Thread: Kellen Clemens Looking Good - Tom Rock

Banned

Kellen Clemens Looking Good - Tom Rock

Thank you God. I've been praying for Kellen to show something, and it looks like he finally has. It's okay to exhale (a little bit at least).

Jets' Clemens might be Chad's heir
    BY TOM ROCK | tom.rock@newsday.com
    8:58 PM EDT, August 6, 2007

He took control of the huddle, directed the offense, and seemed to be riding the confidence of his teammates. But the Jets quarterback who looked so good in the Green-White scrimmage Sunday wasn't Chad Pennington. It was Kellen Clemens. After a rocky start to his preseason, the second-year player gave a glimpse of what could be waiting in the Jets' wings.

"Kellen looked very sharp," Jets coach Eric Mangini said. "That drive to start the second half [72 yards in nine plays to take a 17-10 lead] was very good. His command of the offense was very good. I was pleased."

Clemens completed 14 of his 18 passes for 205 yards and two touchdowns. His one interception came on a deep pass to Justin McCareins, who had the ball wrested from his hands by Andre Dyson. Unlike earlier this summer, when Clemens appeared jittery, indecisive and overwhelmed, his solid performance in the scrimmage may have reaffirmed his standing as the quarterback of the future. At the very least, the possibility of playing a few snaps or even a few games without Pennington is no longer a nightmare.

"Being in my second year in the system now, things are slowing down and I'm able to see things more," Clemens said

http://www.newsday.com/sports/footba...,4958007.story

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I
    Thank you God. I've been praying for Kellen to show something, and it looks like he finally has. It's okay to exhale (a little bit at least).

He took control of the huddle, directed the offense, and seemed to be riding the confidence of his teammates. But the Jets quarterback who looked so good in the Green-White scrimmage Sunday wasn't Chad Pennington. It was Kellen Clemens. After a rocky start to his preseason, the second-year player gave a glimpse of what could be waiting in the Jets' wings.

"Kellen looked very sharp," Jets coach Eric Mangini said. "That drive to start the second half [72 yards in nine plays to take a 17-10 lead] was very good. His command of the offense was very good. I was pleased."

Clemens completed 14 of his 18 passes for 205 yards and two touchdowns. His one interception came on a deep pass to Justin McCareins, who had the ball wrested from his hands by Andre Dyson. Unlike earlier this summer, when Clemens appeared jittery, indecisive and overwhelmed, his solid performance in the scrimmage may have reaffirmed his standing as the quarterback of the future. At the very least, the possibility of playing a few snaps or even a few games without Pennington is no longer a nightmare.

"Being in my second year in the system now, things are slowing down and I'm able to see things more," Clemens said

SAR I
    So does this mean you're over us drafting a underweight lineman instead of Matt?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Never doubted it and I've been saying it since he was drafted.

Clemens is the future of the Jets Franchise.

Hall Of Fame
    This is good news for the Jets. It says we didn't waste a draft pick. This kid has a very good character besides having a huge upside football wise.

Banned
    We need Clemens to succeed.

Hall Of Fame
    IKWT!

Veteran

SAR I
    ALERT TO MODS!!!
    An article with a positive view of KC was posted using SAR's account.
    This account was surely hacked into...

GG

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by ITWT
    IKWT!
    Good forward thinking.

Hall Of Fame
    Good article.

The media's and JI member's criticism of the kid over practice and OTA reports were just ridiculous. He's a 2nd year player who saw no meaningful action his first year.

Plus, maybe he simply isn't a practice player. If we all remember, Chad stunk in training camp practice in 2000 and 2001. Chad showed his potential in the 2002 preseason games where he thoroughly outplayed Vinny, but Herm was set with Vinny and never gave Chad the opportunity to start until Vinny got hurt and the season was going down the drain.

All League
    If he goes out and throws a pick and no TDs on Friday, it's back to panicking.

Quote Originally Posted by SMC
    Plus, maybe he simply isn't a practice player. If we all remember, Chad stunk in training camp practice in 2000 and 2001. Chad showed his potential in the 2002 preseason games where he thoroughly outplayed Vinny, but Herm was set with Vinny and never gave Chad the opportunity to start until Vinny got hurt and the season was going down the drain.
    This has been my though all offseason so far. The reports on him sound exactly like those on Chad when Vinny was the starter. Nothing to worry about right now.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by fullblast
    If he goes out and throws a pick and no TDs on Friday, it's back to panicking.
    For the masses, this is sad but true.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC
    Good article.

The media's and JI member's criticism of the kid over practice and OTA reports were just ridiculous. He's a 2nd year player who saw no meaningful action his first year.

Agreed. Plus by 2002, Chad had three years in the system. This is Clemens first full off season learning the system. He will be fine.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenGeek
    ALERT TO MODS!!!
    An article with a positive view of KC was posted using SAR's account.
    This account was surely hacked into...

GG
    Until the day that Kellen Clemens unseats Chad Pennington as the starting QB of the NYJ, the entire organization and fanbase is walking on glass. Therefore any tidbit of positivity on his progress is a reason to celebrate.

SAR I

All League
    I've got a funny feeling in my gut about this kid. Nothing tangible. Just based on watching QB's over the years, from what little I've seen of him I think he's really got a chance to be special.

JetsFan2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ITWT
    IKWT!

iQuit!

Veteran
    Until the day that Kellen Clemens unseats Chad Pennington as the starting QB of the NYJ, the entire organization and fanbase is walking on glass. Therefore any tidbit of positivity on his progress is a reason to celebrate.

SAR I
    SAR...I could not be happier with the way the organization has handled Clemens. Chad is our starter and will be for the foreseeable future. Bring Clemens along slowly, get him some meaningful reps over time, and allow him to learn from Chad is the best way to insure Clemens long term success. The kid has all the tools, with time we should see a smooth transition from Chad to Clemens. Rather that, than a season ending injury to Chad that forces Clemens into the lineup. I want this kid to earn his position as a starter versus getting in due to injury.

JetsFan2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TexJet
    SAR...I could not be happier with the way the organization has handled Clemens. Chad is our starter and will be for the foreseeable future. Bring Clemens along slowly, get him some meaningful reps over time, and allow him to learn from Chad is the best way to insure Clemens long term success. The kid has all the tools, with time we should see a smooth transition from Chad to Clemens. Rather that, than a season ending injury to Chad that forces Clemens into the lineup. I want this kid to earn his position as a starter versus getting in due to injury.

Good point, it's not the worst thing in the world for the kid to ride the bench for 2-3 seasons while learning from a very smart QB.

This is good news, though. I am looking forward to seeing how he plays on Friday against Atlanta.

All League
    Keeping in mind too, that by all accounts this team loves Chad and he's their leader. Mangini has to be careful about how he handles the transition. As long as Chad's healthy and playing well, his hands are pretty much tied. A full blown QB controversery would be a disaster, especially at this stage.

All League
    My main goal of going to this game is to watch Kellen play some ball.