Thread: This Date in NFL History - September 24

Rookie

This Date in NFL History - September 24

September 24

1972 Joe Namath throws for 496 yards and six touchdowns as the New York Jets defeat Baltimore 44-34. Colts quarterback Johnny Unitas contributes 376 yards as the teams combine for a record 872 passing yards.

http://www.nfl.com/history/0921-0927

All Pro

One of my most memorable experiences as a Jet fan...I torn my MCL, broke my growth plate and fractured my fibia during a game...came home to see the 2nd 1/2 of Jets@Bucs in 1 of the best finishes in jets history.

Keyshawn Johnsons 1 catch, 1 yard.

(Chrebet catches a pass from Martin and gives the finger wave as if to say...shut the **** up keyshawn)...awesome, awesome game! Jets moved to 4-0

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby
    September 24

1972 Joe Namath throws for 496 yards and six touchdowns as the New York Jets defeat Baltimore 44-34. Colts quarterback Johnny Unitas contributes 376 yards as the teams combine for a record 872 passing yards.

The game that turned me into a Jets fan for life.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by parkwayjet1
    The game that turned me into a Jets fan for life.
    I thought I was old.

All Pro
    Funny didn't realize that today was the anniversary of that game when I wrote about that game in the Riggens thread. He had an awesome TD in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby
    September 24

I remember that game well. 2 of the greatest, Namath & Unitas put a show on.

The Jets finished 2nd in the division with a 7-7 record that year. Miami came in 1st place in the division with a perfect 14-0 record.

The Jets were 7-5 with 2 games remaining in the season. The final 2 games were at Oakland for a Monday night game, and then home against the Browns. If the Jets beat the Raiders and the Browns they would have made the playoffs as a wild card. However their entire backfield, Boozer, Riggins & Snell, were injured so it became almost mission impossible. Namath had to throw on virtually every down against the Raiders, and despite no quality rbs the Jets, thanks to Joe Willie, were very competative against the Raiders but fell short. (I believe they lost by 8 points. They were down by only 1 late in the 4th quarter, but the Raiders went for a 4th & 1 suprising the Jets with a pass that resulted in a long TD)

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan
    I thought I was old.
    You young whippersnapper! I'm even older than you think. I was 15 and a baseball-only fan until I was fatally infected with the Jets bug due to watching that game.

All Pro
    I also remember Richard Caster having a great game that day. When the guy wasn't dropping the ball there was no better tight end in the league. Him and Joe between the both of them almost pulled out a game on Monday night Football late in the season against the Raiders that could have put them in the playoffs as a wildcard.