Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three areas the Jets MUST upgrade next year...

Hall Of Fame

Three areas the Jets MUST upgrade next year...

Well there are more than 3, probably like about 6 or 7 but the three musts in my opinion.

- Guard, both Moore and Clarke were disgusting pass blocking today, they each either whiffed or just let the guy head up on them in free while they blocked down a couple of times.

- 3rd WR, this hurts us more than is apparent. The quality offenses in the league use that 3rd wr match up to great effect. We have two studs in coles and cotchery but we desperately need a quality 3rd guy.

- playmaking DE or OLB. I don't care which it is but we need a guy that can actually rush the passer on his own. We got pressure on Edwards today alright, by blitzing our CB or 2 backers every play. We must have a disruptive pass rusher.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Well there are more than 3, probably like about 6 or 7 but the three musts in my opinion.

- Guard, both Moore and Clarke were disgusting pass blocking today, they each either whiffed or just let the guy head up on them in free while they blocked down a couple of times.

- 3rd WR, this hurts us more than is apparent. The quality offenses in the league use that 3rd wr match up to great effect. We have two studs in coles and cotchery but we desperately need a quality 3rd guy.

- playmaking DE or OLB. I don't care which it is but we need a guy that can actually rush the passer on his own. We got pressure on Edwards today alright, by blitzing our CB or 2 backers every play. We must have a disruptive pass rusher.
    I agree that a 3rd WR hurts us, but i'd say the RT position is more of a need than a 3rd WR.

All Pro
    I think Smith is shaping up to be a great 3rd WR. He made some great plays today and should fill that role for us fine.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by SUJets1988 View Post
    I think Smith is shaping up to be a great 3rd WR. He made some great plays today and should fill that role for us fine.
    QFT

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SUJets1988 View Post
    Still haven't seen any evidence that he's a really viable full time, slot quality guy. Maybe he will be next year but we need an upgrade badly in that area.

Undrafted Free Agent
    QB-Not convinced of Clemens yet.
    DE-Somebody who can continously put pressure on the QB and get some sacks.

All League

Beer you had one too many - IF you think we need a WR & a playmaking DE before a NT. I agree on the Guard issues, I have long said that we need FANECA. Equally as important of replacing the LG position is our beed for a NT. We need one BAD.

All Pro
    We need a NT, RT, FB, and a playmaking TE. We need to find out what Kellen has, so we know if we need a qb, or not. But mostly I think we need to upgrade the groin area. Our balls seem to be shrinking week by week. I want to play to win. Grow a pair Mangina.

All League
    1) Offense

2) Defense

3) Special Teams

All Pro
    Still haven't seen any evidence that he's a really viable full time, slot quality guy. Maybe he will be next year but we need an upgrade badly in that area.
    I don't think we need an upgrade there at all really, let alone 'badly'. Smith has great hands, and is athletic as anyone. He's agile and can make plays after the catch. What more do you want from a 3rd WR? This team has a lot more problems than our 3rd WR Fish.

We need a Chrebet type guy over the middle. I pass rushing DE and a great run blocking guard. If we can pick up a solid RT in the 4th I wouldnt be opposed to that.

All Pro

Guards is a must, I have never seen such poor execution in the technique of simple block on passing downs.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by simijet View Post
    1) Offense

2) Defense

3) Special Teams
    1) Offense-ive line

2) Defense-ive line

3) Special players with a nasty attitude

Rookie

got the draft forum and look at my offseason. every single one of those postions is upgraded. im hoping our offseason turn out like my mock

Rookie
    Brad Smith looked like a good 3rd string WR, and Stuckey is supposed to fill that void if Smith can't, so I don't see it as much of an issue. Now everything else you guys listed....

NT, DE, OLB, G, RT

All Pro
    1) NT (I somehow doubt we find a solution to this though)
    2) RT
    3)OG (Either the right or left)

Those are our greatest needs in priority.

Veteran
    I think if we upgrade the right side of the line, whether it be RT or RG (or both), we can release Baker more, and he can be much more of a weapon.

It also occurs to me that we need a huge NT that will take up blockers and not get pushed aside. Obviously this makes the rest of the D's job easier. What seems like a great idea to me is moving DRob to DE and finding a big muther for NT, creating a heavier 3 man front. Only Mangini knows if this would actually work or not.

I think Brad Smith can be that 3rd WR guy. Needs a little more work at it, but I think he can be a real receiving threat in time. He can obviously run and make people miss.

As far as other upgrades, I am so excited for the impending QB change, I cannot tell you. I think (just conjecture at this point) that once Kellen works out the kinks, the whole offense will change. We have had such bad karma for so long as Jets fans that Kellen simply must be good. This sets the stage for a heartbreaking AFC championship loss 3 years from now, which, as Jets fans, we know is inevitable with the "new star QB".

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFAN 40 View Post
    Guards is a must, I have never seen such poor execution in the technique of simple block on passing downs.
    Imagin if we got faneca and smiley

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Voice of Reason View Post
    1) NT (I somehow doubt we find a solution to this though)
    2) RT
    3)OG (Either the right or left)

Those are our greatest needs in priority.
    we have many possibly solutions this offseason to fix the NT problem. Ethan Kelly who has been mentored by ted washington. Grady jackson. or randy starks. either one of those guys would fix the NT problem

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Passrushing OLB and help on the right side of the O-line.Those are our biggest needs.

Make a play for a OG in free agency like Justin Smiley or Stacy Andrews then draft a playmaking passrusher like Gholston or Groves in round 1.