Thread: I give up! Can someone please answer my stupid question?

Undrafted Free Agent

I give up! Can someone please answer my stupid question?

I understand the Patriots will either forfeit next years 1st round draft pick, or the 2nd and 3rd. I get it!

But, the Jets were the victims here.

My question is, "Do the Jets get the draft pick or draft picks that the Patriots will forfeit?"

I realize this must be a very stupid question, but it seems like noone has made this clear to me, either in any written article or verbally on the radio or on TV.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by marvinpowell
    I understand the Patriots will either forfeit next years 1st round draft pick, or the 2nd and 3rd. I get it!

My question is, "Do the Jets get the draft pick or draft picks that the Patriots will forfeit?"

I realize this must be a very stupid question, but it seems like noone has made this clear to me, either in any written article or verbally on the radio or on TV.
    The Jets get nothing.

No

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

They gave the Jets the win.. We are 1-0 baby!!

Undrafted Free Agent
    Thank you for clearing this up for me, but I am very disappointed.

The Jets were the victims here, and they get nothing.

That figures!

All Pro

That figures!
    I know what you mean.

Veteran
    The victims ... the Jets and the ticket holders of game 1 got screwed.

No reparations.!

That figures!
    They did get a seemingly endless supply of messageboard fodder. That's got to count for something.

Veteran

That figures!
    It stole the spotlight of the fans cheering Chad's injury, good enough for some classless Jets fans?

All Pro
    You guys are forgetting that the comish said that the footage had no barring on this game because it was going to be used for the future.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetlag
    You guys are forgetting that the comish said that the footage had no barring on this game because it was going to be used for the future.
    I understand that, but...

If you fire a bullett at someone's head and miss completely, "Was there no crime committed against that person?'

If you attempt to defraud a little old 90 year grandmother out of her home and life savings, "Did you not committ a crime against that person if that attempt fails?"'

If you punch someone in the head, attempting to injure that person, but that person escapes complete injury, "Is no crime committed against that person?"

In my world, a crime was committed against the NFL and against the NY Jets.

Let us not forget that "intent to injure" accounts for something!
    Last edited by marvinpowell; 09-16-2007 at 09:51 AM.

All Pro
    The league can prove the Patsterisks * broke the rules.

They can't prove that it changed the playcalling one single bit.

Using the gun analogy from above - the Patsterisks * were found in possession of a handgun. But you can't charge them with attempted murder just on that basis alone.

Hall Of Fame
    Wow.

I should really start paying attention. I didn't realize the Jets are not receiving the draft picks.

WTF?

Banned
    The Jets get nothing. Just a Pat on the back.

We may have been the ones to oust the Pats and Belicheat, but it is apparent that this has been going on for a long time and to many other teams.

It would be unfair to give us something when they can't go back and give all of the other teams something.

This is the only way that it can be done.

Veteran

people keep saying we were the victims in last week's game but, technically, that isn't true ... at least based on the evidence. the tape was supposedly confiscated in the first quarter and it stands to reason that most of the analysis and signal interpretation would be done during halftime. since the pats didn't have the tape to review, i don't see how we were victimized.

i don't see why we should get anything unless further evidence proves something more was amiss. personally, i wouldn't want to get a win this way and as for draft picks, what about green bay and the other team last season that were victimized? shouldn't they get anything.

we were just overmatched during the game. we were friggin' 6+ point underdogs at home. and haven't won against ne in nj in about 3 years. stop whining, everyone.

Veteran
    I understand that, but...

If you fire a bullett at someone's head and miss completely, "Was there no crime committed against that person?'

If you attempt to defraud a little old 90 year grandmother out of her home and life savings, "Did you not committ a crime against that person if that attempt fails?"'

If you punch someone in the head, attempting to injure that person, but that person escapes complete injury, "Is no crime committed against that person?"

In my world, a crime was committed against the NFL and against the NY Jets.

Let us not forget that "intent to injure" accounts for something!

your arguments aren't valid if indeed the tape was intended for use at a later date. by that reasoning, the pats haven't actually "attempted" the crime yet.

what ne did is like someone casing a house with the intent of burglarizing it at a later date. if he's seen suspiciously watching the property, you might get him for trespassing but you can't arrest him for burglary.

All League

That figures!
    I'm sure the tactic had some outcome on the game as BB has said he doesn't review the tapes until after the game. He has 3 other tapes of the Mangini led Jets that allowed him to prepare in the fashion he did for last Sundays game.

With that said, every team in the NFL is a victim. The biggest victims are the teams that lost in SB contests because of this tactic.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by NFL NYJETS
    The Jets get nothing.
    The way we played, we don't deserve anything!