Thread: The Gamesmanship Continue.....Tim Dwight Visits Patriots.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The Gamesmanship Continue.....Tim Dwight Visits Patriots.

From ProFootballTalk, citing Adam Schefter from the NFL Network:

PATS VISIT WITH DWIGHT

Earlier this week, the Jets brought in former Pats receiver Reche Caldwell for a visit. The move was viewed as curious, since the Jets and Patriots square off on Sunday.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the Patriots have returned the favor, bringing in former Jets receiver Tim Dwight for a visit.

And the notion of the Pats being genuinely interested in Dwight is genuinely implausible. The Patriots are loaded at the receiver position. And Wes Welker will handle punt returns and (with Ellis Hobbs) kick returns.

So the visit with Dwight most likely was nothing more than a chance to pick his brain about the Jets' playbook. As we mentioned when addressing the issue regarding the Jets and Caldwell, Dwight doesn't know anything about the game plan for this week; thus, there's only so much that he can tell the Pats.

UPDATE: A reader raises an interesting point. Did the Pats bring in Dwight in order to simply find out the Jets' audible calls? If so, the timing was perfect. It now puts the Jets in the position of having to decide whether to change the audibles, and then to implement the changes, only a day before kickoff.

Hall Of Fame
    i hate the pats

Veteran
    That is interesting, It would be great to know how the conversations went.

Hall Of Fame
    hey mangini, here's what you get for cutting me

Practice Squad
    Relax...

We all know Moga, on Mangini's orders, sent Dwight to Foxboro ala Luca Brasi's visit to Sollozzo.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by scott dierking II
    UPDATE: A reader raises an interesting point. Did the Pats bring in Dwight in order to simply find out the Jets' audible calls? If so, the timing was perfect. It now puts the Jets in the position of having to decide whether to change the audibles, and then to implement the changes, only a day before kickoff.
    And since this is now public, the Patriettes won't know if the audible calls are real, altered or decoys.

Hall Of Fame
    Not a suprise, I was wondering what took them so long.

I'd hope Mangini was smart enough to know this was inevitable and to change the audible calls and things like that the day after the Cuts were made.

All League
    You have to wonder if the Jets/Pats slipped Caldwell or Dwight a few bucks for whatever info they're seeking. Otherwise what would be their incentive to travel for a visit when they know there is virtually no chance they'll be signed?

"Hi Reche/Tim what can you tell me about your former team's plays/calls"?

"Ok, thanks for the info now get the F out".

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriotReign
    You have to wonder if the Jets/Pats slipped Caldwell or Dwight a few bucks for whatever info they're seeking. Otherwise what would be their incentive to travel for a visit when they know there is virtually no chance they'll be signed?

"Hi Reche/Tim what can you tell me about your former team's plays/calls"?

"Ok, thanks for the info now get the F out".
    It IS odd since Dwight didn't entertain the idea of re-signing with the Patriettes in 2006 because he didn't want to be the 4th or 5th WR. And they have a PR now. So.....

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy
    It IS odd since Dwight didn't entertain the idea of re-signing with the Patriettes in 2006 because he didn't want to be the 4th or 5th WR. And they have a PR now. So.....

I doubt Mangini is quaking because they tried to debrief Dwight. These two teams just don't play each other this season- how come they're not bringing in players that were cut from the Chargers, Colts, Bills, etc for secret squirrel interrogations?

Its getting to be a dog and pony show.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m
    Not a suprise, I was wondering what took them so long.

I'd hope Mangini was smart enough to know this was inevitable and to change the audible calls and things like that the day after the Cuts were made.
    So wait, other teams cut players and *don't* change the audible calls?

I don't think it takes a Mangenius to change calls after a player is released, whether or not he's publicly interviewed by the other team.

Next there's going to be a press release: "Bellicheck is rumored to be looking at game film from previous Jets games, in an attempt to gain an edge!"