Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 102

Thread: Please explain for me why Curtis Martin cannot be disliked

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,074

    Please explain for me why Curtis Martin cannot be disliked



    Jets who I recognize as leaders: Namath, Buttle, Lyons, Klecko, Powell, Cox, and Coles....certainly not Martin.

    Silent Sam Jets who never won Super Bowls: Curtis, O'Brien, Leahy, Ellis, Aaron Glenn etc.

  2. #2
    JetsFan2012
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetman73


    Jets who I recognize as leaders: Namath, Buttle, Lyons, Klecko, Powell, Cox, and Coles....certainly not Martin.

    Silent Sam Jets who never won Super Bowls: Curtis, O'Brien, Leahy, Ellis, Aaron Glenn etc.

    Testaverde.

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    14,534
    Simple answer - because there is absolutely nothing not to like about a guy who was an absolute warrior, left everything he had on the field every game, mentored younger players and lived the right way off the field on top of it.

    Saying you don't like Martin as a person and/or a player is essentially a declaration of terminal stupidity.

  4. #4
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    27,261
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it
    Simple answer - because there is absolutely nothing not to like about a guy who was an absolute warrior, left everything he had on the field every game, mentored younger players and lived the right way off the field on top of it.

    Saying you don't like Martin as a person and/or a player is essentially a declaration of terminal stupidity.
    QFT, one of the better posts I've read here recently.

  5. #5
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,074
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it
    Simple answer - because there is absolutely nothing not to like about a guy who was an absolute warrior, left everything he had on the field every game, mentored younger players and lived the right way off the field on top of it
    Are you one of the cavemen on the GEICO commercial?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetman73


    Jets who I recognize as leaders: Namath, Buttle, Lyons, Klecko, Powell, Cox, and Coles....certainly not Martin.

    Silent Sam Jets who never won Super Bowls: Curtis, O'Brien, Leahy, Ellis, Aaron Glenn etc.

    go away now heretic.

  7. #7
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Parsippany, NJ
    Posts
    3,705
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetman73


    Jets who I recognize as leaders: Namath, Buttle, Lyons, Klecko, Powell, Cox, and Coles....certainly not Martin.

    Silent Sam Jets who never won Super Bowls: Curtis, O'Brien, Leahy, Ellis, Aaron Glenn etc.
    What's there to dislike about Martin?

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    22,746
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it
    Simple answer - because there is absolutely nothing not to like about a guy who was an absolute warrior, left everything he had on the field every game, mentored younger players and lived the right way off the field on top of it.

    Saying you don't like Martin as a person and/or a player is essentially a declaration of terminal stupidity.
    Pretty much sums it up perfectly right there.

  9. #9
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,074
    Quote Originally Posted by hollywoodjet
    go away now heretic.
    That just about sums up the"Martinologists" on the board! hahahahaha

  10. #10
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Albany, New York
    Posts
    2,436
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetman73


    Jets who I recognize as leaders: Namath, Buttle, Lyons, Klecko, Powell, Cox, and Coles....certainly not Martin.
    Out of curiosity, why do you consider someone like Coles a leader and not Martin?

  11. #11
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,074
    Quote Originally Posted by adb280z
    What's there to dislike about Martin?
    1) He really wasnt a leader on the team, just led by example - same as Ken O'Brien getting beaten up every week. I'll take Cox over Curtis any day.

    2) He drove Lamont outta town. Jordan was a far superior RB on the goaline to Martin, but, Curtis always wanted the ball.

    3) The last 29 minutes of the Denver game? Curtis is as guilty as anyone. Our only shot at a SB with him.

    4) A RB who really wasnt feared. Had great lines and ran up numbers.

  12. #12
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,074
    Quote Originally Posted by TD C-Mart
    Out of curiosity, why do you consider someone like Coles a leader and not Martin?
    Coles is real. He wants to win and shows his frustration at not winning. I like that. It's honest.

  13. #13
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Albany, New York
    Posts
    2,436
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetman73
    Coles is real. He wants to win and shows his frustration at not winning. I like that. It's honest.
    Not mouthing off at the media is dishonest?

  14. #14
    HOw can you not like him as a football player? he played his heart out for this team. Is something wrong with you?

  15. #15
    All League
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetman73
    1) He really wasnt a leader on the team, just led by example - same as Ken O'Brien getting beaten up every week. I'll take Cox over Curtis any day.

    2) He drove Lamont outta town. Jordan was a far superior RB on the goaline to Martin, but, Curtis always wanted the ball.

    3) The last 29 minutes of the Denver game? Curtis is as guilty as anyone. Our only shot at a SB with him.

    4) A RB who really wasnt feared. Had great lines and ran up numbers.
    Son of Savage.

  16. #16
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,074
    Quote Originally Posted by TD C-Mart
    Not mouthing off at the media is dishonest?
    Not mouthing off is being a good little boy. Perfect for his career after football. Coles will not be on TV when his days are up.

  17. #17
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Parsippany, NJ
    Posts
    3,705
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetman73
    Not mouthing off is being a good little boy. Perfect for his career after football. Coles will not be on TV when his days are up.
    Curtis Martin isn't really on TV much either.

  18. #18
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Albany, New York
    Posts
    2,436
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetman73
    Not mouthing off is being a good little boy. Perfect for his career after football. Coles will not be on TV when his days are up.
    So you'd rather have a leader who mouths off and doesn't have a future in television. I can respect that, some of the best leaders are those who have a very dynamic presence, on and/or off the field.

    I don't think Martin was quiet because he was setting up some career after football, I think it's just a part of his character. I also think you can lead through example and still make an impact on those you play with. He certainly seemed to have that relationship with many of our younger players, Leon coming to mind.

    But it's not a big deal, you don't have to like Martin, it's your call.

  19. #19
    Martin tried his best to play through his injuries.

    Thats what I like about him. He did his best to support his team

  20. #20
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    14,534
    Quote Originally Posted by adb280z
    Curtis Martin isn't really on TV much either.
    Don't bother 73 with facts - he doesn't really care about them all that much.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us