Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: HBO vs. Showtime

Veteran

OT: HBO vs. Showtime

Was just curious what everyone else thinks in regards to original programming.

2-3 years ago, this was no argument. Entourage was in it's best season ever, HBO had a little known gem in Unscripted, not to mention The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, Carnivale. Showtime had very few original shows...the only one coming to mind is Huff, which was good...but never HBO calibur.

Now, IMO, the tides have turned. I think that Showtime has the best programming on TV with the trio of Weeds, Dexter, and Californication. I look forward to these shows more than any other on TV, aside from Entourage which is still my favorite show.

HBO has a trio of Entourage, Big Love, and Flight of the Conchords...which are all brilliant...but if I had to choose which shows I got to watch--I'd probably have to give up HBO's programming for Showtime's.

What do you guys think?

Undrafted Free Agent
    HBO easily!!!
    I have both and although I enjoy showtiemes programming I have to give it to HBO easily.
    On showtime I enjoyed Dexter, Brotherhood first seasons of weeds that opening episode of season 3 OF WEEDS was unwatchable! Californication was pretty good. I enjoy Penn and Taylor once in awhile. I thought the tudors was poor.

On HBO you have a new seasons of Curb plus I would argue one of the best shows I have ever seen the Wire coming up. Big Love this season has also been fantastic. Flight of the conchords is amusing but I would not rank it near the other shows I mentioned. I loved entourage but I think this current season has fallen off and has turned stale and lame, Anybody else think that?
    Next Boxing, Real Sports, Realtime, Inside the NFL, Hard Knocks costas, plus great documentaries and once in awhile a decent movie to watch Show lacks on great movies.
    Now that I think about it, it is not even close HBO blows away Showtime!!!
    Last edited by glennobr; 08-21-2007 at 03:19 PM.

Veteran
    I believe that Showtime is better now. However, you left off the The Wire on HBO which I believe is the best show on all of tv. Plus Curb Your Enthusiasm is coming back and that show is brilliant.

On Showtime, I love the L Word. I never got into Weeds, but Dexter is fun, and Brotherhood is great.

If I had to choose one though, I'd stick to HBO just for one last season of the Wire.

Banned
    I don't have SHOWTIME but Dexter is one of the best shows on TV.

Practice Squad
    Showtime - "Brotherhood" ~ Season 2 starts on Sept. 30.

Best show on tv...

Veteran
    Didn't realize that The Wire was coming back...but whoever said Weeds was unwatchable this year is crazy. It's easily in it's prime...every single episode is extremely suspenseful...last night was genius.

I guess when it boils down to it...

If I had to choose Weeds or Entourage I'd choose Entourage.
    If I had to choose Dexter or Big Love I'd choose Dexter.
    If I had to choose Californiacation or FOC I'd choose Californication.
    If I had to choose Brotherhood or The Wire I'd choose Brotherhood.

3-1 Showtime for me.

You forgot to mention Big Brother Live Cam on Showtime. What Up Kaysar~~

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by JetHeel23
    Didn't realize that The Wire was coming back...but whoever said Weeds was unwatchable this year is crazy. It's easily in it's prime...every single episode is extremely suspenseful...last night was genius.

I guess when it boils down to it...

If I had to choose Weeds or Entourage I'd choose Entourage.
    If I had to choose Dexter or Big Love I'd choose Dexter.
    If I had to choose Californiacation or FOC I'd choose Californication.
    If I had to choose Brotherhood or The Wire I'd choose Brotherhood.

3-1 Showtime for me.
    The Wire trumps all.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RutgersJetFan
    The Wire trumps all.
    I disagree...but alot of people feel that way. I think Dexter is probably the best show on TV, and Californication has all the makings of a classic.

Entourage is still my favorite show cause I'm a loyal guy, but the afforementioned and Weeds are 2-4 in no particular order.

Six Feet Under was great.

Dexter was good, too.

Curb was and still is the best comedy ever. Flight of the Conchords is awesome. Entourage sucks now. The Wire is the best TV show in the history of TV... HBO has got it going on.

Most importantly, HBO has some great fights for free on Boxing After Dark. Although Showtime has some good fights too...

Banned
    HBO: Entourage, Six Feet Under, Oz, Cat House, Real Time, Big Love, Flight of the Conchords

SHOWTIME: Dexter, Weeds

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonio_JetFan
    Six Feet Under was great.

Dexter was good, too.
    Season 2 of Dexter premieres on September 30th.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I have the Premier package that gets everything..If someone smokes or drinks giving that up for 1 day a week will buy you the programing if you can't afford it..I mean its 12 bucks a month..Isn't a carton of smokes 35 to 40 bucks?? Or a case of beer 16 or so??

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69
    I have the Premier package that gets everything..If someone smokes or drinks giving that up for 1 day a week will buy you the programing if you can't afford it..I mean its 12 bucks a month..Isn't a carton of smokes 35 to 40 bucks?? Or a case of beer 16 or so??
    Exactly. I can't bring myself to sacrifice beer for TV.

Banned
    Exactly. I can't bring myself to sacrifice beer for TV.
    But they are good together.

Board Moderator
    Charter JI Member

Showtime has closed the gap over the last year or two, but I still have to go with HBO, and it's not that close.

I loved season 2 of Weeds, but I'm afraid it may have jumped the shark in ep's 301 & 302... they seem to have lost the fine balance they had between realism and suspended belief... not beyond repair, hopefully, but we'll see. Season 1 of Dexter was great. Great. Hope that season 2 can be as strong. I've read the books, and the first book was much stronger than the second. they followed the first book almost verbatim in the series, if they do that this season, it will be a disappointment to the many fans. Can't comment on Brotherhood, my TV slate was full and I never got to see it. Haven't seen Californication yet either, not a big Duchovney fan, so take my Showtime review for what it's worth. And, oh yeah, coming from a longtime Penn & Teller fan, the show was a huge disappointment. Barely watchable.

Now HBO... Big Love is outstanding these last few weeks - used to just watch because my wife was watching, missed as many as I saw in season 1, buyt season 2 is riveting. I find myself really looking forward to it... Flight of the Conchords is probably the best comedy on TV... It's fresh, just hits a spot that hasn't been hit, kind of like the early seasons of Seinfeld (before everyone started bludgeoning the Seinfeld spot, and not as well). Entourage has picked up again, and is one of the best shows again after an uneven start... Curb will dethrone Conchords as best comedy on TV when it is back... The Wire is just the perfect storm, the reason why the Cable shows are so good - great ensemble acting, great writing, shot really well, etc., etc., etc. Biggest knock on HBO is that John From Cincinnatti was so unbelievably week, and, though they cancelled it rather quickly, they should have seen it before it got out in the wild.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan
    But they are good together.
    Certain aspects of television I can sacrifice as long as I have money for beer. Same can't be said of the other way around.

Board Moderator
    Charter JI Member

Certain aspects of television I can sacrifice as long as I have money for beer. Same can't be said of the other way around.
    just sell off some of those Bubba's, Bubba!

Hall Of Fame
    Stargate started off on Showtime - can't remember if HBO had anything that big on at the time.