Thread: How do you protect "Big Jake" ?

All League

How do you protect "Big Jake" ?

As frightening as it seems , Jacob Bender will be our starting Left Guard on opening day. I think the consensus is that he will give you superior run blocking and will have major problems in pass protection. The first three opponents, the Patriots, Ravens and Dolphins could be a nightmare. The question is how do you protect Bender and Chad from getting killed ?? Hoping the Eagle game will give a clue, the alternatives that come to mind are:

1. Slide the protection to the left. This means that Baker will have a diminished role in the passing game, again.
    2. Plant your FB Barnes on the left side and make him Chads personnel body guard.
    3.Double TE, Sean Ryan might get to see some work.
    4. The Best alternative is running the ball effectively on the Left side.

I can't see any other alternatives, any thoughts ?
    The next question is, does Bender starting keep the Jets out of 3, 4, and 5 WR sets ?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JetOrange
    As frightening as it seems , Jacob Bender will be our starting Left Guard on opening day. I think the consensus is that he will give you superior run blocking and will have major problems in pass protection. The first three opponents, the Patriots, Ravens and Dolphins could be a nightmare. The question is how do you protect Bender and Chad from getting killed ?? Hoping the Eagle game will give a clue, the alternatives that come to mind are:

1. Slide the protection to the left. This means that Baker will have a diminished role in the passing game, again.
    2. Plant your FB Barnes on the left side and make him Chads personnel body guard.
    3.Double TE, Sean Ryan might get to see some work.
    4. The Best alternative is running the ball effectively on the Left side.

I can't see any other alternatives, any thoughts ?
    The next question is, does Bender starting keep the Jets out of 3, 4, and 5 WR sets ?
    I think the 2 TE and FB theories are the best. There is also the point that it was Bender's first game at Guard and he even settled down a bit by the end of the game (albeit against lesser competition). Is it really beyond the realm of possibility that 2 more weeks of practice could make him a bit more servicable. I am willing to trust the coaches and see what he does tonight, again against lesser competition. Maybe he was just nervous in his first game.

All League
    Sign Keydrick Vincent or facsimilie thereof

All League
    "Trust" this is a bold move, if this works out, these are great coaches. It also confirms the how the Jets value OG's. Buffalo spent a gazllion on Dockery, the Jets wouldn't give Pete another nickel. The Jets have to believe that OG's are replaceable and a dime a dozen. It's a central theme on how they manage their cap.

All League
    The only proof of his run blocking ability in the NFL is based on his size & weight. Lots of big dudes in college don't make it in the NFL.

I agree with you that they will likely try to give him help, but the right side of the line was the weakest point of the OL last year. Did the offseason do something to fix that, besides the old 'another year in the system = much improved'?

Pennington better have eyes in the back of his head and rollerblades on his feet. He'll need to be as mobile as possible to stay healthy this season.

Rookie
    I heard rumors that Adrian Jones will be starting Tonite and plans on starting opening day anybody hear this?

Hall Of Fame
    i do not believe Jake the Snake will be our starting LG to start this year

cab you say "lost"

Hall Of Fame
    Options 1, 2, and 3 would be the best strategy IMO. Option 4 probably wouldn't work because the front sevens we are facing in the first 3 weeks are stout.

I believe Bender can be the solution, I just don't believe he's going to be good for much of anything initially - even run blocking. That's why I'm truly hoping they will add another Guard before the season begins........

All Pro
    Jake will start tonight and they are going to see how he does in his 2nd start at G. He gave up a sack and a couple of pressures but he did settle down as the night went on and by all accounts, he is playing well in practice Don't give up on this youngster just yet.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    the best way to cover up Bender's weaknesses are to play to his strengths - the guy is a fantastic run blocker - and there's no better way to win any game than to run the ball effectively. If the Jets can establish the run, it will limit the defense's pass rush as they won't be able to pin their ears back and go unless in obviously passing situations i.e. 3rd and long. in that case you can keep a back in or whatever but hopefully it doesn't come to that - if the Jets are passing all the time and can't run they have bigger problems than Jacob Bender.

Veteran
    I say the best way to protect him is for all of us to throw our prayers up in the sky.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Only one way to protect Jake....
    Last edited by FF2; 02-25-2008 at 01:24 PM.