Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Criticism of Revis

Veteran

Criticism of Revis

I would love to hear someone try to point any blame on darrelle revis for this game. Any takers?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Braylon Edwards is amazing, 3rd best WR in the league right now.

All League
    dickkotite did, but didn't really give a valid reason

All Pro
    Keeper

Quote Originally Posted by genom View Post
    I would love to hear someone try to point any blame on darrelle revis for this game. Any takers?
    I didn't think he played so poorly. I even thought he played pretty well at times and was the victim of great catches on his side.

For example, on our pass to Baker in the endzone, the commentators were praising the Browns CB for sticking his arm in between the receivers hands, which was not Pass interference, but simply "the way they teach defense." Revis did the same thing but the WR was able to make a great play.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Crusher View Post
    Keeper

Dude Who is that girl with the perfect RumpRoast??????

Veteran
    Revis held him to 3 catches all game. Only once was he held to less catches than that, and only three times was Edwards held to less yards. Also, two of those catches Revis had excellent coverage and was within inches of the ball. Solid game from our future pro bowler, my only gripe is he really should have intercepted that ball that went through his hands. With a better pass rush Revis will become spectacular.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by RutgersJetFan View Post
    Braylon Edwards is amazing, 3rd best WR in the league right now.
    The play to convert 4th down on the sideline and the play off Revis's shoulderpad made me wish we had a #1 WR like that. I mean, I love Coles, but how many years left in the tank does he have?

Veteran
    In terms of his lack of awareness when his back is to the quarterback 1 on 1, yes he often just misses out on defending a pass. He can improve on this. However, i highly disagree with you about his consistency in regards to his general technique. It is as close to flawless coming from a first year cornerback as you can find. His back pedal and jam at the line are fantastic. His hips are also very fluid which allows him to change direction and make breaks on passes very quickly.

Hall Of Fame
    In terms of his lack of awareness when his back is to the quarterback 1 on 1, yes he often just misses out on defending a pass. He can improve on this. However, i highly disagree with you about his lack of general technique. It is as close to flawless coming from a first year cornerback as you can find. His back pedal and jam at the line are fantastic. His hips are also very fluid which allows him to change direction and make breaks on passes very quickly.
    no where in that thread do i criticize the bolded. You are like the first person to agree with the unbolded...

Hall Of Fame
    unbeliveable. lets make this easy: lets re-visit this topic in 4 years. yes, 4 years. then, you , as all the bashers who got on me for pointing out that drob looked bad 4 yers ago, can also deny me.

btw, the wr isnt as good as youclaim. its a defense mechanism. (i.e. revis did pretty well considering mr. x)

All Pro
    Im happy with Revis, VERY HAPPY.

He gave up just 3 catches to one of the best WR's in football.

People just need to complain about somthing. I wish we had more players like him. Hes starting to get national recognition, and is going to best one of the CB's in football in a year or two.

Veteran
    Dick, wonderful argument i'm convinced. Vader, I just don't see the inconsistency with his technique that you claimed in that thread.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Yes, the old "stop the WR from making an amazing catch off your shoulder pad" move definitely needs tweaking.

Hall Of Fame
    Dick, wonderful argument i'm convinced. Vader, I just don't see the inconsistency with his technique that you claimed in that thread.
    patience is a virtue my friend

Undrafted Free Agent
    Was at the game and was watching Revis a lot (with the outcome of the game not having real importance I like to watch players/matchups). He is already a very good CB. He is physical and quick. He was stride for stride with his man all day long.

There is not doubt that the coaches emphasized getting the ball to Edwards after the half and that is why they started throwing balls his way despite excellant coverage. Revis continued to cover well and did an adequate job playing the ball, but a WR always had an advantage and Edwards is a top WR. Great adjustment on Cleveland's behalf.

Jets Voice of Reason echoed my feelings excatly. Edwards showed every Jets fan why WR has become a position of need. Over the last 5+ years the League has become a QB-WR league. Outside of Steve Smith and Marvin Harrison, the best WR are all 6'2"+ and run 4.4/4.5. I don't think there is one available in the draft this year, but i hope we can find one shortly.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by RutgersJetFan View Post
    Yes, the old "stop the WR from making an amazing catch off your shoulder pad" move definitely needs tweaking.
    where was his freaking head when the ball was on his shoulder?

Rookie
    I am a really big Revis fan. He always seems to be stride for stride with the man he is defending. His natural athletic ability is evident at all times. My only gripe with him is that he always seems to turn his head around very late, he has trouble recognizing when the ball is in the air. Generally this is not a big issue, because 99% of the time he is literally blanketing the receiver. It is an issue on fade patterns as shown on the 4th down conversion, and the Edwards TD. Granted, Edwards has been a monster this year, but this is an aspect of his game he must correct, and I am sure he will in due time. Revis has the makings of a top 5 shutdown corner, and already is far and away the best one we have on our team.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Keyman View Post
    Jets Voice of Reason echoed my feelings excatly. Edwards showed every Jets fan why WR has become a position of need. Over the last 5+ years the League has become a QB-WR league. Outside of Steve Smith and Marvin Harrison, the best WR are all 6'2"+ and run 4.4/4.5. I don't think there is one available in the draft this year, but i hope we can find one shortly.

Bryant Johnson, UFA, Arizona Cardinals. 6'3", 216lbs, former 1st round pick out of Penn St. I can't find his 40 time but he was a track star in high school.

Last Sunday:

The week before to set up the winning FG