Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can the Jets braintrust SCHEME there way through the rest of the season?

Hall Of Fame

Can the Jets braintrust SCHEME there way through the rest of the season?

It was all SCHEME last Sunday.

I have NO DOUBT in my mind that when it comes to comparing player for player, Jets to Steelers, we are OUTMATCHED.

If both teams had decided prior to the game that there wouldn't be any scheming, just lining up and playing football, then the Jets would have been KILLED on Sunday. Not even close. We are talking about 27-3 or something ridiculous like that.

Instead, the Jets defense gave Ben so many different looks designed to do nothing but confuse.

Because they were getting so much pressure on Ben was why the WHOLE defense worked as a whole. The secondary didn't need to hold there coverage nearly as long as they had in past games this season. (Not using that as an excuse though, the secondary did play at a very high level on Sunday.)

This all went to the Jets overall PLAN in beating the Steelers.

But when dollars comes down to donuts, our roster is entirely OVER MATCHED on a weekly basis. Honestly, the only teams (on our schedule) I think you could compare talent wise to the Jets is the Dolphins and the Bengals. The Bengals may be stretching it just a bit.

So the real question is, can they SCHEME, and WIN, the MAJORITY of there remaining 6 games?

Can the Jets coaches be creative and ingenius enough to overcome combinations like Romo to Owens or/and Brady to Moss? Can they do what is necessary for keep those respective offenses in check for 4 quarters?

Honestly, IMO, it would be EASIER for the Jets defense to keep talented offenses in check.

Much easier than relying on our young, inexperienced QB and terrible offensive line to OUTSCORE an opponent.

When it comes to lining up defenses you can always try to present a look where the offensive line is confused about WHO they are assigned to block. The offense NEVER knows who from the secondary may be blitzing. They never know if that guy on the outside is going to come straight in after the QB or drop back in coverage?

That is all generated by creating confusion and indecision by the QB when he's barking out the snap count.

If the QB is confused when he's at the line of scrimmage and ready to snap the ball, USUALLY bad things are about to happen.

So can the Jets do it for the REST of the season?

I am completely confident in saying there's NO WAY they can. I have no doubt in my mind.

When you consider the Jets coaching staff KNEW they were completely outmatched early on in the season. At that point, is when the great scheming should have taken over.

So, really, the Jets haven't been able to anything successful with there scheming the first half of the season.

Well, last Sunday was quite the opposite.

Can they continue the trend for the rest of the season and at least present a BETTER showing than the team did in the first half?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post

I have NO DOUBT in my mind that when it comes to comparing player for player, Jets to Steelers, we are OUTMATCHED.

your argument falls apart at line 3

the talent level difference between the Jets and Steelers was essentially not much at all.

the difference between these franchises are good breaks and momentum, not roster talent.

this is life in the NFL, there are no teams who can just line up and run another team off the field on pure talent alone, not even the Pats.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    your argument falls apart at line 3

the talent level difference between the Jets and Steelers was essentially not much at all.

the difference between these franchises are good breaks and momentum, not roster talent.

this is life in the NFL, there are no teams who can just line up and run another team off the field on pure talent alone, not even the Pats.

I disagree with this 100%.

The Colts, Steelers, Cowboys, and Patriots ALL could run teams off the field assuming the other teams did not do any scheming.

For weaker teams (like the Jets are), it's the ONLY neutralizing factor.........

Banned
    I disagree with this 100%.

The Colts, Steelers, Cowboys, and Patriots ALL could run teams off the field assuming the other teams did not do any scheming.

For weaker teams (like the Jets are), it's the ONLY neutralizing factor.........
    You couldn't be more wrong.

This is not college football, where an LSU can blow out Central Michigan on talent alone. This is the NFL. The talent level across the board is ridiculously close.

Are the Pats more talented than the Jets? Yes. Are they more talented by an unbelievable large margin so as BB can get away with winning that game with no game plan? Hell no.

As far as the Steelers are concerned, they are not realy much more talented than the Jets if at all. Your perception is that they are more talented because their players get more media coverage due to their success.

Undrafted Free Agent
    But when dollars comes down to donuts, our roster is entirely OVER MATCHED on a weekly basis. Honestly, the only teams (on our schedule) I think you could compare talent wise to the Jets is the Dolphins and the Bengals. The Bengals may be stretching it just a bit.

The NFL is all about parity. Any team can come in and beat any other on a weekly basis. Some have more superstars (Pats, Colts, and even the Bungals who you list as have less talent then us), but this is still a team game, and when you have parity across the board anything can happen.

Scheming coming off the bye certainly helped us. We have no reason to think that some more tweaks can continue to confuse opponents. We played the PATS pretty well for 2.5 quarters earlier this year, which is more than I can say for the Cowboys. If we pressure Romo, play TIGHT coverage in the secondary (which looked AWESOME this past Sunday), and mix things up up-front, we COULD be OK. It is not like we have not been in MOST of the games we played this year. It is closing the door that has been the problem. Personally, I think it is amazing that we could put up some points against one of the top defenses in the league, let alone run over 100 yards against them. On top of that we stopped a TOP offense!

You don't think a team gets confidence from winning? I think you forget that factor when you worry about JUST the scheming week to week.

Fitz

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Quote Originally Posted by Klecko73isGod View Post
    You couldn't be more wrong.

This is not college football, where an LSU can blow out Central Michigan on talent alone. This is the NFL. The talent level across the board is ridiculously close.

Are the Pats more talented than the Jets? Yes. Are they more talented by an unbelievable large margin so as BB can get away with winning that game with no game plan? Hell no.

As far as the Steelers are concerned, they are not realy much more talented than the Jets if at all. Your perception is that they are more talented because their players get more media coverage due to their success.
    Agreed. This league imo has more to do with coaching and QB play then anything else. Talent elsewhere is important and definitely gives you an advantage, but I don't believe the discrepancy is as big as people make it out to be in most cases. These are all NFL players

Look at the 49'ers, they added a bunch of talent in the offseason and are way worse now then last year. A big reason being that Turner left and Smith has taken a huge step back..

Or look at Turner in Sd. Norv and Big teddy come in, schott and phillips out, and suddenly that uber talented roster is grossly underperforming

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by CTM View Post
    Agreed. This league imo has more to do with coaching and QB play then anything else. Talent elsewhere is important and definitely gives you an advantage, but I don't believe the discrepancy is as big as people make it out to be in most cases. These are all NFL players

Look at the 49'ers, they added a bunch of talent in the offseason and are way worse now then last year. A big reason being that Turner left and Smith has taken a huge step back..

Or look at Turner in Sd. Norv and Big teddy come in, schott and phillips out, and suddenly that uber talented roster is grossly underperforming
    Agreed, but I would still say we're closer to the bottom of the league in terms of talent, which is a big part of the reason we've struggled.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Agreed, but I would still say we're closer to the bottom of the league in terms of talent, which is a big part of the reason we've struggled.
    as far as pure talent is concerned you are absolutely right. we do not have any "superstars" on our team and all good teams have at least 1. there is someone who can change that. his first initial is D, and his last name is Mcafdden

Banned
    Btw, it should read THEIR way through the season.

Man. Sometimes the English on here is abysmal.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Blocker View Post

High five. You're awesome.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Blocker View Post

well said professor.

Hall Of Fame
    Elite teams don't scheme their way to victory, they have great talent and they execute better than the opponents with equal talent. The day the Jets don't need to scheme to win is the day we have a team that isn't a pretender. I would prefer the young talent to grow and be tought the fine points of the game and take their licks rather than a team that is a shade better than mediocre that contends for a 9 & 7, 10 & 6 wild card spot. Great teams can give their plays to their opponents and can still execute it.

Banned
    I would be VERY unhappy if we could scheme our way through the rest of the season...

WHY?

Because that would beg the question, where the hell was this the first 9 weeks?

Banned
    As far as teams being of equal talent, I think that's complete crap...

22 starters per team...

Are there 11 starters on the Jets you'd take over 11 guys on the Patriots, the Colts, the Steelers?

I think you'd be hard pressed to do that.

Hall Of Fame

Lightbulb

my only question is what kind of donuts are we talking here?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by EricYellin View Post
    As far as teams being of equal talent, I think that's complete crap...

22 starters per team...

Are there 11 starters on the Jets you'd take over 11 guys on the Patriots, the Colts, the Steelers?

I think you'd be hard pressed to do that.

Talking sence here.

DID THE JETS SEND YOU AN EMAIL ON YOUR OPEN LETTER TO THAM A COUPLE MONTHS BACK?

Banned

If both teams had decided prior to the game that there wouldn't be any scheming, just lining up and playing football, then the Jets would have been KILLED on Sunday. Not even close. We are talking about 27-3 or something ridiculous like that.

Instead, the Jets defense gave Ben so many different looks designed to do nothing but confuse.

Because they were getting so much pressure on Ben was why the WHOLE defense worked as a whole. The secondary didn't need to hold there coverage nearly as long as they had in past games this season. (Not using that as an excuse though, the secondary did play at a very high level on Sunday.)

This all went to the Jets overall PLAN in beating the Steelers.

So the real question is, can they SCHEME, and WIN, the MAJORITY of there remaining 6 games?

Can the Jets coaches be creative and ingenius enough to overcome combinations like Romo to Owens or/and Brady to Moss? Can they do what is necessary for keep those respective offenses in check for 4 quarters?

Honestly, IMO, it would be EASIER for the Jets defense to keep talented offenses in check.

Much easier than relying on our young, inexperienced QB and terrible offensive line to OUTSCORE an opponent.

When it comes to lining up defenses you can always try to present a look where the offensive line is confused about WHO they are assigned to block. The offense NEVER knows who from the secondary may be blitzing. They never know if that guy on the outside is going to come straight in after the QB or drop back in coverage?

That is all generated by creating confusion and indecision by the QB when he's barking out the snap count.

If the QB is confused when he's at the line of scrimmage and ready to snap the ball, USUALLY bad things are about to happen.

So can the Jets do it for the REST of the season?

I am completely confident in saying there's NO WAY they can. I have no doubt in my mind.

When you consider the Jets coaching staff KNEW they were completely outmatched early on in the season. At that point, is when the great scheming should have taken over.

So, really, the Jets haven't been able to anything successful with there scheming the first half of the season.

Well, last Sunday was quite the opposite.

Can they continue the trend for the rest of the season and at least present a BETTER showing than the team did in the first half?
    Your threads confuse me more then any other poster on this board. You are always all over the place and your threads are always filled with contradictions.

Are you asking us if we can SCHEME wins out or are you telling us we cant?

Are we talentless or are we a poorly coached team?

Its more likely that we can stop the best offensive teams in the league but we cant out score them...however, we are talentless...that makes no sense.

You always talk about how bad we are defensively...but now you think we can stop the best offenses in the league...

stay consistent dude...cause you are all over the place.

Rookie
    If you pick the 22 best players in the league and put them on a field with no coaching, you will have 22 guys that can catch, run, and tackle better than anyone else. You won't have a team defense or a team offense though. The sum of the parts is only greater than the whole if you've got good coaching. Nuff said.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JiF View Post
    Your threads confuse me more then any other poster on this board. You are always all over the place and your threads are always filled with contradictions.

Are you asking us if we can SCHEME wins out or are you telling us we cant?

Are we talentless or are we a poorly coached team?

Its more likely that we can stop the best offensive teams in the league but we cant out score them...however, we are talentless...that makes no sense.

You always talk about how bad we are defensively...but now you think we can stop the best offenses in the league...

stay consistent dude...cause you are all over the place.
    bottom line....the jets still are not a good football team

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NoExcusesNYJ View Post
    bottom line....the jets still are not a good football team
    Never said they were.

But, when you read this guys thread and posts...you cant figure out what he think.

1 week we suck and CS/FO is the worst. The next week we are brilliant.

1 week our talent is horrible...the worst in the league. The next week its our CS/FO and our talent is great.

I think we stink. We have a lot of needs, but I am not as extreme as others.

I knew who we were prior to the season and havent changed my stance yet.