Thread: Van Halen - Greensboro 9/29/07 Review

All Pro

Van Halen - Greensboro 9/29/07 Review

About 15 minutes before the scheduled showtime Bob Marley's kid Ky-Mani opens the show. I was thinking WTF is this (didn't even know there was an opening act on this tour). He held his own and was actually quite entertaining for his 45 minute set.

Van Halen came on at about 9 PM and plays until 11:15. They used pretty much the same set they did in Charlotte. Opened with a trio of songs including You Really Got Me and Running With The Devil. Overall they sounded pretty damn good for a group on the second show of the first stage of their reunion tour.

Edward (apparantly he no longer goes by Eddie - since David Lee Roth only referred to him as Edward all night) kicked fricken a$$. This is the best he has been since the early 90s. His solo was nothing short of amazing. Wolfgang held his own with the big boys and the chemistry between him and his old man was obvious. Alex had a tremendous solo and was rock solid through the whole night.

That brings us to David Lee. I give him an A+ for stage presence and story telling, a B for his voice. He was lacking in the energy department as the show went on which I am sure will pick up as the tour goes on. Overall he fit right in and shared the spotlight with Eddie all night. Eddie and David were obviously happy to be back on stage together.

Highlights include Ice Cream Man, Unchained, So This Is Love, Somebody Get A Doctor and Jamie's Crying. They were dead on in each of these. A personal favorite of mine is Wolfgang and David Lee singing Pretty Woman... and David Lee riding the inflatable microphone.

One Lowlight... worst version of Hot For Teacher I have ever heard from them

They closed the show with Jump, which was pretty much the only way to go considering they have to appeal to the fans that show up for Jump, Panama, etc.

Overall it was a very entertaining night and well worth the price of admission. They will only get better as the tour goes on. I may actually make it up to see them in NY if I can schedule it around either a work or family visit.
    Last edited by Bergen Jet; 09-30-2007 at 01:31 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by BergenJet View Post
    About 15 minutes before the scheduled showtime Bob Marley's kid Ky-Mani opens the show. I was thinking WTF is this (didn't even know there was an opening act on this tour). He held his own and was actually quite entertaining for his 45 minute set.

Van Halen came on at about 9 PM and plays until 11:15. They used pretty much the same set they did in Charlotte. Opened with a trio of songs including You Really Got Me and Running With The Devil. Overall they sounded pretty damn good for a group on the second show of the first stage of their reunion tour.

Edward (apparantly he no longer goes by Eddie - since David Lee Roth only referred to him as Edward all night) kicked fricken a$$. This is the best he has been since the early 90s. His solo was nothing short of amazing. Wolfgang held his own with the big boys and the chemistry between him and his old man was obvious. Alex had a tremendous solo and was rock solid through the whole night.

That brings us to David Lee. I give him an A+ for stage presence and story telling, a B for his voice. He was lacking in the energy department as the show went on which I am sure will pick up as the tour goes on. Overall he fit right in and shared the spotlight with Eddie all night. Eddie and David were obviously happy to be back on stage together.

Highlights include Ice Cream Man, Unchained, So This Is Love, Somebody Get A Doctor and Jamie's Crying. They were dead on in each of these. A personal favorite of mine is Wolfgang and David Lee singing Pretty Woman... and David Lee riding the inflatable microphone.

One Lowlight... worst version of Hot For Teacher I have ever heard from the,

They closed the show with Jump, which was pretty much the only way to go considering they have to appeal to the fans that show up for Jump, Panama, etc.

Overall it was a very entertaining night and well worth the price of admission. They will only get better as the tour goes on. I may actually make it up to see them in NY if I can schedule it around either a work or family visit.

cool !

I'd love to see them expand as the tour goes on, and add a few suprises like when PJ plays a beatles tune.

I'd like to see them play everybody wants some !, but that's nitpicking

thanks for the review

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by samwise View Post
    cool !

I'd like to see them play everybody wants some !,
    If that is what you want to see them play then you will be a very happy man if you go see them.

Hall Of Fame
    If that is what you want to see them play then you will be a very happy man if you go see them.
    lol, I didn't notice that on the set list

I'm eyeing the NJ and LI shows

All Pro
    One of my fears when moving down here was not getting the big shows swinging by and having to go to either Raleigh or Charlotte to see a show. First big tour to kick off since I moved here is VH... and the second show is in Greensboro.

No on-stage fistfight between DLR & Eddie?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Baddniss View Post
    No on-stage fistfight between DLR & Eddie?
    More of a lovefest.

that wont last!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Baddniss View Post
    that wont last!
    With Eddie back from rehab and Diamond Dave needing work I say it lasts for the whole tour.

Banned

One Lowlight... worst version of Hot For Teacher I have ever heard from them

How much did tics cost you??

Sure Glad the boys are back playing real 80s Rock!

how were the harmonies without michael anthony?

All League
    I just checked out some clips on youtube. First off Wolfgang looks ridiculous up there. Its a little fat kid who doesnt move at all and sounds like a kid when he does backing vocals which ruined it for me. Eddie and Alex sounded great and David sounded the best I have ever heard him live.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Most importantly...Was Valarie there and has she put the weight back on?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetsrush View Post
    I just checked out some clips on youtube. First off Wolfgang looks ridiculous up there. Its a little fat kid who doesnt move at all and sounds like a kid when he does backing vocals which ruined it for me. Eddie and Alex sounded great and David sounded the best I have ever heard him live.
    Actually, Wolfgang is a kid... but he did a great job IMO.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DieHard JETfan View Post
    How much did tics cost you??

Sure Glad the boys are back playing real 80s Rock!
    102.50 for the pair. I got them below face off of ebay the night before the show. eTickets were mailed to me immediately and they were better seats than what I got through ticketmaster. This also enabled me to sell my pair to a friend for face value and make him and his girl very happy.