Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pats or Jets - which team has improved the most?

Banned

Pats or Jets - which team has improved the most?

Since meeting in the playoffs last season, both teams have, IMO, improved in significant ways. While the Patriots have brought in more quality FA's (Adalius Thomas, Donte Stallworth) and vets through trades (Welker, Moss), the jets have upgraded severely in their weakest area (run game) and have the added pop of the second year in a complicated system. They also drafted two impact players on D to the Patriots one. But the thing that really does stand out - and doesn't get much attention - is the jump that is likely to be made by a vast majority of the jets roster. More time to get the system "in their bones." It's not as sexy as drafting two solid, 1st round-level rookie defenders - it's more subtle, but IMO far more important.

Anyway, it's obviously way too early for anything definitive, but whose overall team performance is likely to be more actively upgraded from the goings-on of the past few months? I say...

...THE PATRIOTS, for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that the jets faced very little adversity last year, particularly in re: injuries. The Patriots not only brought in some impact playmakers, but will be getting back a LOT of now fully healthy contributors (Harrison, Randall Gay, Bruschi, Hobbs, Seymour). While injuries will, of course, crop up as the weeks pass, for now all are much healthier than they were back in January. Add that to the fact that the Patriots were 21 points better than gang green back then, and it seems to me likely that New England will win the division.

That said, a lot can happen as the days progress. Thoughts?
    Last edited by patsox232.0; 07-29-2007 at 05:15 PM.

All League
    Chowd troll opens thread about chowds. Mods, DUMP.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RussianGreen
    Chowd troll opens thread about chowds. Mods, DUMP.
    In what way is my post a "troll" post? It's perfectly fair, well-balanced and a legitimate discussion topic. Help me out, actual jet fans.

Veteran
    Oh what an interesting topic.

Lets see....

I'll say the Jets have improved more...

Let me guess....You think the Pats have??

Such an original topic.

Welcome aboard. We have needed a fresh outside view to bring in new interesting original topics!!

All Pro

Hall Of Fame
    Poor Johnny Conquer, so afraid of and owned by the Jets.

TMahoney
    Improved the most?

The JETS.

Not because we acquired more talent, because clearly you f*ckers in Foxboro took first in that race the second you signed Adalius Thomas.

But we got ourselves a runningback, a 3-4 DE and an inside LB that is a force against the run. Essentially, we beefed up our two biggest weaknesses, running the ball and stopping the run.

You moved from the third best team in the league to the first. We moved from middle of the pack to top 10.

As much as I hate to say it I think it is the Pat's. Although the Pat's D is old and slow they are still better then ave(top 16 but not top 10). This means they can score almost at will with all the weapons they have and the D is good enough to make plays when they need it. They are going to be the team to beat this year. (Disclaimer: If Brady gets hurt they go 3-13)

Banned
    Feel free to take a breath, ladies. Why not make an argument? I was hoping to have a legit conversation about the differences we see in our teams. I've just given PLENTY of fair-minded examples for why the JETS have improved.

Someone PLEASE get in here with rational thought and not just a bunch of kneejerk, frantic defensiveness. Good Christ.

Banned
    Thanks, TKasper, for actually GETTING what I'm trying to do here.

Banned
    TMahoney, not sure I agree with jets becoming top 10, but I do think it's arguable that the jets improved the MOST at a certain spot. Thank you, as well, for not being a breathless little lady like our Ray Ray and friends.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by patsox232.0
    Feel free to take a breath, ladies. Why not make an argument? I was hoping to have a legit conversation about the differences we see in our teams. I've just given PLENTY of fair-minded examples for why the JETS have improved.

Someone PLEASE get in here with rational thought and not just a bunch of kneejerk, frantic defensiveness. Good Christ.
    On Paper the Pats by Far..But the Skins aquired a bunch of HOF bound players and went 5-11..Some times when it seems to good to be true it isn't true at all...

Veteran
    the pats may have had the better offseason, but when its all said and done the Jets will be on top. My reason for saying this the average age of pats players early to mid 30's, if you ask me that is old for NFL standards and are on the downside of their careers. The jets average age per player early to mid 20's. They're hungry for playing time and on fire, and have lots of upside. By all means you're looking at a football team with a lot to prove

Banned
    And Ray, what PLANET do you live on? In what way, and for what reason, would I be afraid of the jets? Do I want to lose to them on opening day? Nope. I sure hope that doesn't happen. But I love the rivalry, especially since, for now anyway, the Patriots seem to have the upper hand. And I really think the Patriots are better and will likely win on Opening Day. what's to be afraid of exactly?

Try making an argument. Sounds to me like you're the one who's afraid. Why not try to convince me, or others, that your P.O.V. is the more correct one?

Veteran

So lets see you troll another thread.

then start another one and want to be taken seriously.

Oh I am so sorry.

Should have taken you seriously..

Pats have. But who cares?

I'll worry about the Jets..Happy?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by J.E.T.Sfan4life
    the average age of pats players early to mid 30's, if you ask me that is old for NFL standards and are on the downside of their careers.
    If you're describing our LB corps, I guess you have a point - but overall? You need to research. The most disturbing thing about the Patriots is that they're actually getting younger. Where did you get your stats?

Quote Originally Posted by TMahoney
    Improved the most?

The JETS.

Not because we acquired more talent, because clearly you f*ckers in Foxboro took first in that race the second you signed Adalius Thomas.

But we got ourselves a runningback, a 3-4 DE and an inside LB that is a force against the run. Essentially, we beefed up our two biggest weaknesses, running the ball and stopping the run.

You moved from the third best team in the league to the first. We moved from middle of the pack to top 10.
    I do not know if we are a top 10 team right now. I think we have the makings and we certainly can play our way in but right now I do not think an objective view would out us in the top 10.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69
    On Paper the Pats by Far..But the Skins aquired a bunch of HOF bound players and went 5-11..Some times when it seems to good to be true it isn't true at all...
    I'd agree with you if we'd brought in Daniel Snyder's F.O. to run the team or someone other than BB with his track record. They definitely have their misses, FA-wise, like Donald Hayes, Monty Beisel, Duane Starks and others, but actual "big name" acquisitions (Rodney, Colvin, Ted Washington, Corey Dillon etc...) have been lights out, for the most part.

That said, it is all only "on paper," and we'll have to see.

TMahoney
    TMahoney, not sure I agree with jets becoming top 10, but I do think it's arguable that the jets improved the MOST at a certain spot. Thank you, as well, for not being a breathless little lady like our Ray Ray and friends.
    We've got the 5th best team in AFC behind the Patriots, Colts, Chargers and Ravens.

And its because of this off-season.

I don't doubt the Patriots signed more talent than anyone else in the league this off-season, but they were already a lock for the AFC Championship game.

The Jets, however, improved their secondary, linebacking core, defensive line and runningback position. Albeit we didn't get any superstars, but thats not what we're building here. The Jets are still cementing that foundation.

Veteran
    If you're describing our LB corps, I guess you have a point - but overall? You need to research. The most disturbing thing about the Patriots is that they're actually getting younger. Where did you get your stats?
    I have to make the thread interesting. pats maybe getting younger but the Jets younger players are a year in a system which takes time to understand, so we're better