19-year-old right-hander Nestali Feliz and another pitcher to be determined.

    The deal will be finalized once players' medical records are reviewed. Major League Baseball's deadline to trade players without securing waivers is Tuesday at 4 p.m. ET.

    Teixeira, a 27-year-old switch-hitting slugger, has won two Gold Gloves at first base. He is batting .297 this season with 13 home runs and 49 RBIs. Since breaking into the majors with Texas in 2003, Teixeira has had seasons of 26, 38, 43 and 33 home runs.

    Only Ralph Kiner, Albert Pujols and Eddie Mathews hit more than the 140 homers that Teixeira had in his first four major league seasons. He had at least 33 homers and 110 RBIs in each of the past three.

    Teixeira missed 27 games because of a strained left quadriceps muscle sustained running out a ground ball. The Rangers were 16-11 when he was out of the lineup after he played in a team record 507 consecutive games. He will be eligible for salary arbitration after making $9 million this season.

    Among the teams that reportedly negotiated with the Rangers for Teixeira were the Los Angeles Dodgers, Los Angeles Angels and Boston Red Sox.

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    19,005
    I think the Mets will be ok, but it is a big move by the braves. They have a sick line up on paper now, that is for sure. It will definitely make things more interesting.

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    19,005
    Rotoworld is now reporting that the Braves are trying hard to acquire Octavio Dotel.

    Mets might need to make a move to counter.

  4. #4
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    698
    I would like to acquire a nice veal saltimbocca myself, anyone willing to work out a trade?

  5. #5
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,459
    I think this will be good for the mets. Something needs to light a fire under these guys. I can't help, but think this team doesn't get up for enough games. Swept by Philly at home, they talk about revenge and go take 3 out of 4 from them. Swept by LA, same thing they talk about revenge and take 3 out of 4. Am I the only one that feels they only turn it up when they want to?

  6. #6
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    2,790
    Quote Originally Posted by sjjetfan
    I think this will be good for the mets. Something needs to light a fire under these guys. I can't help, but think this team doesn't get up for enough games. Swept by Philly at home, they talk about revenge and go take 3 out of 4 from them. Swept by LA, same thing they talk about revenge and take 3 out of 4. Am I the only one that feels they only turn it up when they want to?
    Well, they did get "revenge" on both the Dodgers and Phillies. They took 3 games from each of them after getting swept in 3-game series. The difference was that the latter two series were 4-gamers. Two things: How do you know the Mets would have lost all four games to both teams if the earlier series were 4-gamers? Also, I don't care how bad or good a team is it's pretty damn hard thing to sweep a 4-game series from anyone.

    Know what I mean?

  7. #7
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,459
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleedgreen
    Well, they did get "revenge" on both the Dodgers and Phillies. They took 3 games from each of them after getting swept in 3-game series. The difference was that the latter two series were 4-gamers. Two things: How do you know the Mets would have lost all four games to both teams if the earlier series were 4-gamers? Also, I don't care how bad or good a team is it's pretty damn hard thing to sweep a 4-game series from anyone.

    Know what I mean?
    No, I wasn't complaining about the revenge. They certainly got their revenge both times, but my point is there never should have been a reason for revenge if they got up for the first series and didn't get swept. It's like they go out of their way the second time to prove they are the better team when they should have just taken care of business in the first place.

  8. #8
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    From Parts Unknown
    Posts
    10,289
    Teixeira doesn't scare me.. He had a monster year in 2005. But fell way off last season, and although he is batting .300 this year, he still isn't producing the HR's and RBI he once did... I think he is a product of the tougher drug testing policies.

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    19,005
    Quote Originally Posted by 24
    Teixeira doesn't scare me.. He had a monster year in 2005. But fell way off last season, and although he is batting .300 this year, he still isn't producing the HR's and RBI he once did... I think he is a product of the tougher drug testing policies.
    Im by no means saying he was a product of performance enhancing drugs, but it is true that he has decline every year since that monster 05 season. Also, Turner field is a lot tougher to hit in than the sand box they have in Arlington.

  10. #10
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    From Parts Unknown
    Posts
    10,289
    Quote Originally Posted by ruby2glocks
    Im by no means saying he was a product of performance enhancing drugs, but it is true that he has decline every year since that monster 05 season. Also, Turner field is a lot tougher to hit in than the sand box they have in Arlington.
    Yes. Although he is having a better year this year then he did last year.. But his power isnt getting better

  11. #11
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    From Parts Unknown
    Posts
    10,289
    One of the prospects the Braves gave up is a big one. Satalamacchia a switch hitting catcher. He is a sure thing. But still a good trade for the braves

  12. #12
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    19,005
    Quote Originally Posted by 24
    One of the prospects the Braves gave up is a big one. Satalamacchia a switch hitting catcher. He is a sure thing. But still a good trade for the braves
    Elvis Andurs is said to be an absolute monster with the glove. His hitting is suspect, but i have heard is D is Ordonez-esque

    The pitching prospects they gave up are also top notch although Hairison or Hairston(not sure of the name exactly) is said to have possible shoulder problems.

  13. #13
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,459
    Another thing this trade does is end Andruws tenure with the braves after the season. They basically just chose Tex over Andruw because they can't afford both for a full season.

  14. #14
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    From Parts Unknown
    Posts
    10,289
    Quote Originally Posted by sjjetfan
    Another thing this trade does is end Andruws tenure with the braves after the season. They basically just chose Tex over Andruw because they can't afford both for a full season.
    Andruw has been a goner since mid last season, regardless of Tex.

  15. #15
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,459
    Quote Originally Posted by 24
    Andruw has been a goner since mid last season, regardless of Tex.
    With Boras probably

  16. #16
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    2,790
    Quote Originally Posted by sjjetfan
    No, I wasn't complaining about the revenge. They certainly got their revenge both times, but my point is there never should have been a reason for revenge if they got up for the first series and didn't get swept. It's like they go out of their way the second time to prove they are the better team when they should have just taken care of business in the first place.
    Yeah, I like that point and you're right. Oh god wait 'til the Mets are healthy!

  17. #17
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Covina, Ca
    Posts
    1,788
    I'm so glad the Angels didnt make the deal for this guy...texas was asking for 3 starters and a prospect! Kotchman, Kendrick, Santana/Saunders, and Mathis/Wood....f' that! You can have santana, mathis and kotchman....but no way we trade Wood and Kendrick.

  18. #18
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    19,005
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliJetsFan
    I'm so glad the Angels didnt make the deal for this guy...texas was asking for 3 starters and a prospect! Kotchman, Kendrick, Santana/Saunders, and Mathis/Wood....f' that! You can have santana, mathis and kotchman....but no way we trade Wood and Kendrick.
    Whats the deal with Wood. I have been hearing his name for years now, is he coming up anytime soon?

  19. #19
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleedgreen
    Yeah, I like that point and you're right. Oh god wait 'til the Mets are healthy!
    Problem is we'll ve lacking Beltran and Dike I think for the Braves series, and it seems the Phillies are picking up steam and the braves nor close behind, we can't afford to keep playing sub-par baseball


    Tex had some injury problems earlier in the year, which affected his power numbers, his presence in their lineup makes things interesting, not in a good way.

  20. #20
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Bronx, NY
    Posts
    6,012
    This could be a problem for the Mets. The Braves have a great lineup now.

    Maybe we can just get Ollie Perez to pitch every game against them???

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us