Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Down week in college football? Hogwash!

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    8,232

    Down week in college football? Hogwash!

    It's great to see Ohio State lose. Everyone knew they were overrated and Illinois finally made it official. Congrats to the Zooker- who seems to be in the right place at Illinois.

    Congrats to my home boys down in Miss State for taking out Alabama. Derek Pegues with yet another interception. I swear to you all he's the next Reggie Nelson. Croom really has those boys playing hard. It's really tough to put good teams together in Mississippi when the good athletes have trouble getting academically eligible but Croom does the best with what he has.

    I saw only a little of the Michigan-Wisconsin game but Nick Hayden looks like a solid DT to take a chance on in the middle rounds. He was playing 1-tech on Wisconsin 4 man line so he should be able to handle the 2 gap responsibilities in the 3-4, although he doesn't offer much as a pass-rusher.

  2. #2
    Zook is a great coach. The first thing I noticed about Illinois is that they all are extremely proficient at carrying out their assignments.

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    8,232
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Zook is a great coach. The first thing I noticed about Illinois is that they all are extremely proficient at carrying out their assignments.
    As a UF fan, you'll have to excuse me if I disagree with that statement.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    As a UF fan, you'll have to excuse me if I disagree with that statement.
    Well at least they looked like that today.

    It's easy to say what I said when their first penalty comes in the 4th though...but then I ignored how highly penalized they are in general.

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,940
    Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    It's great to see Ohio State lose. Everyone knew they were overrated and Illinois finally made it official. Congrats to the Zooker- who seems to be in the right place at Illinois.

    Congrats to my home boys down in Miss State for taking out Alabama. Derek Pegues with yet another interception. I swear to you all he's the next Reggie Nelson. Croom really has those boys playing hard. It's really tough to put good teams together in Mississippi when the good athletes have trouble getting academically eligible but Croom does the best with what he has.

    I saw only a little of the Michigan-Wisconsin game but Nick Hayden looks like a solid DT to take a chance on in the middle rounds. He was playing 1-tech on Wisconsin 4 man line so he should be able to handle the 2 gap responsibilities in the 3-4, although he doesn't offer much as a pass-rusher.
    Great day in CF. I missed the end of the OU game as I was in the gym.

    Yea Ive been wondering what people thought of Hayden in the nose...

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    8,232
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Well at least they looked like that today.

    It's easy to say what I said when their first penalty comes in the 4th though...but then I ignored how highly penalized they are in general.
    Two things are undeniable about the Zooker

    1)He's one of the best recruiters in college football
    2)He's a players coach- kids come play for him and then go to war for him; a master motivator.

    He was just flat out over his head at UF but Illinois is a great situation for him.

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    8,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Rhodes View Post
    Great day in CF. I missed the end of the OU game as I was in the gym.

    Yea Ive been wondering what people thought of Hayden in the nose...
    I was thinking more end with his size. He doesn't have that squat build that Ellis has which gives me hope that he might be able to develop into a 3-4 NT. But Hayden's like 6'4 305 so he might be a solid guy to look at in the middle rounds for a 3-4 end.

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,940
    Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    I was thinking more end with his size. He doesn't have that squat build that Ellis has which gives me hope that he might be able to develop into a 3-4 NT. But Hayden's like 6'4 305 so he might be a solid guy to look at in the middle rounds for a 3-4 end.

    Im retarded--For some reason I was thinking about Frank Morton who I have not seen play a down of football but I wanted to ask you guys if he could be a NT.

    Yea Hayden has prototype size for 3-4 De..

  9. #9
    All League
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    2,999
    Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    As a UF fan, you'll have to excuse me if I disagree with that statement.
    As a thinking human, you'll have to excuse me as I balk at how bad you guys did Zook dirty.

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    8,232
    Oh, very witty.

    How did we "do him dirty." By UF's standards, he underperformed; thus, he was fired.

  11. #11
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Land of Superior Men
    Posts
    1,542
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Well at least they looked like that today.

    It's easy to say what I said when their first penalty comes in the 4th though...but then I ignored how highly penalized they are in general.
    The only penalty of the game, and no turnovers to boot. I think Zook is starting to prove he has some coaching chops (or at least that his assistants do).

  12. #12
    All League
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    2,999
    Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    Oh, very witty.

    How did we "do him dirty." By UF's standards, he underperformed; thus, he was fired.
    Your standards are insane and they hurt football programs because they encourage frequent turnover. Furthermore, unstable coaching regimes hurt kids. I'm not saying you should be tied to a loser, but ousting a coach who recruited a bunch of terrifying hell spawn after only giving him three years is lunacy.

    Yeah, you can shoot back by saying that since you won a national championship it's all gravy, but that's why I lead by saying that you did Zook dirty.

    When a guy keeps himself free of controversy and works hard, and completes one half of his job (recruiting) with exceptional, near-perfect skill and the other half (winning football games) with skill that is entirely competent by any objective judge and accomplishes impressive milestones that former legends could not (Q: did Spurrier ever get you a win at Tallahassee? A: No, he did not) and you subsequently fire him, well, that's pretty much the definition of doing a guy dirty, isn't it? Then Urban comes to campus and everything's golden. Then when he himself says, "Oh, hey, I only won this with guys recruited by a guy that was chased with pitchforks out of the castle," then everybody laughs, because, man, how ironic is that?! Isn't that a cute sidestory? Gosh, isn't life funny?

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    8,232
    Quote Originally Posted by The Paranoid Jet View Post
    Your standards are insane and they hurt football programs because they encourage frequent turnover. Furthermore, unstable coaching regimes hurt kids. I'm not saying you should be tied to a loser, but ousting a coach who recruited a bunch of terrifying hell spawn after only giving him three years is lunacy.

    Yeah, you can shoot back by saying that since you won a national championship it's all gravy, but that's why I lead by saying that you did Zook dirty.

    When a guy keeps himself free of controversy and works hard, and completes one half of his job (recruiting) with exceptional, near-perfect skill and the other half (winning football games) with skill that is entirely competent by any objective judge and accomplishes impressive milestones that former legends could not (Q: did Spurrier ever get you a win at Tallahassee? A: No, he did not) and you subsequently fire him, well, that's pretty much the definition of doing a guy dirty, isn't it? Then Urban comes to campus and everything's golden. Then when he himself says, "Oh, hey, I only won this with guys recruited by a guy that was chased with pitchforks out of the castle," then everybody laughs, because, man, how ironic is that?! Isn't that a cute sidestory? Gosh, isn't life funny?
    UF's standards are insane? Spurrier met the standards, Meyer is/has met the standards. This is division 1 football. It's about wins. So what if Zook won at Tahlahassee. We also had a losing record vs our rivals, did not go to any BCS bowl games, we did not win a SEC championship, and di not win a national title. Yes, he was a good recruiter- but he couldn't handle the pressure at Florida.

    Even when Zook had his guys he couldn't win. What's so great about being a good recruiter if you don't mold those recruit sinto a championship team like Urban Meyer did.

    Obviouly this is a touchy situation for you- for some reason- but that's football at the University of Florida. I wish Zook the best at Illinois but he didn't get the job done at Florida.

    That's a fact.

  14. #14
    All League
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    2,999
    Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    UF's standards are insane? Spurrier met the standards, Meyer is/has met the standards. This is division 1 football. It's about wins. So what if Zook won at Tahlahassee. We also had a losing record vs our rivals, did not go to any BCS bowl games, we did not win a SEC championship, and di not win a national title. Yes, he was a good recruiter- but he couldn't handle the pressure at Florida.

    Even when Zook had his guys he couldn't win. What's so great about being a good recruiter if you don't mold those recruit sinto a championship team like Urban Meyer did.

    Obviouly this is a touchy situation for you- for some reason- but that's football at the University of Florida. I wish Zook the best at Illinois but he didn't get the job done at Florida.

    That's a fact.
    It's a touchy subject for me simply because I'm not a fan of emotional football decisions. I think they plague both college and pro football and when I see them it makes me want to die. What's worse is that when emotional football decision appears to succeed, it makes the yank look like it was a decision made with integrity.

    Here's my assertion, impossible to be proven: teams will be rewarded with giving guys time. There's a period of evaluation to be certain, but before that time's up you need to let it play out.

    Here's my question for you: the SEC is the most competitive conference in football, right? So why do you guys find it unreasonable to finish strongly without winning a conference championship?

    It's not about settling, it's about perspective.

  15. #15
    All League
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    2,999
    BUUUUUUT I don't want this discussion to come at the expense of actual prospect/draft talk. Hayden sure did have a monstrous day. Do you know what sort of numbers he's expected to combine out at? He looked like a frickin ox out there against the middle of the (admittedly streaky) Michigan line.

  16. #16
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    4,960
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Zook is a great coach. The first thing I noticed about Illinois is that they all are extremely proficient at carrying out their assignments.
    I never thought I'd hear someone say that. Zook is a hell of a recruiter I'll say that, but a great coach, far from it. He's actually widely considered one of the worst, if not the worst, sideline coaches in the Big Ten.

  17. #17
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    4,960
    Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    UF's standards are insane? Spurrier met the standards, Meyer is/has met the standards. This is division 1 football. It's about wins. So what if Zook won at Tahlahassee. We also had a losing record vs our rivals, did not go to any BCS bowl games, we did not win a SEC championship, and di not win a national title. Yes, he was a good recruiter- but he couldn't handle the pressure at Florida.

    Even when Zook had his guys he couldn't win. What's so great about being a good recruiter if you don't mold those recruit sinto a championship team like Urban Meyer did.

    Obviouly this is a touchy situation for you- for some reason- but that's football at the University of Florida. I wish Zook the best at Illinois but he didn't get the job done at Florida.

    That's a fact.

    More like Spurrier set the standard, Florida wasn't exactly a dynamo program before he got there. And yes Meyer has lived up to expectations so far, some of the credit for last year has to go to Zook for getting some of those kids there.

  18. #18
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,468
    How bout some love for UMD???

    Maryland 42, #8 Boston College 35

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=DvC9nyqm3To

  19. #19
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    8,232
    Quote Originally Posted by The Paranoid Jet View Post
    It's a touchy subject for me simply because I'm not a fan of emotional football decisions. I think they plague both college and pro football and when I see them it makes me want to die. What's worse is that when emotional football decision appears to succeed, it makes the yank look like it was a decision made with integrity.

    Here's my assertion, impossible to be proven: teams will be rewarded with giving guys time. There's a period of evaluation to be certain, but before that time's up you need to let it play out.

    Here's my question for you: the SEC is the most competitive conference in football, right? So why do you guys find it unreasonable to finish strongly without winning a conference championship?

    It's not about settling, it's about perspective.
    How did the Gators finish strongly? It wasn't an emotional decision, Zook simply did not win the program's standards.

    We had a losing record in rivalry games, "lost" the Swamp, did not go to a BCS bowl game, and din't wi n an SEC or National Championship. Yes, UF is a demanding place to coach, but there are coaches who have handled/can handle it. Zook is in the right spot now- there's a lot less pressure at Illinois and his ability to recruit is seen more on the field in a conference with lesser athletes

    I wish Zook the best, he's in a great situation. But he didn't get it done at the University of Florida. Urban Meyer is.

  20. #20
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    RE: Zook

    the guy made calls this saturday that he wouldn't or couldn't make as the coach of Florida.

    so in a sense you are both right - GGI is right he wasn't good enough for FLA at the time and iahawkeye is right maybe he is now a great coach.

    he always was a good recruiter, now it can be argued he has some game day logic to go with that.

    sometimes it is an evolution for a coach and maybe zook has evolved.

    the fear for the future is that Illinois loses the high character walk-on types like J Leman that hold the team together and become another crew of soul-less 5 star recruits who can't play as a team (see Virginia tech)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us