Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In wall speakers and surround sound systems

Hall Of Fame

In wall speakers and surround sound systems

pros cons?

thinking about installing soem in my house and like teh idea that i can hide them (makes wife happy) and when painting over teh grills they become virtually invisible, but how is the sound quality, sure it depends on which speaker you get to an extent but whta I am really looking for is overall quality of decent in wall speakers compared to decent regular speakers

also discuss teh benefits of going 7.1 over 5.1, is it worth it?

Undrafted Free Agent
    I don't recommed painting the covers. I was going to do the same, but when I saw the speakers (white) installed in the wall, it looked really clean and neat.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... i don't know if the sponsered links continuously change or not, but it's showing links for speakers to me on your thread ...

... no insight to actually add regarding your question, just found it amusing ...

... either way, sounds like you'll have a good time watching games ...

l_j_r

my friends dad owns a high end audio store in allendale, nj...crazy stuff...he hooked me up with triad in-walls, and they are twice as clear and loud as my friends bose surround, as well as my brothers klipsche...check out out the web site http://www.triadspeakers.com/...it doesnt hurt to run them off a high end reciever either, like rotel or denon

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules
    ... i don't know if the sponsered links continuously change or not, but it's showing links for speakers to me on your thread ...

... no insight to actually add regarding your question, just found it amusing ...

... either way, sounds like you'll have a good time watching games ...

l_j_r
    it looks through the post or maybe just the title, then it gives links that apply to the words on the page. so if people are talking about speakers, they try to sell you speakers ;p

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by CUJet
    it looks through the post or maybe just the title, then it gives links that apply to the words on the page. so if people are talking about speakers, they try to sell you speakers ;p
    hey CU, I'm a Sage fan too, was at RTB but misse dhim, did you catch him there?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinkanddunk
    my friends dad owns a high end audio store in allendale, nj...crazy stuff...he hooked me up with triad in-walls, and they are twice as clear and loud as my friends bose surround, as well as my brothers klipsche...check out out the web site http://www.triadspeakers.com/...it doesnt hurt to run them off a high end reciever either, like rotel or denon

no prices on that site but from teh looks they are out of my range anyway

I'm not lookingto go high end, I'd love to, dont get me wrong but I still want to be married after I buy these speakers so i wont be dropping a G on a surround sound speaker set

I was looking at these from Polk Audio, any comments??

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...TGUFA&v=glance

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...TGUFA&v=glance

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Bro Green
    pros cons?

thinking about installing soem in my house and like teh idea that i can hide them (makes wife happy) and when painting over teh grills they become virtually invisible, but how is the sound quality, sure it depends on which speaker you get to an extent but whta I am really looking for is overall quality of decent in wall speakers compared to decent regular speakers

also discuss teh benefits of going 7.1 over 5.1, is it worth it?
    All I can tell you is that they are psycho-crazy expensive.

Another alternative to ponder: My setup has all the fronts concealed in a cabinet and then (when the kids are older) I'll put some flat panels in-wall as my rears.

The logic is that since you need a stand of some sort to hold all the components anyway, why not stick the speakers in there too? Saves you money and does the 'hidden' thing for the wife. Also, the cost of the credenza and the speakers I purchased were less than the cost of the in-wall speakers and install.

In the photo, you can see the sub off to the left and the Bose 301's in the credenza. The center sits in the top drawer (with the cloth grill).

Here's how it looks with the doors closed. The 3 speakers behind mesh grills, the components behind glass, sub hidden in the corner.

SAR I
    Last edited by SAR I; 08-01-2007 at 09:31 AM.

Undrafted Free Agent
    I put 4 Yamaha 80 watt round speakers in my ceiling and they sound awesome. I bought them at best buy and were a great deal. I put each in a corner. I also bout a 12" MTX powered sub woffer which is sweet. I finished it off with a pioneer center speaker. All of this is powered by a Pioneer receiver 5.1. Entire package cost about $600. Hope this helps.

IMO In wall or ceiling speakers are great!!! I didn't paint the grills they look neat and clean as is.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle_Herm
    I put 4 Yamaha 80 watt round speakers in my ceiling and they sound awesome. I bought them at best buy and were a great deal. I put each in a corner. I also bout a 12" MTX powered sub woffer which is sweet. I finished it off with a pioneer center speaker. All of this is powered by a Pioneer receiver 5.1. Entire package cost about $600. Hope this helps.

IMO In wall or ceiling speakers are great!!! I didn't paint the grills they look neat and clean as is.
    sounds good thanks, I'm looking to spend in that range myself, maybe a bit more like 7-800 tops

Undrafted Free Agent
    Actually I think it was more in the 700-800 range

Hall Of Fame
    Actually I think it was more in the 700-800 range
    I figured that considering you had a sub and receiver

did you go 7.1 or 5.1?

I'm thinking about going 7.1 but dont know if its worth it or not

also is there a room behind where you have the speakers and if so does teh sound come through? i saw these foam pieces of insulation to put behind the speakers to resolve that issue. Two of the speakers will be behind my bedroom wall.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Bro Green
    I figured that considering you had a sub and receiver

did you go 7.1 or 5.1?

I'm thinking about going 7.1 but dont know if its worth it or not

also is there a room behind where you have the speakers and if so does teh sound come through? i saw these foam pieces of insulation to put behind the speakers to resolve that issue. Two of the speakers will be behind my bedroom wall.

I used in ceiling speakers so there is no room behind it but I did pack insulation aroound the speaker and there is little to no noise in the attic when the speakers are playing at a normal volume. I bought a 5.1 system because after researching both systems and based on the size of my room 20'X20' I saw no upside to the 7.1 system. It sounds better then a movie theater so I am happy with my choice.

Hall Of Fame
    I used in ceiling speakers so there is no room behind it but I did pack insulation aroound the speaker and there is little to no noise in the attic when the speakers are playing at a normal volume. I bought a 5.1 system because after researching both systems and based on the size of my room 20'X20' I saw no upside to the 7.1 system. It sounds better then a movie theater so I am happy with my choice.

I only have three speakers and a sub now, so going to a 5.1 should make a nice difference when i add teh rears, what are the benefits of going to 7.1 is it based on room size or what? i havent researched it much yet

Undrafted Free Agent
    I have a buddy who has 7.1 and it sounds no different then my 5.1. The main difference is he paid 200-300 more then i did.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I have a buddy who has 7.1 and it sounds no different then my 5.1. The main difference is he paid 200-300 more then i did.
    Mean Bro's old girl is used to the 5.1.. He brings 7.1 into the home and she could leave him.

Hall Of Fame
    Have you considered going wireless speakers with surround sound? You can adjust the speakers in the room for the best acoustical effect. Not all that expensive either.

wireless speakers wont get you anywhere near the quality you want...as far as 7.1 or 5.1...it depends on whether you want to upgrade in the future and the depth of your wallet...

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinkanddunk
    wireless speakers wont get you anywhere near the quality you want...as far as 7.1 or 5.1...it depends on whether you want to upgrade in the future and the depth of your wallet...
    They can't match wired systems but you have to be a HIFi nut to tell the difference. For movies, there is very little difference. For a symphony the difference is noticable.

Hall Of Fame
    I did some quick research and what i'm seeing is that 7.1 is marketing hype and that most movies if not all are coded in 5.1 so when you play it on a 7.1 system it has to make up sound for teh extra two speakers and that it is bogus

until they produce sound in 7.1 it is a waste and even then it may never happen, dont know how accurate that is but that's what i read