Thread: Peter King's MMQB - Jets Notes

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Peter King's MMQB - Jets Notes

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...mqb/index.html

Factoid of the Week That May Interest Only Me:

At the start of Jets practice at their Long Island complex, Mozart concertos play from six speakers around the practice fields.

"There's a lot of debate about whether classical music, and Mozart in particular, stimulates brain waves and learning,'' Mangini told me the other day. "So I figured, 'Why not? Let's do it.'''

Sure sounds strange while standing out there, that's all I can say.

"Not a lot of the guys are very big fans of it,'' safety Kerry Rhodes said.

Mangini Factoid of the Week That May Interest A Lot of Portly Americans:
    So, the question goes to Manginius: How'd you drop all that weight?

When you see him on TV in September, you'll see he's down about 35 pounds from last January.

The key, he said, was getting a TV screen that showed digital practice and game video that he could analyze and critique while attached to a treadmill in the Jets' training complex. "I've got one of those handheld digital voice recorders, and I just get on the treadmill and make notes into the recorder while I work out,'' he said. That, of course, plus eating smarter. That's the only way in a fairly sedentary job you really can lose weight -- a decent diet and working out four or five times a week.

I said to him: "The real challenge is going to be some Monday game-planning night this fall, when it's 11 o'clock and you're starving and you say: 'Gimme that bag of M&Ms.'" I could tell him that from experience.

"We'll see if I go for the celery sticks then,'' he said.

Stat of the Week II

So, you want to know why these rookie contracts take so long to get done? Byzantine guarantees, option clauses and buyback clauses turn the contracts from 10- or 12-page short stories to 50-page novellas. Cases in point: The Jets' contract with cornerback Darrelle Revis is 47 pages. Atlanta's contract with defensive end Jamaal Anderson is 53. And Tampa Bay's deal with Gaines Adams: a measly 32 pages.

Ten Things I Think I Think

1. I think the latest example of the idiocy of the preseason came Saturday night in St. Louis, when two of the three or four best backs in football, LaDainian Tomlinson and Steven Jackson, played a total of one play in the Rams' preseason game against San Diego. "He's definitely a guy I wouldn't put in in the preseason,'' Tomlinson said of Jackson.

What a boondoggle. Owners should be ashamed. The league should be ashamed. I'm not advocating Jackson and Tomlinson play -- not at all. Teams should do what they think is in their best interest to get ready for the season. Curtis Martin used to tell Herman Edwards he needed 20 or 25 summer carries to get ready for the real games, and that's what Edwards did with the Jets each August. Tomlinson obviously needs none, and the Rams think Jackson needs very few. Fine. But don't fleece the fans.

7. I think these are my quick-hit thoughts of the preseason weekend:

k. What a step back for the Jets. Whenever I mention that Kellen Clemens deserves playing time, Jets fans say I'm nuts. Hey, it's not a knock on Chad Pennington. But this team has two good quarterbacks. Both of them should play some.

10. I think these are my non-football thoughts of the week:

g. Sports Illustrated NFL editor Mark Mravic on the scene at what I heard was a great sports event, the MLS game (with David Beckham) between the New York and L.A. teams on Saturday night at the Meadowlands, witnessed by 67,000 and won by the Red Bulls, 5-4:

"Well, the tailgate scene was kind of surreal. Just like a Jets or Giants game at the Meadowlands, with all the grills and tables and tents and even a few motorhomes, except that instead of people chucking footballs around the parking lot, there were about 10,000 pickup soccer games going. And at least half of the fans playing in those games were little urchins in Beckham jerseys. Inside, every time Beckham set up for a corner kick or a free kick, the crowd would rise in anticipation -- and then a chorus of boos would cascade down. The Red Bulls fans may have been outnumbered, but they were louder by far. Beckham's pure class, though. After the game he walked around the edge of the field applauding all the fans that showed up.

"I've been to bigger soccer games -- U.S.-Mexico at the World Cup in Korea; U.S.-Italy last summer in Germany -- but I've never had more fun at one.''

Soccer is really a fun game when done right. I hope that game helps the cause.

Practice Squad
    What a boondoggle. Owners should be ashamed. The league should be ashamed. I'm not advocating Jackson and Tomlinson play -- not at all. Teams should do what they think is in their best interest to get ready for the season. Curtis Martin used to tell Herman Edwards he needed 20 or 25 summer carries to get ready for the real games, and that's what Edwards did with the Jets each August. Tomlinson obviously needs none, and the Rams think Jackson needs very few. Fine. But don't fleece the fans.

I'm not a big Peter King fan but I have to give him major kudos for his rants against paying full price for exhibition games. They are a complete farce and the idea that we have to pay full boat for these "games" is ridiculous.

Hall Of Fame
    The NFL should have learned by now that the preseason needs to be cut down to 2 games to evaluate the players on the bubble. Risking an injury to one of your starters is not worth it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsPrisoner12

I'm not a big Peter King fan but I have to give him major kudos for his rants against paying full price for exhibition games. They are a complete farce and the idea that we have to pay full boat for these "games" is ridiculous.
    I agree. He's saying what a lot of fans have been saying for years. To pay full price to watch fringe players play is a huge ripoff.

One thing they did right was keeping the rosters expanded longer, I always wondered why they had cut downs before the fourth preseason game.
    Lets face it the starters should be as far away from the field as possible for that fourth game. Let the young kids play the whole 4th game they can get the film they need to try to catch on somewhere and move on.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by NFL NYJETS
    The NFL should have learned by now that the preseason needs to be cut down to 2 games to evaluate the players on the bubble. Risking an injury to one of your starters is not worth it.
    CFL used to be 16 game reg season sched and 4 ex games. Switched to 18 reg season and two ex games (thus you only pay for one home ex game) and it has worked out really well. No real drop in revenue by removing games and adds an extra home reg season game.