Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jets release Darian Barnes (other Transactions)

Veteran

Jets release Darian Barnes (other Transactions)

11/28 One significant piece of housekeeping announced by Eric Mangini at the top of today's news conference is the release of FB Darian Barnes. The Jets signed Barnes in the off-season as an unrestricted free agent to be a big bopper in leading Thomas Jones in the running game.

But that hadn't worked out. Barnes wasn't playing on every down on offense, didn't play special teams, and as a result he was inactive for six of the Jets' 11 games this season, including the last four in a row.

"If you're not contributing on a regular basis," Mangini said, "that makes it hard to be active consistently."

No early word on if the Dolphins, hosting the Jets on Sunday, are reaching out to sign Barnes, who played the previous two seasons with Miami.

With backup fullback Stacy Tutt on injured reserve, the Jets have been using their tight ends when they want a big body in front of Jones. Joe Kowalewski got his first pro start vs. Pittsburgh at FB and both Joe-Ko and Jason Pociask lined up or motioned to FB at Dallas.

Mangini also announced a practice-squad switch, releasing CB Manny Collins and signing David Ball no, not D-lineman Dave Ball, who was with the Jets in 2005-06, but the rookie free agent WR from New Hampshire who had been with the Chicago Bears into the regular season.

The head coach staretd his news conference off with a reference to Washington safety Sean Taylor, who died Tuesday of a gunshot wound during a burglary at his home.

"It's sad when these things happen," Mangini said. "Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and the Redskins organization."
    Alot of us where very high on David Ball (I even drafted him in the JI Mock Draft )
    And yes hes the guy who broke Jerry Rice's record for most TD's during his college career.
    I know some of you may say that he stinks, cause he got cut by the Bears, but I still think/hope he can survive in the NFL as a slot receiver...

I also love the fact, that Kowalewski and Pociask get their chance to prove that they are very good H-Backs (like Cooley)....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ikey...eature=related

Practice Squad
    SIGN THE BEAST!

for short money....

oh wait we did

one game later.... (drops a crucial pass against miami)

hes the worst reciever ever! hes worse than mccairens... blah blah blah

Hall Of Fame
    Considering how many times he was active, he was a waste of a roster spot. Spring cleaning already.

After Rashad Washington, guys in the locker room should be checking themselves.

I was a huge Dave Ball fan and wanted the Jets to take a 7th round flyer (or at least give him an UDFA invite). I love his athleticism and productivity. He was a 7 foot high jumper in either high school or college. That's impressive! I'm glad the team is giving a chance to a small school kid.

Oh yea, Darian Barnes really sucked. I had high hopes for him when he came on the team. I thought he'd lead the way for Thomas Jones. But that's hard to do when you're inactive.

All Pro
    100 bucks we resign Manny Collins to the PS again by the end of next week...and then cut him

JetsInsider.com Legend
    lol, the Manny Collins saga continues...I wonder iffin he gets as far as Hempstead turnpike before they send a lackey out to call him back to re-sign him this afternoon?

Veteran
    Atleast they are signing at a position of need. Ball is now easily our 3rd best wide receiver when you consider that Smith is not a WR at all.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    The Toms River Terror!

RIP Darian.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    100 bucks we resign Manny Collins to the PS again by the end of next week...and then cut him
    lol

Sucks about Barnes. I had some high hopes for him.

Glad to see Mangini still isn't scared to get rid of players.

All Pro
    That (non)catch was pretty impressive!

Any insight as to why the Bears cut him?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    lol, the Manny Collins saga continues...I wonder iffin he gets as far as Hempstead turnpike before they send a lackey out to call him back to re-sign him this afternoon?
    This has to be some sort of hazing.

"Hey Manny come over here......just kidding.....No wait!!!!! I'm sorry. You're on the team...seriously...."

"Really?"

"No!!! hahahaha"

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by LB54 View Post
    Alot of us where very high on David Ball (I even drafted him in the JI Mock Draft )
    And yes hes the guy who broke Jerry Rice's record for most TD's during his college career.
    I know some of you may say that he stinks, cause he got cut by the Bears, but I still think/hope he can survive in the NFL as a slot receiver...

I also love the fact, that Kowalewski and Pociask get their chance to prove that they are very good H-Backs (like Cooley)....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ikey...eature=related
    Wait a minute. I don't know much about WR David Ball but your highlight of his skills is an incompletion?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    This has to be some sort of hazing.

"Hey Manny come over here......just kidding.....No wait!!!!! I'm sorry. You're on the team...seriously...."

"Really?"

"No!!! hahahaha"
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Jetsound View Post
    Atleast they are signing at a position of need. Ball is now easily our 3rd best wide receiver when you consider that Smith is not a WR at all.
    so now we have 3 wr on the practice squad

manny collins cut again

1 spot on the active roster open wonder what we will do with it

what if we sign many collins to the active roster
    Last edited by jetsrule128; 11-28-2007 at 01:47 PM.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Wait a minute. I don't know much about WR David Ball but your highlight of his skills is an incompletion?
    See the related Videos of Ball on the right side on Youtube. You'll see some other impressive catches/plays. But that catch was just the one I thought I'll put up...

Hall Of Fame
    if the dolphins sign barnes, and then the dolfags seems to know what's coming, tannenbaum will be unmercifully trashed by the tabloids, rightfully so

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by samwise View Post
    if the dolphins sign barnes, and then the dolfags seems to know what's coming, tannenbaum will be unmercifully trashed by the tabloids, rightfully so
    Good point.

why did we not keep barnes until we found a replacement

that is what i do not get

now we give miami the oppurtunity to sign him while we have a open spot

All Pro
    David Ball and David Clowney will tear up the league next year. Defensive backs beware!

Can we now finally promote Danny Ware. The kid looked good enough to make the team during pre-season. Good size and he can catch the ball.