Jimmy Watson: Quincy Carter may have played last game here
Don't expect to see quarterback Quincy Carter back in the Bossier-Shreveport Battle Wings' lineup next season.

Like the rest of his teammates, Carter wants to move on up to at least the AFL after toiling one season in the af2. And Carter has the turf creds and the big time name to make him a logical choice for the higher paying league.

"Quincy has played well enough to have some good options out there for him," Battle Wings coach Jon Norris said. "The way he finished the season ... he was focused and led this team, while doing a good job preparing for each game."

When Carter signed with the local af2 team in February, the move was at first met with skepticism. Few people expected he'd ever play a down in a Battle Wings uniform. Some folks even placed tongue-in-cheek bets about how long he'd last with the team.

Those doubts were realized five games into the season when Carter was suspended by Norris for allegedly missing a meeting. Carter's two-week suspension was extended to four weeks and most pundits figured he was gone.

But Carter endured and returned to lead the team to it's best record and first playoff game in franchise history. When the Wings went on the road, he was the guy who attracted attention.

After all, he was a former NFL quarterback with the vaunted Dallas Cowboys and everyone wanted a piece of him. The suspension kept him from accumulating league-leading stats, but Carter had the most yardage per completion average in the 30-team af2.

Win or lose, fans sought Carter's autograph at every stop. And he was accommodating. Even after throwing two late interceptions, one questionable, in last Saturday's 67-47 National Conference final loss at Tulsa, Carter came out of the locker room to sign a ball for a youngster.

"My mom raised me to be a humble kid and I thank God that I'm on a platform where people want to shake my hand," Carter said. "I love this game and I still appreciate fans wanting my autograph. It's my way to give back to the game and I relish it."

Carter was in a jovial mood at the Battle Wings office on Monday afternoon, joking with his teammates, who were undergoing exit interviews. He's in regular contact with his agent, Alice Meikle, about his prospects of signing an AFL, CFL or NFL contract.

"I'm working out and waiting to see what unfolds," Carter said.

Carter is disappointed that he couldn't direct his team to Saturday's ArenaCup, and a chance to shine one more time in front of his local fans.

"I'm a winner and there's no consolation prize," he said. "It was a good situation to play in this organization. The leadership that coach Norris provided was outstanding and I was excited to get my career re-started."

Carter's name alone will at least get him a tryout with an AFL club. Then it will be up to him to make the most of the opportunity. Still he isn't ruling out a return to the Wings next season.

"I wouldn't have a problem at all doing that, but from what I'm hearing, I doubt it," he said.

And his coach isn't counting on his return.

"I think enough people have asked about Quincy that he'll be brought in and evaluated," Norris said.

That means that the Battle Wings could be in the market for another top flight quarterback when they can begin securing player contracts in October.

Anyone have Michael Vick's telephone number?