Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else excited Eric Smith starting?

All Pro

Anyone else excited Eric Smith starting?

I absolutely hated the draft pick of Eric Smith. I had only read alittle about him, and I figured he really should be a 5-6th round pick. I even hated him halfway through the season just because of being stubborn.

But midway through last season, after Riggins44 opened my eyes it was clearly one of those situations in Which the FO is just smarter then us.

We drafted Eric Smith around the same time Ko Simpson, and Darnell Bing got drafted. But I actually think he has a ton more upside. It seems the FO looked past his 40 time(Which was decent) to their credit and looked and really could have found a gem here.

His triangle numbers were one of the best in the combine, and Elite for his position. For the non draft forum guys reading this thats his Vertical, long, and Bench together...Many Gm's look at this forumula to measure explosiveness.---Also he was a team captain, and his football IQ is Elite as well. I remember reading he is very good communicator on the field as well.

Now that hes healthy(or it seems like it) I think Eric Smith takes the job and runs with it. This guy has a TON of upside.

All League
    excited maybe too strong of a word. a bit happy yes

can't do worse than coleman. think he will be a good player for us

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Get Eric Smith and David Harris on the field a LOT more.

All Pro
    Even though Coelman is my Adopt-A-Jet, I'm looking foward to see what Smith can bring to the table. He did flash a bit last year, so I hope he carries that into Sunday's game and has a consistent amount of success.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    excited maybe too strong of a word. a bit happy yes

can't do worse than coleman. think he will be a good player for us
    You should be excited my man.

We have had an absolute JAG playing FS for years now.

We now are gonna have a younger guy, signed longer, with 100 times the upside of Coleman. Smith is gona surprise alot of people this year if he stays healthy.

Hall Of Fame
    He adds a lot more physical toughness to our D, I think he is a huge upgrade to our D.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

He is a hitter and I love hitters on D... Spoke to him during training camp.... He loves wearing the green and white... GO GET THEM ERIC...... Just hit somebody...

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFranchise View Post
    Even though Coelman is my Adopt-A-Jet, I'm looking foward to see what Smith can bring to the table. He did flash a bit last year, so I hope he carries that into Sunday's game and has a consistent amount of success.
    you are a bad parent. they should take him away from you

Banned
    I wouldn't call him an upgrade... since he is an unproven commodity, but I would say that the prospect of what E. Smith brings to the table is exciting when comparing him to E. Coleman. I feel Smith has strengths in his game, that make him a better fit as a FS in the 3-4, if they translate to the field.

All Pro
    We need him to make tackles against the run.

Hall Of Fame
    For the same reasons you want Smith in the game are the ones we should all want Clemens in there: development and upside.

I wouldn't say I'm excited he's in there because of the short term results (i.e. this game), but for the potential long term ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    We need him to make tackles against the run.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    For the same reasons you want Smith in the game are the ones we should all want Clemens in there: development and upside.

I wouldn't say I'm excited he's in there because of the short term results (i.e. this game), but for the potential long term ones.

Eric Smith will be an upgrade over E Coleman from Day 1. This is S, not QB.

If he didnt get hurt, he's be starting over Coleman already.
    Last edited by KR; 10-05-2007 at 01:40 PM.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Get Eric Smith and David Harris on the field a LOT more.
    i second that. i think eric smith will keep this starting job as long as he is healthy. i think he probably would have won the job in tc if he had not gotten hurt. i've noticed harris playing a lot more the last 2 games and i think/hope that will continue. he should be able to help us play the run better.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Rhodes View Post
    You should be excited my man.
    KR, I think "hopeful" is the right word. So far, of all Tannenbaum's non-1st round picks, Leon Wahsington is all we have to brag about. (And he's a 3rd down, change of pace back - not a starter). So for Tannenbaum's sake, I really hope E. Smith pans out.

Banned
    Barring Injury I don't see ANY way that E. Smith loses his job to Coleman. I've seen E. Smith make more plays in his limited action than E. Coleman has made after that first fluke season.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardTodd27 View Post
    KR, I think "hopeful" is the right word. So far, of all Tannenbaum's non-1st round picks, Leon Wahsington is all we have to brag about. (And he's a 3rd down, change of pace back - not a starter). So for Tannenbaum's sake, I really hope E. Smith pans out.
    KC looks promising and David Harris seems like he is going to be a very good player from what I have seen. Two second round picks that seem to be doing pretty well.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Rhodes View Post
    Eric Smith will be an upgrade over E Coleman from Day 1. This is S, not QB.

If he didnt get hurt, he's be starting over Coleman already.
    Clemens will be an upgrade over Penny too.

As would Harris over Vilma.

But Vilma and Penny have the "name" advantage over Coleman.

Hall Of Fame
    I'm happy, hopefully they'll start Harris as well so those two can hit a few people. Our D is missing players with attitude.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    That guy looks a lot like Blasto: