Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The “Reasons for Mangini Confidence” Thread

JetsInsider.com Legend

The “Reasons for Mangini Confidence” Thread

So we’re 1-6. Chad is still the starter. Vilma may be out for a while or the season.

It is….what it is.

What I want to know, and wish to see my fellow posters provide in this thread, are the reasons for Optimism for Coach Mangini and the 2008, 2009, etc. New York Jets.

What I DO NOT want to see are empty, meaningless, coach-speak platitudes about patience, faith, takes time or any other such nonsense. What I DO NOT want to see are unrelated mentions of other coaches success or failure, that has nothing whatsoever to do with Mangini specifically. What I DO NOT want to see, in other words, is your FAITH.

What I DO want to see are specific players acquired in the Mangini era, who are playing well and project to playing well in 2008 and beyond.

What I DO want to see are specific player moves made by Coach Mangini that shows his great insight into player motivation, and have had tangible results on the field.

What I DO want to see are great in-game coaching moves made by Mangini, that had clear effect on the game at the time, and changed the game for the positive.

What I DO want to see are great half-time adjustments made by Coach Mangini that turned around a poor first half, into a great second half.

What I DO want to see are Schemes Coach Mangini and his staff have come up with pre-game that stifled or stopped an opponents best weapon, or sullied an opponents dominant Defense.

Facts, in other words. The kind of facts that engender confidence, not faith.

That is all I want. Something to inspire my confidence that this waste of a season will not be the norm, but merely a bump in the road.

So, pretend I am a doubting fan of some other team, and it’s your job to convince me WHY Mangini is a good coach, and why he deserves our confidence and more time.

My mind is open, and I await some great, well thought out, compelling arguments. We have some truly knowledge posters here, and if anyone can restore my confidence, it's you guys.

Banned
    The young players we added in the off season will be better.

This team isn't that different than last year, we have been in every game, and even though we are 1-6, I still get that feeling that we have a chance to win every week.

Kellen will be our QB in 08.

<insert sound of crickets here>

Sorry, I haven't seen Mangini do ANYTHING that makes me believe he is a good HC.

But, he is smart enough to keep Chad as the starting QB after witnessing Chad's brilliant hail mary pass.
    Last edited by SanAntonio_JetFan; 10-25-2007 at 11:48 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    What I DO want to see are specific players acquired in the Mangini era, who are playing well and project to playing well in 2008 and beyond.
    I think for that aspect, Tannanbaum deserves just as much, if not more credit.

Brick
    Mangold
    Harris
    Revis
    K. Coleman
    Leon

And I'll throw Cotchery in there too. Broke out under Tangini and was also resigned under Tannenbaum for a very reasonable price.

If Clemens pans out, that's about 6-7 quality starters aquired in 2 years. Not too shabby.

Banned
    Did he show you anything last year?

Hall Of Fame

Mangini is a Tough Talker, That's It...

Mangini threatened changes and do you know how many performance based changes there will be? ZERO

I called this before Wednesday and I have been proven right every time on Mangini.

If you read today's Daily News, sources tell Cimini the Moron, that not a single starter is going to be changed from the Bengals game based on performance. Vilma is sitting because of injury. In fact, Baker will return as a starter.

PLUS, Sutton will STILL have play calling duties.

Again, Mangini is all talk and no action in 2007. He's just a stubborn fool or a complete idiot. It's really sad, because he was truly promising in 2006, but he has betrayed everything he stood for last year.

Hopefully this is a sophmore slump and he'll return to being the HC he was in 2006 for next season. Otherwise, the Mangini apologists will have nothing to stand on.

Hall Of Fame

I Have to Add This...

I hate to keep citing Cimini the Moron, but his last couple of articles have had some great information in them. This is from today's News:

"It's also believed there was a faction of the organization that was lobbying for Kellen Clemens."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...or_jets-3.html

Now, of course, people are going to say that Cimini is full of it and just making stuff up. But what if there is a faction in the Jets organization (this means people on the coaching staff and FO rather than players) that want Clemens to start now but are being overruled by Mangini?

That means that there's a rift in the Jets organization which is not good. If those members lobbying for Clemens are pretty high up, this could cause problems for Mangini down the road because if the Jets continue to fail with Chad the Clemens-contingent in the organization are going to blame 1 person: Eric Mangini.
    Last edited by SMC; 10-25-2007 at 11:28 AM.

Veteran
    Mangini must really know what he's got in Kellen for him to be keeping him out this long. The season is over, and Chad's trade value will sink if he is benched.

Mangini's "fire and brimstone" speech after the the Cinci game rings hollow.

It's kind of like parents who use empty threats on thier children -- it doesn't work and the children lose respect for them as authority figures.

Hall Of Fame
    woody hired him a year too soon, so he gets a pass this year so woody doesn't have egg on his face

sorry dude, that's all I got

Veteran
    You guys are ridiculous, i bet you were all the same people praising "mangenious" exactly 1 year ago. So all of a sudden he goes from a brilliant coach to someone who has no idea what they are doing? Patience really is a virtue.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Reason to be optimistic - Our only downside next year is losing one more game than we've lost this year. Can't do much worse. In fact, we may double our wins!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by genom View Post
    You guys are ridiculous, i bet you were all the same people praising "mangenious" exactly 1 year ago. So all of a sudden he goes from a brilliant coach to someone who has no idea what they are doing? Patience really is a virtue.
    If there are reasons for optimism, please....list them, and explain them. I WANT to hear them.

But criticising us doesn't answer the question, and smells more like avoidance than anythign else. Fine, we doubters may indeed be wrongheaded and impatient, admitted.

Tell us why.

All Pro
    Damn, whats with all these demanding posts?

Between you and Kerry, I feel like I'm back in school!!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Im not saying he's going to be anywhere as good as Parcells...but we all know that Bill had a rocky start himself his first year.

Maybe Mangini should have had this season last year.

Veteran
    Reasons for optimism? How about learning from some of the best, proven winners in Parcells and Belichick. How about taking a team to a wildcard with a first year 3-4 defense and a proclaimed noodle armed quarterbak. If after another year this 3-4 defense still has the same players, I am willing to jump ship ont his guy. I just think it's way too early to give up on him after a rough second year start.

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    I hate to keep citing Cimini the Moron, but his last couple of articles have had some great information in them. This is from today's News:

"It's also believed there was a faction of the organization that was lobbying for Kellen Clemens."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...or_jets-3.html

Now, of course, people are going to say that Cimini is full of it and just making stuff up. But what if there is a faction in the Jets organization (this means people on the coaching staff and FO rather than players) that want Clemens to start now but are being overruled by Mangini?

That means that there's a rift in the Jets organization which is not good. If those members lobbying for Clemens are pretty high up, this could cause problems for Mangini down the road because if the Jets continue to fail with Chad the Clemens-contingent in the organization are going to blame 1 person: Eric Mangini.
    Wow! Can't say I'm surprised though. All I have to say is..

All Pro
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.
    Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonio_JetFan View Post
    <insert sound of crickets here>

Sorry, I haven't seen Mangini do ANYTHING that makes me believe he is a good HC.

But, he is smart enough to keep Chad as the starting QB after witnessing Chad's brilliant hail mary pass.
    litteral LOL!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by genom View Post
    Reasons for optimism? How about learning from some of the best, proven winners in Parcells and Belichick. How about taking a team to a wildcard with a first year 3-4 defense and a proclaimed noodle armed quarterbak. If after another year this 3-4 defense still has the same players, I am willing to jump ship ont his guy. I just think it's way too early to give up on him after a rough second year start.
    It's not "giving up" on Mangini. Mangini simply has no right to be called a "good" HC. None. He's not a "bad" HC, per se. But what he has done thus far in his CAREER does not support the claim that he is a good HC.

It boils down to a simple 2 words: PROVE IT. Mangini has to prove that he is a good HC by what he does and how his team performs. That's it. He can't continue to be a sub .500 HC and be provided excuses for.

Mangini has this year and next to prove whether 2006 or 2007 was the fluke. If he has another bad year in 2008 and, Mod forbid, Chad is the starter in 2008, then Mangini should AT LEAST be on the hotseast for 2009 if not outright fired going into 2009.

By the way, I like what Tannenbaum has done thus far better than Mangini, so I think Mike T should stay on and be able to hire the new HC.

All Pro
    My reasons for being optimistic:

1) The past two drafts- we got some great talent and (for the most part) great value. Brick, Mangold, Washington, and even Eric Smith have shown they can play in this league. Revis, Harris and Clemens all look promising as well.

2) No crazy FA signings- Now there will be very differing opinions on this, but I'm glad we didn't go out and make a huge splash in FA this year. Outside of A. Thomas, there were no real premier FAs that made me jump out of my seat. Could you imagine if we signed Porter? Ugh.

3) Mangini & co. still seem to have a plan in place and are not panicking. I know he was SEETHING on Sunday, but he didn't pull a Denny Green which is comforting.

4) Amid the rumors he lost the team, Coles, who was always somewhat critical (but never half-assed it) came out and ensured team unity. That speaks volumes.