Thread: " Despite struggles, Jets sticking with QB Clemens for '07 and beyond " ~ ~ ~

Hall Of Fame

Arrow " Despite struggles, Jets sticking with QB Clemens for '07 and beyond " ~ ~ ~

Home > The Way We Hear It

~ ~ ~ NY Jets
    Nov. 28, 2007

Despite struggles, Jets sticking with QB Clemens for '07 and beyond

So far, the Kellen Clemens experiment for the Jets is off to a resounding thud. In his four games since replacing Chad Pennington at quarterback — three of which he started — Clemens has tossed four interceptions and just two touchdowns and has completed more the 50 percent of his passes just once. But we hear that there’s no chance Pennington reclaims the starting job and that Clemens is almost certainly going to keep the job next season as well. As far as 2007 is concerned, at this point, there’s no reason to go back to Pennington. For all intents and purposes, the season is over, so the most important thing for the coaching staff to do is assess the roster to see what needs to be added in the offseason. The coaches know what they have with Pennington, and Clemens is still largely an unknown. We hear that the Jets are also a little more lenient with Clemens due to a porous offensive line that has provided him with precious little protection. It’s still early, but Jets sources tell us they’ll make a strong play this offseason for Steelers star OG Alan Faneca, who is due to become a free agent, as the Adrien Clarke-Will Montgomery tandem at the OLG spot has failed miserably

> http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...It/default.htm

Banned

The final blow to the failed religion that was Penningtonology.

Hall Of Fame
    Fantastic bye bye love bye bye chaddy boy i think im gonna cry goodbye chaddy boy good bye

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Sign OG Faneca, draft a stud Defensive lineman or LB and we will have done much to improve right off the bat this offseason. No reason to draft a QB in the 2008 draft in my opinion.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post

~ ~ ~ NY Jets
    Nov. 28, 2007

So far, the Kellen Clemens experiment for the Jets is off to a resounding thud. In his four games since replacing Chad Pennington at quarterback — three of which he started — Clemens has tossed four interceptions and just two touchdowns and has completed more the 50 percent of his passes just once. But we hear that there’s no chance Pennington reclaims the starting job and that Clemens is almost certainly going to keep the job next season as well. As far as 2007 is concerned, at this point, there’s no reason to go back to Pennington. For all intents and purposes, the season is over, so the most important thing for the coaching staff to do is assess the roster to see what needs to be added in the offseason. The coaches know what they have with Pennington, and Clemens is still largely an unknown. We hear that the Jets are also a little more lenient with Clemens due to a porous offensive line that has provided him with precious little protection. It’s still early, but Jets sources tell us they’ll make a strong play this offseason for Steelers star OG Alan Faneca, who is due to become a free agent, as the Adrien Clarke-Will Montgomery tandem at the OLG spot has failed miserably

I hate people that try to mis-use stats for their favor.

He has started 4 games first off--Remember Baltimore? That didnt count?

Then to try to make him look worse they made sure to include when he came in at the end of the Buffalo game. The guy played for 2 minutes, and threw 2 picks. In the other 240 minutes hes played as a starter hes had 2 picks.

I actually no longer want Faneca. Id rather spend less on a guy thats play is only going to get better, and will be here for the long haul. Ideally if we get two guys and sign them to 5-6 year deals(Stacu Andrews + Jordan Gross) Our Oline will be the same for the next 5 years or so---Thats a huge factor to sucess.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Rhodes View Post
    I hate people that try to mis-use stats for their favor.

He has started 4 games first off--Remember Baltimore? That didnt count?

Then to try to make him look worse they made sure to include when he came in at the end of the Buffalo game. The guy played for 2 minutes, and threw 2 picks. In the other 240 minutes hes played as a starter hes had 2 picks.

I actually no longer want Faneca. Id rather spend less on a guy thats play is only going to get better, and will be here for the long haul. Ideally if we get two guys and sign them to 5-6 year deals(Stacu Andrews + Jordan Gross) Our Oline will be the same for the next 5 years or so---Thats a huge factor to sucess.
    agreed, no quick fix, we need to build and offensive line that will be good and yet develop as clemens does that way in about 2 years all the parts can fall into place, on both sides of the ball, and we can be a perennial threat

Veteran
    They also don't mention the dropped TD passes.

McCarriens twice v Baltimore
    Smith v Pittsburg twice (once really his fault)
    Smith TD in Dallas

And just moving the chains - 3 consecutive balls v Dallas to Baker, Cotch abd MccARRIENS IN THE 3RD QTR - would have covered 55 yards.
    He has no support - I;m actually happy he's taken as few sacks as he has considering. Those balls he's overthrown while under duress, they could have been sacks!

All League
    he has looked better than those stats indicate plus he has played against some of the top defenses in the NFL with one of the worst offensive lines. i do think he needs to put up a good game against miami, clevleand or kc.

All League
    actually no longer want Faneca. Id rather spend less on a guy thats play is only going to get better, and will be here for the long haul. Ideally if we get two guys and sign them to 5-6 year deals(Stacu Andrews + Jordan Gross) Our Oline will be the same for the next 5 years or so---Thats a huge factor to sucess.
    Agreed, KR. Faneca is a great player, but at his age, is he really worth it? Is getting 1-2 years out of Faneca better than getting 4-6 out of Justin Smiley or potentially 8-10 out of a draft pick? I dunno. Like I said, Faneca is great, but he's not getting any younger, he'll be demanding a ton of money, and he actually looks like he's taken a couple steps back this season.

This could very well be a smokescreen...I mean, we're going to replace one mouthy, aging LG with another one? Obviously Faneca is a big upgrade over Kendall, but still, at his age, it doesn't make much sense to me--and he's way too expensive to be a stopgap.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post

~ ~ ~ NY Jets
    Nov. 28, 2007

I disagree with the resounding "thud" part. He played good enough for us to win against Balt, Wash and won at Pittsburgh and then, along with the rest of the offense laid an egg in Dallas. For a first time starter that is respectable if not decent. With 10 days to prepare and finally going against a middle of the pack defense we will learn a lot about Clemens this Sunday.

All League
    Resounding thud my a**. What a joke. Do these clowns even watch the games or do they just look at stat sheets?

All Pro
    The finale blow to the most overhyped QB in Jet history. The guy made a career and plenty of money off 12 games in 2002.

Undrafted Free Agent
    thank god the coaching staff isn't as fickle as some of you guys

agreed on Faneca, we want young building blocks, get S. Andrews and Otah, and we'll be in great shape

I think that should be the approach which is kind of why I thought the Jets should have been involved for a few of the guys last season once the market dictated the kind of money the players would be making. If they come at a big cost savings this year then they smartly waited, but if not I think they kind of missed the boat. I like the thought of Gross on the team. Isnt Andrews really tall? Im starting to get a little concerned about Clemens seeing over these big guys. I still dont understand why the Jets redid Brandon Moores deal. Hes so bad. The Jets have the worst starting right side in the NFL and they want Moore here for a few more years? Why?

All League
    Ideally if we get two guys and sign them to 5-6 year deals(Stacu Andrews + Jordan Gross) Our Oline will be the same for the next 5 years or so---Thats a huge factor to sucess.
    Yes I agree...long term fix, but finding the guys who you THINK will be GOOD, and then actually turning out to be GOOD....well that's the trick. Anyone have a crystal ball?

Now if we could just HIJACK two (leftside/rightside) great 2nd/3rd yr offensive lineman who have already earned thier reps, I'd like this. (wishlist, never happen)

Hall Of Fame
    Good to hear for Clemens. Give him a chance to show what he can do.

As for Faneca, I feel that that would be a poor investment. History has shown that the Steelers only tend to let go of players they feel are on the decline. Stay away. Joey Porter worked out great for Miami eh?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    As for Faneca, I feel that that would be a poor investment. History has shown that the Steelers only tend to let go of players they feel are on the decline. Stay away. Joey Porter worked out great for Miami eh?
    Agreed, last time we signed an aging Steeler, it turned into the Kimo VonOldhoffen disaster.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Good to hear for Clemens. Give him a chance to show what he can do.

Good points.. They have had a bunch of LB's that were unreal for them and signed huge deals with other teams and never did squat.