Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

Thread: The Pats are in pretty bad cap shape.....

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,940

    The Pats are in pretty bad cap shape.....

    This is probably the last time you see the Pats look the way they do.

    They have only 15m available next offseason once Stallworth is cut, and ALOT of their players are free agents(Randy Moss, Asante, Bruschi, Vrabel).

    Theres goin got be alot of changes in NE--and the major one is Randy Moss. Do you guys want him Franchised or Signing a long extension? Id rather him get some monster contract....

    Btw--The Pats getting the number 2 pik in the draft could not come at a worse time. Thats a 50m dollar contract with atleast 25m gaurenteed....

  2. #2
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Rockland, New York
    Posts
    5,359
    That kinda cheers me up. Kinda. In all honesty, i feel like we just need to wait for Brady and Belichek to leave.

  3. #3
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Floral Park, NY
    Posts
    2,949
    most likely they'll trade that pick for some later 1st rounder and more picks....

  4. #4
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,149
    I was looking at this the other night. I remember what the cap started and it destroyed the Giants. They had a great team and lost most of it to FA because they couldn't afford to keep them.

  5. #5
    Is this the fourth or fifth season in a row that this was posted by some knowledgeable Jets poster?

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,940
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFan1 View Post
    Is this the fourth or fifth season in a row that this was posted by some knowledgeable Jets poster?
    Ive read Miguel's site just about every year now since Ive been following the cap, and this is the only time Ive thought you guys would actually lose anyone because of the cap. This would be the first time I posted somthing like this

    Pioli/BB has done an amazing job with their cap. Even now you guys are not in good shape and will be losing some players due to the cap, but the money has still been maximized to the fullest.

    Bottomline is though--The Patriots will be losing some good players this offseason.

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    SoFla
    Posts
    19,106
    Isn't Gay a FA too?

  8. #8
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,005
    Much as I hate to admit it.... They may look different, but the model they employ of looking for talent in lower rounds of the draft has been very effective for the Pats. I look for them to trade that high 1st rounder ( Thanks Mike Nolan and Alex Smith) for several lower round picks that can be had for lots less money. The Pats have played the cap/ FA game better than any other franchise... No reason to believe they won't do it again.

    SO yeah, they may not be perfect again next year (assuming we or the NYG don't knock them off this year, but they will be successful for several more years.

    The key is the Jets need to take their fqavorable cap position and do SOMETHING constructive with it and become competitive.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Rhodes View Post
    Ive read Miguel's site just about every year now since Ive been following the cap, and this is the only time Ive thought you guys would actually lose anyone because of the cap. This would be the first time I posted somthing like this

    Pioli/BB has done an amazing job with their cap. Even now you guys are not in good shape and will be losing some players due to the cap, but the money has still been maximized to the fullest.

    Bottomline is though--The Patriots will be losing some good players this offseason.
    This is will not be the first season they would have lost good players though maybe the first year they lost them not on their terms. We will finally see how much they value Samuel, I think Moss can be had at an undervalued contract. I’m more worried about retirements. I think if they actually pull of 19-0 it you can see some players hanging it up.

    Is this number based on the projected cap for next year?

  10. #10
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    16,458
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    Isn't Gay a FA too?
    No, they locked Brady up already.

  11. #11
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,798
    I'm sure Belicheck is panicking about this.
    What is Belichecks contract status? Did he sign an extension?

    We have a good amount of cap room, I just hope Woody spends some money.

  12. #12
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,061
    Let's evaluate our respective situations:

    Jets - awful season, team loaded with JAGs sprinkled with a few bright spots, lots of cap room going into next year

    Pats - in the midst of the most dominant season in NFL history, HOF QB in his prime, but boy are they in trouble in the off-season...

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    748
    Do the numbers take into account the cap increase for next year?

  14. #14
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,940
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFan1 View Post
    This is will not be the first season they would have lost good players though maybe the first year they lost them not on their terms. We will finally see how much they value Samuel, I think Moss can be had at an undervalued contract. I’m more worried about retirements. I think if they actually pull of 19-0 it you can see some players hanging it up.

    Is this number based on the projected cap for next year?
    Yes they do take into account the cap jump. The Linked thread is somewhere on the first or second page here if u check around....

    And the bolded is my point. But this isnt some attempt to hate on the Patriots. When you have as much talent, and success as the patriots this kind of stuff has to happen although they have done an amazing job with the cap.

    Read Miguel's pages for more info...he is the best cap guy I have ever read.

    My initial thoughts are Moss will be resigned long term, Colvin cut, Samuel Let go and the LB's signed to a short, cheap deals while you guys target the Laurinitis's of the world.

  15. #15
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,798
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFan1 View Post
    This is will not be the first season they would have lost good players though maybe the first year they lost them not on their terms. We will finally see how much they value Samuel, I think Moss can be had at an undervalued contract. Iím more worried about retirements. I think if they actually pull of 19-0 it you can see some players hanging it up.

    Is this number based on the projected cap for next year?

    Nah, money talks...they will try and get jobs with other teams and milk it for year or two.

  16. #16
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4,276
    Quote Originally Posted by JetStream View Post
    most likely they'll trade that pick for some later 1st rounder and more picks....
    It is not easy to trade those high draft picks. Teams don't want to take on those big contracts and the value chart requires a lot in return for #2 or #3 overall (which is what they might get)

  17. #17
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    8,232
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    No, they locked Brady up already.
    Well played.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Rhodes View Post
    Yes they do take into account the cap jump. The Linked thread is somewhere on the first or second page here if u check around....

    And the bolded is my point. But this isnt some attempt to hate on the Patriots. When you have as much talent, and success as the patriots this kind of stuff has to happen although they have done an amazing job with the cap.

    Read Miguel's pages for more info...he is the best cap guy I have ever read.

    My initial thoughts are Moss will be resigned long term, Colvin cut, Samuel Let go and the LB's signed to a short, cheap deals while you guys target the Laurinitis's of the world.
    I love Miguel's stuff, but I have fought all temptation to look ahead past the current season, though I do catch myself looking very forward to the draft.

    I can see Colvin cut, or renegotiated, especially with the high 1st round pick because I think Belichick is looking for a pass rusher in this draft, a D Ware or Merriman type. The core of our team, the QB, Dline, and Oline is pretty much locked up. Last year I would have let Samuel walk this year I hope they can find the money to keep him, but it wont be easy, I think hes proved hes worth it.

    Quote Originally Posted by LSJF View Post
    Nah, money talks...they will try and get jobs with other teams and milk it for year or two.
    Maybe Vrable, but you think anyone is going to give Bruschi or Seau any money?
    Last edited by PatsFan1; 12-12-2007 at 03:19 PM.

  19. #19
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,439
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Rhodes View Post
    Yes they do take into account the cap jump. The Linked thread is somewhere on the first or second page here if u check around....

    And the bolded is my point. But this isnt some attempt to hate on the Patriots. When you have as much talent, and success as the patriots this kind of stuff has to happen although they have done an amazing job with the cap.

    Read Miguel's pages for more info...he is the best cap guy I have ever read.

    My initial thoughts are Moss will be resigned long term, Colvin cut, Samuel Let go and the LB's signed to a short, cheap deals while you guys target the Laurinitis's of the world.
    Moss signs to a 'friendly' deal (a little less than market value, ala Brady)
    Vrabel signs to a 'friendly' deal
    Harrison, Bruschi, Seau are back (if they want) at vet min or close to it
    Wilson signs a incentive-based deal

    Stallworth & Samuel gone
    Gay likely goes elswhere
    Colvin could be cut if they have someone else in mind (Thomas? Rookie? Jason Taylor?)

    Trade out of the top 5 at all cost to reduce the guaranteed money, even if the pundits laugh at the value they get for the pick.

    Extend Bradys deal another 5yrs and lower his # a lot, the, after 2008, who cares? the CBA as we know it will get blown away by the union and the owners. Who knows what happens then? 2 leagues? The haves & the have-nots?

  20. #20
    They will trade that pick IMO.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us