Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jets prepared to celebrate storied Titans past (merged)

Jets prepared to celebrate storied Titans past

Jets prepared to celebrate storied Titans past
    New York Jets

The New York Jets will celebrate their storied history with a special “Titans Throwback Day” presented by Jets TicketExchange by Ticketmaster on Sunday, Oct. 14 when the Jets take on the Philadelphia Eagles.

Jets players and coaches will sport the original navy and gold uniforms and a halftime ceremony will honor four members of the original team – Don Maynard, Billy Mathis, Larry Grantham, and Curley Johnson. Not only were each of these players members of the original Titans team, they were also members of the original Jets team and helped bring the Jets to Super Bowl victory in 1969.

The celebration of Titans Throwback Day will begin well before the game and will continue after the game has ended. A limited number of lucky Jets fans will have the opportunity to receive a personally autographed Titans helmet at the stadium before the game and the Jets will also auction off game worn jerseys after the game has ended. All proceeds from the autograph session and the auctions will benefit the New York Jets Foundation.

For more information about “Titans Throwback Day” be sure to visit www.newyorkjets.com. Titans merchandise and a Jets History DVD are now available at the Jets Shop online and at the Jets Shop Tent at Training Camp.

The Titans make a successful debut at the Polo Grounds, beating Buffalo in the rain, on September 11, 1960. On March 28, 1963 the Titans were purchased by a group of five owners. A few weeks later, on April 15, 1963 the new owners changed the name of the team from the New York Titans to the New York Jets.

All Pro
    I'm still looking for the Jets/Titans throwback jerseys that were on sale on NFLShop.com for a few days and then pulled for some reason.

All League
    I guess thats pretty cool

All Pro
    Well what do you know...I just found this:

http://www.jetsshop.com/jets/home.php

All Pro
    Awesome idea.

Charter JI Member

ordered!

I'm suprised it's the game vs the eagles and not the Thanksgiving Day Game.

All League
    Wow am I happy that Hess got the team and changed the colors to Green & White. The Blue & Gold isn't bad but the current color scheme is soooooo much better.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozy72
    Thanksgiving games are not the place for this. They have their own half-time things.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by AG
    Wow am I happy that Hess got the team and changed the colors to Green & White. The Blue & Gold isn't bad but the current color scheme is soooooo much better.

Sonny Werblin changed the colors. Sonny was born on ST Patricks Day and that's why the Jets are kelly green and white. By the time the team was sold to Hess they were green for years.

i hate to be the turd in the punch bowl but

does anyone else wonder where this storied titans history is being hidden?

the titans never had a winning season, went a combined 19-23 in their history. in each of their three years between 1960 and 1962 they were dead last in the AFL in defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Fozy72

now there won't be two teams on the field in green & white. In a way, it makes sense to do it that day.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nyahay bus
    now there won't be two teams on the field in green & white. In a way, it makes sense to do it that day.
    Anybody remember watching the Jets in their previous uniforms playing the Eagles in their previous uniforms years ago? It was like watching a scrimmage of the home jersey vs. the away jersey of the exact same team, that **** was crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by JETS_for_life
    Anybody remember watching the Jets in their previous uniforms playing the Eagles in their previous uniforms years ago? It was like watching a scrimmage of the home jersey vs. the away jersey of the exact same team, that **** was crazy!
    yeah, i think the jets were wearing the green pants for that one

Undrafted Free Agent
    anyone have a link of a photo of the uniform they are going to wear that day..i know its blue/gold but i'd like to see if it looks exactly like the original Titan's uniforms or if they did alittle modernizing.

Hall Of Fame
    they had a ton of Titans stuff at TC

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin

ordered!
    I like that color combination too!!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin

ordered!
    That is the best hat they have.

All League
    Thank goodness for Sonny Werblin!!!

He brought Namath to the Jets (Namath was also drafted by the St. Louis Cardinals of the NFL)...coined the name "Braodway Joe"....and gave the Jets their "colors" being Green & White (instead of "Giants" blue and a name that sounded like "Giants")

Hall Of Fame
    See you guys all there in blue and gold!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetman73
    Thank goodness for Sonny Werblin!!!

He brought Namath to the Jets (Namath was also drafted by the St. Louis Cardinals of the NFL)...coined the name "Braodway Joe"....and gave the Jets their "colors" being Green & White (instead of "Giants" blue and a name that sounded like "Giants")
    i've been furiously reading Namath's bio and auto bio as of late so just to add to that message

Namath was drafted by ST Louis but they already had a QB, the truth was that the Giants were using the Cards as a proxy. It was Mara who wanted Namath, Werblin beat Mara to Namath! Namath wouldn't have fit in with the old school NFL and he knew it.

The nickname broadway joe was given to Namath not by Werblin but by a fellow teammate. I believe it was the offensive tackle who wasn't Winston Hill - name escapes me, have to go look it up.

Werblin is actually a very interesting character - was the brains behind MCA entertainment, an organization that literally had all the stars under one roof. also did sign AFL to the biggest TV contract ever to that point, was a huge deal and legitimized the league. I could be wrong but i think Werblin is in the HOF for his accomplishments.