Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts and Observations from the sideline

JetsInsider.com Legend

Thoughts and Observations from the sideline

My cousin got us great seats right on the 50 about 20 rows up on the lower level. Honestly it was probably the best view Iíve ever had at a NFL game. Nice stadium and great game. Just a few thoughtsÖ.

- Jerricho Cotchery is inching his way in to ďIím better than Laveranuous ColesĒ territory. Bottom line, there isnít another reciever on this team whoís hands I want the ball in more when the game is on the line.

- Female Ravens fans are ridiculously hot, I can not stress this enough.

- Being in Baltimore for Clemensí first start put things in perspective for me in terms of this board. Here we were for months arguing back and forth about the kid, and I was in a stadium today where the entire crowd had no idea who he was and also knew nothing about the problems that Jet fans have collectively had with Pennington.

- Ravens fans are the worst trash talkers in the world. And itís not even so much that their comments arenít original, itís just that theyíre not funny. Remember Steve Carrellís character in The 40 Year Old Version? Well, thatís them, theyíre like one giant collective Andy, Iím serious, itís like a stadium full of virgins, except instead of sex itís jokes. What a vanilla fan base. Loud though when it counts. Gotta say I canít remember the last time I saw a Jet crowd causing delay of game penalties like that.

- Iím sure the second half for Clemens is going to be beat to death all week here, but what gets lost is the positives that I noticed in the first half. The kidís got cajones of steel. He didnít so much as flinch once today, even in the first half when he was getting his ass kicked. Little things, like standing in the pocket and tucking as youíre about to get sacked rather than trying to get off something stupid. He wasnít doing things like that through the past two preseasons. The coaching staff did an excellent job of prepping him for what he was going to be enduring from a physical standpoint this past week.

- As long as this team is able to make offensive and defensive adjustments like they did on both lines going in to the latter part of the second half, weíre going to have a fighting chance in every game this year. But both units need to be consistent from a collective standpoint.

- I think today was a great learning experience for Brick and Mangold. Brick especially.

- Man, Thomas Jones looked like the workhorse we all expect him to be today. I forgot how hard he hits the hole. His numbers do not tell how he did today at all. Further itís very doubtful that Clemens would have gotten off some of those throws in the 4th without his blocking. He picked up one blitz (pretty sure it was Suggs) which a lot of RBís in this league wouldnít have picked up on quick enough.

- You really forget sometimes just how good Todd Heap is until you watch a game like that. Heís most certainly on Gatesí level.

- Weird day for the Baltimore running game, isnít it? Jamal Lewis returns to form on the Browns outside of a Ravens uniform, and Willis McGahee has his first game against Gang Green where he didnít look like a hall of famer in one.

- Justin McCareins ruined Rosh Hashanah.

- Have to give credit where credit is due. Brick had a bad first half but really stepped up in that 4th quarter.

- Darrelle Revis looked fantastic at times but is clearly having a few natural rookie pains. Namely on hitch routes, he seems to give way to much space in between him and the opposing reciever at times and thatís when it really kills him. What really separates him from guys like Barrett though is the fact that when he makes a mistake, heís quick and athletic enough to make up for it. Heís really shining in man coverage though and looked good against the run today.

- I sincerely hope that more of an effort is going to be made to get the ball in to Leonís hands as the season goes on. Iíll give it a pass due to the first two defenses that we faced, but it needs to change. The kidís a playmaker and a legit weapon at that.

- Iím not happy with the job that Suttonís been doing so far. The adjustments (if and when they happen) have been taking too long to make our lack of a pass rush has been pathetic. I understand that weíre lacking in several areas of the D, but thereís players who know how to get after the quarterback here somewhat. We should have been blitzing Boller more, same way that Baltimore brought the house at Kellen a good amount of the time.

- Our special teams stink. Theyíve been absolutely putrid. People can say what they want about the offense or the defense, but thus far our special teams have been the worst unit on the team, which is not only disappointing, but completely surprising as well. Mangini needs to get on Westhoff's ass and he needs to get on it quick. Our D is not good enough to make up for the opposing team having good field position off the bat like this.

- Iím pretty sure that Baker TD was a play specifically designed to get Ray Lewis one on one with the TE, where Lewis normally struggles. Great play. Anything that gets TEís isolated in the red zone always works, repeat, it ALWAYS works. And that is a scientific fact.

That's all I've got for now....
    Last edited by RutgersJetFan; 09-16-2007 at 11:15 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Oh and one more thing:

- The Ravens have male cheerleaders with bullhorns, college style. It's really gay. And the marching band they have just doesn't work. It makes sense fot the Skins because it's a tradition, but in Baltimore it's just wierd. The atmosphere isn't right for a band and the only reason they probably have it is just to mess with Skins fans for not having the only band anymore.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by RutgersJetFan

lol how true

dat bum

always knew he was a no good bum

Rookie
    Oh and one more thing:

- The Ravens have male cheerleaders with bullhorns, college style. It's really gay. And the marching band they have just doesn't work. It makes sense fot the Skins because it's a tradition, but in Baltimore it's just wierd. The atmosphere isn't right for a band and the only reason they probably have it is just to mess with Skins fans for not having the only band anymore.
    Actually, the reason they have it is because the Colts had one when they were in Baltimore. I agree though, it's time has passed.

Hall Of Fame
    Great stuff, Rutgers.

Banned
    My cousin got us great seats right on the 50 about 20 rows up on the lower level. Honestly it was probably the best view Iíve ever had at a NFL game. Nice stadium and great game. Just a few thoughtsÖ.

- Jerricho Cotchery is inching his way in to ďIím better than Laveranuous ColesĒ territory. Bottom line, there isnít another reciever on this team whoís hands I want the ball in more when the game is on the line.

- Female Ravens fans are ridiculously hot, I can not stress this enough.

- Being in Baltimore for Clemensí first start put things in perspective for me in terms of this board. Here we were for months arguing back and forth about the kid, and I was in a stadium today where the entire crowd had no idea who he was and also knew nothing about the problems that Jet fans have collectively had with Pennington.

- Ravens fans are the worst trash talkers in the world. And itís not even so much that their comments arenít original, itís just that theyíre not funny. Remember Steve Carrellís character in The 40 Year Old Version? Well, thatís them, theyíre like one giant collective Andy, Iím serious, itís like a stadium full of virgins, except instead of sex itís jokes. What a vanilla fan base. Loud though when it counts. Gotta say I canít remember the last time I saw a Jet crowd causing delay of game penalties like that.

- Iím sure the second half for Clemens is going to be beat to death all week here, but what gets lost is the positives that I noticed in the first half. The kidís got cajones of steel. He didnít so much as flinch once today, even in the first half when he was getting his ass kicked. Little things, like standing in the pocket and tucking as youíre about to get sacked rather than trying to get off something stupid. He wasnít doing things like that through the past two preseasons. The coaching staff did an excellent job of prepping him for what he was going to be enduring from a physical standpoint this past week.

- As long as this team is able to make offensive and defensive adjustments like they did on both lines going in to the latter part of the second half, weíre going to have a fighting chance in every game this year. But both units need to be consistent from a collective standpoint.

- I think today was a great learning experience for Brick and Mangold. Brick especially.

- Man, Thomas Jones looked like the workhorse we all expect him to be today. I forgot how hard he hits the hole. His numbers do not tell how he did today at all. Further itís very doubtful that Clemens would have gotten off some of those throws in the 4th without his blocking. He picked up one blitz (pretty sure it was Suggs) which a lot of RBís in this league wouldnít have picked up on quick enough.

- You really forget sometimes just how good Todd Heap is until you watch a game like that. Heís most certainly on Gatesí level.

- Weird day for the Baltimore running game, isnít it? Jamal Lewis returns to form on the Browns outside of a Ravens uniform, and Willis McGahee has his first game against Gang Green where he didnít look like a hall of famer in one.

- Have to give credit where credit is due. Brick had a bad first half but really stepped up in that 4th quarter.

- Darrelle Revis looked fantastic at times but is clearly having a few natural rookie pains. Namely on hitch routes, he seems to give way to much space in between him and the opposing reciever at times and thatís when it really kills him. What really separates him from guys like Barrett though is the fact that when he makes a mistake, heís quick and athletic enough to make up for it. Heís really shining in man coverage though and looked good against the run today.

- I sincerely hope that more of an effort is going to be made to get the ball in to Leonís hands as the season goes on. Iíll give it a pass due to the first two defenses that we faced, but it needs to change. The kidís a playmaker and a legit weapon at that.

- Iím not happy with the job that Suttonís been doing so far. The adjustments (if and when they happen) have been taking too long to make our lack of a pass rush has been pathetic. I understand that weíre lacking in several areas of the D, but thereís players who know how to get after the quarterback here somewhat. We should have been blitzing Boller more, same way that Baltimore brought the house at Kellen a good amount of the time.

- Our special teams stink. Theyíve been absolutely putrid. People can say what they want about the offense or the defense, but thus far our special teams have been the worst unit on the team, which is not only disappointing, but completely surprising as well. Mangini needs to get on Suttonís ass and he needs to get on it quick. Our D is not good enough to make up for the opposing team having good field position off the bat like this.

- Iím pretty sure that Baker TD was a play specifically designed to get Ray Lewis one on one with the TE, where Lewis normally struggles. Great play. Anything that gets TEís isolated in the red zone always works, repeat, it ALWAYS works. And that is a scientific fact.

That's all I've got for now....
    Good stuff as usual Doug.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by green&white
    Actually, the reason they have it is because the Colts had one when they were in Baltimore. I agree though, it's time has passed.
    Ah, I did not know that.

Really cool statue of Johnny U right outside the stadium though.

All League
    Oh and one more thing:

RJF..The Baltimore Colts had a famous Marching Band.

When the Ravens returned football to Baltimore, the restoration of the Marching band was a natural.

I know you're a movie buff.. its been awhile since I've seen it, but I think there's a reference to the Baltimore Colts Marching Band in the great movie "Diner".

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets 2007
    RJF..The Baltimore Colts had a famous Marching Band.

When the Ravens returned football to Baltimore, the restoration of the Marching band was a natural.

I know your a movie buff.. its been awhile since I've seen it, but I think there's a reference to the Baltimore Colts Marching Band in the great movie "Diner".
    I guess that makes sense, but you have to see it in person, the band just doesn't work. What even makes it worse is the fact that they're not a good band.

On top of that they take up an entire section of primo seating.

Is Diner the one with Steve Guttenberg and Mickey Rourke?

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Quote Originally Posted by Klecko73isGod
    Tell me more about these male cheerleaders doug

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by CTM
    I was going to take pictures of them with my camera phone for Kleck. He's my friend and that's what friends are for, I have no problems with his sexual orientation and figured he'd like to see what they looked like.

And then I realized that his gayness would inadvertanly rub off on me if I supported his.

All League
    great stuff RJF...enjoyed it!

Agree about Clemens too...

Banned
    I was going to take pictures of them with my camera phone for Kleck. He's my friend and that's what friends are for, I have no problems with his sexual orientation and figured he'd like to see what they looked like.

And then I realized that his gayness would inadvertanly rub off on me if I supported his.
    The two of you really need to stop projecting your homosexual fantasies onto others. It's become painfully obvious.

All League
    Is Diner the one with Steve Guttenberg and Mickey Rourke?
    ...and Paul Reiser and Kevin Bacon and Ellen Barkin and Tim Daly and Daniel Stern.

(OK..I admit..I looked that up . )

JetsInsider.com Legend
    great post buddy.

Happy Rosh Hashanah!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515
    great post buddy.

Happy Rosh Hashanah!
    La shana tova to you as well my friend.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets 2007
    ...and Paul Reiser and Kevin Bacon and Ellen Barkin and Tim Daly and Daniel Stern.

(OK..I admit..I looked that up . )
    I need to go back and watch that one again. I saw it once but it was a long time ago.

btw, was there a Ryan/Pociask/Kowalewski sighting today?

Banned
    Great read.

Could you elaborate on your thoughts about Brick/Mangold's learning experience today...

Undrafted Free Agent
    Great analysis RJF, Iím assuming you were on the Jets side, I was sitting on the 50 4 rows back. In general it was a real tough first half that looked to be a continuation from last weekís game. Iíll have to rewatch the game this week, but at the game I felt we had no right even making it a close game as we were playing poorly in all 3 phases of the game through 3 quarters. Offense just could not put together several positive plays in a row, the defense could not put pressure on Boller until well into the 2nd quarter, and special teams was giving them great field position. Iíll play the optimist here and say the team showed some character in the 4th quarter. We took advantage of some terrible play calling from the Ravens late in the game. I felt that we needed a break the whole game and since we couldn't even get a sack, a defensive turnover was out of the question. Clemens, Cotchery, and the Offensive line tried to provide as much of spark in the 4th quarter as they could, but we really never had that big / game-changing play.
    Iíve been a huge fan of his since his rookie training camp. He is a football player and is a pleasure to watch. That 3rd down catch earlier in the game showed his hands and some of the runs after the catch later in the game showed his heart and toughness. The League has a ton of great wide receivers, but he will earn his way into that conversation over the next few seasons.
    A few minutes into the game a guy sitting front row, after consulting some of his friends turns to me and says, "where is Clemens from"?
    I was shocked how calm and relaxed he looked before the game and after series. It was clearly not a result of not caring, but seemed to be a result of self-confidence and hopefully a sense of preparedness. Pennington earned his captain status today as he was talking to Clemens all game long and pacing the sidelines as if he was playing today. He had his helmet going on and off all game long and was pumping up the offensive units before series. Mangini stayed away from the Schoty-Clemens-Pennington-Tui conversations all game long, but came over to give some input early in the 4th. Perhaps whatever was discussed at that point (blocking schemes or Clemens stepping up in the pocket), affected their play the remainder of the game.