Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thomas Jones

Veteran

Thomas Jones

How do you grade Jones on his performance today? A few flashes but nothing solid. Is it him, the line, or a combination of both?

Veteran
    I blame it all on the line, look at what he did in Chicago, the gods are against us!

Veteran
    Knoxville, TN, but originally from NW Mass.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGJET
    How do you grade Jones on his performance today? A few flashes but nothing solid. Is it him, the line, or a combination of both?

When given room to run, he looked good. The fumble was scary, though.

Veteran
    I thought that he did a good job.
    When he had a crack - he took advantage of it.

Honestly, the guy is not LT and tonight is what he is - he'll get 6-8 yards at a clip if you give him a hole. He's a workman. I like how he delivers punishment and runs hard every carry.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Thomas Jones did a great job of picking up the blitz on more than one play today.

Ill hold off judging him until he plays a defense other than the Pats and the Ravens.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino
    Thomas Jones did a great job of picking up the blitz on more than one play today.

Ill hold off judging him until he plays a defense other than the Pats and the Ravens.
    agree he picked up the blitz and got his body on someone the line played good the problem was they were sending more than we had blocking so i give the o-line a solid c+ possible b

Veteran
    When all is said and done..

Jones>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Barlow

Veteran
    He is what he is...We saw today what kind of back he is...he can grind out the yards, but our O-line certainly isn't helping.

The most troubling thing for me today? 0 carries for Leon Washington. I think that Leon can make TJ a better back. He gives us a different look, and a different type of speed out there.

I think if we can somehow find a way to get Leon in the mix, that this offense can put some points up.

Got to do something about the defense though....Is it too late to just switch to a 4-3?

All Pro
    Definitely the line getting over powered the 1st 2 weeks. Jones showed he can get the yards. I would have rather seen Washington on the screens and short dumps but it is what it is. I look for more improvement next week and a complete game by Clemens.

Hall Of Fame
    parcells used to say about running backs "thay all look the same with nowhere to run"

its the line

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino

That's a great point. I think that's why Washington didn't get any carries today - you really needed Jones in there to pick up the blitz if it was necessary.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken O'Brien #7
    He is what he is...We saw today what kind of back he is...he can grind out the yards, but our O-line certainly isn't helping.

The most troubling thing for me today? 0 carries for Leon Washington. I think that Leon can make TJ a better back. He gives us a different look, and a different type of speed out there.

I think if we can somehow find a way to get Leon in the mix, that this offense can put some points up.

Got to do something about the defense though....Is it too late to just switch to a 4-3?

I totally agree, where was Leon???????????????

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by TDJETS10
    That's a great point. I think that's why Washington didn't get any carries today - you really needed Jones in there to pick up the blitz if it was necessary.
    That might be the answer to my concern...TJ did an excellent job picking up the blitz...

But I can now think of a certain #29 that can play the slot receiver position a whole hell of a lot better than a certain #81.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken O'Brien #7
    That might be the answer to my concern...TJ did an excellent job picking up the blitz...

But I can now think of a certain #29 that can play the slot receiver position a whole hell of a lot better than a certain #81.
    Somehow they have to figure out how to get the ball to #29 more b/c he's so dangerous.

Maybe he and Jones in the backfield? I don't remember seeing that today, you?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by TDJETS10
    Somehow they have to figure out how to get the ball to #29 more b/c he's so dangerous.

Maybe he and Jones in the backfield? I don't remember seeing that today, you?
    Not at all...It just has to happen, bottom line. Both TJ and Washington can catch out of the backfield....Leon had a lot of yards for us last year, with a great rookie campaign for a guy that was supposed to be nothing but a 3rd down back, and mediocre punt returner at best...

Got to find a way to get him the ball.

All Pro
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.
    I'm not impressed with him at all so far.

I was one of the few guys on the board who wasn't enamored with the trade right from the start. I saw Jones as an old RB (which is the kiss of death) and was upset that we lost our high 2nd rounder to get him. I thought that pick could have been used on a really good offensive lineman instead. But I grudgingly gained some appreciation for the guy with his great work ethic, leadership and recent productivity on the Bears.

Unfortunately, though, some of my original fears are being realized. Jones has shown a propensity to getting dinged up on the field. That's not surprising given his age and previous injury history. And his running today was OK but definitely nothing spectacular. I think given our putrid OL, his 3 YPC performance today will be replicated often this season. Which is a far cry from how many on the board initially saw him - some type of cross between Jim Brown and Walter Payton.

I much would have preferred getting a stud OL instead and plug in any rookie RB. I'd have been happy taking Blalock with the 2-5 pick and running UDFA Danny Ware behind him.

As a general rule I think OL >>>>> RB in establishing a strong rushing offense.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Should have asked if playing the leagues best D had anything to do with it too.

Seems to me he has a lot of acceleration, hits the line well and when there is an opening he gets to it.

Not much more you can want at this point.

The Bottom line is when there is no run blocking, even LT cant run. Our O-Line is a work in progress. I really hope we pick up a veteran guard. It would really help us. Jones will be fine when the line gets better.

All League
    Until this offensive line performs, only a scatback like Washington will be able to be productive. Withold your judgement until we see any signs of life from the OL.