Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Please explain for me why Curtis Martin cannot be disliked

All League

Please explain for me why Curtis Martin cannot be disliked

Jets who I recognize as leaders: Namath, Buttle, Lyons, Klecko, Powell, Cox, and Coles....certainly not Martin.

Silent Sam Jets who never won Super Bowls: Curtis, O'Brien, Leahy, Ellis, Aaron Glenn etc.

JetsFan2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetman73

Jets who I recognize as leaders: Namath, Buttle, Lyons, Klecko, Powell, Cox, and Coles....certainly not Martin.

Silent Sam Jets who never won Super Bowls: Curtis, O'Brien, Leahy, Ellis, Aaron Glenn etc.

Testaverde.

Hall Of Fame
    Simple answer - because there is absolutely nothing not to like about a guy who was an absolute warrior, left everything he had on the field every game, mentored younger players and lived the right way off the field on top of it.

Saying you don't like Martin as a person and/or a player is essentially a declaration of terminal stupidity.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it
    Simple answer - because there is absolutely nothing not to like about a guy who was an absolute warrior, left everything he had on the field every game, mentored younger players and lived the right way off the field on top of it.

Saying you don't like Martin as a person and/or a player is essentially a declaration of terminal stupidity.
    QFT, one of the better posts I've read here recently.

All League
    Simple answer - because there is absolutely nothing not to like about a guy who was an absolute warrior, left everything he had on the field every game, mentored younger players and lived the right way off the field on top of it
    Are you one of the cavemen on the GEICO commercial?

go away now heretic.

All League

What's there to dislike about Martin?

Banned

Pretty much sums it up perfectly right there.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by hollywoodjet
    go away now heretic.
    That just about sums up the"Martinologists" on the board! hahahahaha

Veteran

Out of curiosity, why do you consider someone like Coles a leader and not Martin?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by adb280z
    What's there to dislike about Martin?
    1) He really wasnt a leader on the team, just led by example - same as Ken O'Brien getting beaten up every week. I'll take Cox over Curtis any day.

2) He drove Lamont outta town. Jordan was a far superior RB on the goaline to Martin, but, Curtis always wanted the ball.

3) The last 29 minutes of the Denver game? Curtis is as guilty as anyone. Our only shot at a SB with him.

4) A RB who really wasnt feared. Had great lines and ran up numbers.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by TD C-Mart
    Out of curiosity, why do you consider someone like Coles a leader and not Martin?
    Coles is real. He wants to win and shows his frustration at not winning. I like that. It's honest.

Veteran
    Coles is real. He wants to win and shows his frustration at not winning. I like that. It's honest.
    Not mouthing off at the media is dishonest?

HOw can you not like him as a football player? he played his heart out for this team. Is something wrong with you?

All League
    1) He really wasnt a leader on the team, just led by example - same as Ken O'Brien getting beaten up every week. I'll take Cox over Curtis any day.

2) He drove Lamont outta town. Jordan was a far superior RB on the goaline to Martin, but, Curtis always wanted the ball.

3) The last 29 minutes of the Denver game? Curtis is as guilty as anyone. Our only shot at a SB with him.

4) A RB who really wasnt feared. Had great lines and ran up numbers.
    Son of Savage.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by TD C-Mart
    Not mouthing off at the media is dishonest?
    Not mouthing off is being a good little boy. Perfect for his career after football. Coles will not be on TV when his days are up.

All League
    Not mouthing off is being a good little boy. Perfect for his career after football. Coles will not be on TV when his days are up.
    Curtis Martin isn't really on TV much either.

Veteran
    So you'd rather have a leader who mouths off and doesn't have a future in television. I can respect that, some of the best leaders are those who have a very dynamic presence, on and/or off the field.

I don't think Martin was quiet because he was setting up some career after football, I think it's just a part of his character. I also think you can lead through example and still make an impact on those you play with. He certainly seemed to have that relationship with many of our younger players, Leon coming to mind.

But it's not a big deal, you don't have to like Martin, it's your call.

Martin tried his best to play through his injuries.

Thats what I like about him. He did his best to support his team

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by adb280z
    Curtis Martin isn't really on TV much either.
    Don't bother 73 with facts - he doesn't really care about them all that much.