Thread: Mangini needs to read about Vince Lombardi

All Pro

Mangini needs to read about Vince Lombardi

I was just thinking about this. Mangini is too scared right now to go for it on fourth down. He should read about the "Ice Bowl" between the Packers and Cowboys.

16 seconds left, Packers down by 3. Packers at the Dallas 2 yard line. No time outs. Rather than kick a field goal, and go for it in overtime, Lombardi goes for it on the last play of the game.

Win, you are NFL champions and earn the right to kick the crap out of the Raiders. Not just that, but win and you three-peat, 3 NFL titles in a row, something that has not been matched since. Come up short, nothing. No second chance, no title, his last game as a coach, he's a loser.

Lombardi goes for it, Packers score, he secures his place in history.

Fast forward 40 years. Eric Mangini, his team playing for nothing but pride, refuses to go for it on 4th and 3 (whatever it was) against one of the worst teams in the NFL. Eric, I still believe in you, but you need to show your team you believe in them, and not take the cowards way out.

I bring this up because we have a new QB going up against some tough defenses. Eric, don't let your balls shrink into your stomach, and make Kellen play it safe. Let him air it out, if he throws some pics, so be it.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Lombardi? Hold your horses....

Mangeniuz needs to get through the annotated Kotite first. Start at the bottom and work your way up.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Lombardi? Hold your horses....

Mangeniuz needs to get through the annotated Kotite first. Start at the bottom and work your way up.
    I didn't say he needs to be Lombardi, I said he needs to read about him, to see what it's like to be willing to take risks.

Hall Of Fame
    Teams in general should gamble way more often than they do on 4th and short on the other teams side of midfield.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Teams in general should gamble way more often than they do on 4th and short on the other teams side of midfield.
    QFT. Field position when you don't have a dominant defense that can get a 3 and out is meaningless. Possession >>>> Field Position

Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    I was just thinking about this. Mangini is too scared right now to go for it on fourth down. He should read about the "Ice Bowl" between the Packers and Cowboys.

16 seconds left, Packers down by 3. Packers at the Dallas 2 yard line. No time outs. Rather than kick a field goal, and go for it in overtime, Lombardi goes for it on the last play of the game.

Win, you are NFL champions and earn the right to kick the crap out of the Raiders. Not just that, but win and you three-peat, 3 NFL titles in a row, something that has not been matched since. Come up short, nothing. No second chance, no title, his last game as a coach, he's a loser.

Lombardi goes for it, Packers score, he secures his place in history.

Fast forward 40 years. Eric Mangini, his team playing for nothing but pride, refuses to go for it on 4th and 3 (whatever it was) against one of the worst teams in the NFL. Eric, I still believe in you, but you need to show your team you believe in them, and not take the cowards way out.

I bring this up because we have a new QB going up against some tough defenses. Eric, don't let your balls shrink into your stomach, and make Kellen play it safe. Let him air it out, if he throws some pics, so be it.

We have "Killer" Kellen at QB = a new persona for our O

We have "Hitman" Harris at ILB = a new persona for our D

We need "Manster" Mangini leading our Team.

GO FOR IT

J E T S...JETS! JETS!! jETS!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3 View Post
    QFT. Field position when you don't have a dominant defense that can get a 3 and out is meaningless. Possession >>>> Field Position
    Yup, teams like Kentucky are refreshing because they aren't playing "not to lose" Football Outsiders has a good probability article on 4th downs

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    I didn't say he needs to be Lombardi, I said he needs to read about him, to see what it's like to be willing to take risks.
    Like last year in the Bears Game he opens the 2nd half with a onside kick and this Board killed him for taking a unnecessary risk..He was also criticized for going for it on 4th down last year..

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Like last year in the Bears Game he opens the 2nd half with a onside kick and this Board killed him for taking a unnecessary risk..He was also criticized for going for it on 4th down last year..
    What about the onsides kick at the Colts? I remember the Bears game, and I didn't have a problem with it. If you are going to lose, lose taking risks, not hiding in a corner.

Hall Of Fame
    The problem with the field position, dominant defense bit is that there are a couple of assumptions. Teams always seem to assume that by punting from the other teams 35 or 40 yard line that they are going to pin the other team inside the 10. In fact a fair bit of the time we get touch backs. Thus you are giving up potential possession of the ball for a net of 15 or so yards. One completion. Look at the Packers last eve. They were pinned on a couple of occasions and one pass later were out of it.

The second thing is the dominant defense bit. How many teams have a dominant defense?

I'm not saying you'd gamble every single time but teams should have more balls and gamble far more often. The risk reward is high. If you fail the other team has the ball on their 35, buy no means easy scoring position. If you succeed you are in scoring position pretty well guaranteed. If I had a dominant defense I'd gamble all the more often being confident that a team getting the ball at their own 35 is not going to march right down and score.

Hall Of Fame
    Who on this team do you have confidence in in a 4th and 1 yard situation? The answer is nobody. Hence why we're not going for it close to as much this year.

Last year, Barlow and Houston were money in 4th and 1 yard situations. Sure, they sucked at everything else, but they were great at that. This year, they're both gone.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Who on this team do you have confidence in in a 4th and 1 yard situation? The answer is nobody. Hence why we're not going for it close to as much this year.

Last year, Barlow and Houston were money in 4th and 1 yard situations. Sure, they sucked at everything else, but they were great at that. This year, they're both gone.
    Thomas Jones was having one of his best days as a Jet. I'd give it to him.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Lombardi used to run up the score. No class.