Thread: Patriots may go 16-0 but not win it all

All Pro

Patriots may go 16-0 but not win it all

I think it's pretty safe to say the Giants aren't going to spoil the 16-0 run for the Patriots. Spygate or not, hate them or not -give them props for winning some tough games and sticking it out.

But...a perfect season it may not be. The Pats have shown themselves vulnerable to a strong running attack combined with a good pass defense - particularly in bad weather. Peter King may be designing their SB ring but I'm not.

Looking ahead, I see three teams that could very possibly beat the Patriots in the playoffs. Indy gets a bye. SD will play either Cleveland or Pittsburgh and win. Jacksonville will play the other and should win (although Cleveland could surprise on a good day). So the Pats will likely have to play two of these three teams:

SD goes as LT goes and he's hot again. 5 TDs and 439 yards in the last three weeks. Yowza! They get sacks...They get picks...and they're peaking at the right time. My sleeper pick to rep the AFC.

Indy is what it is. A team that, when hot, can beat anyone. They have injury concerns, but if they get Marvin back, they can sling it out with NE.

Jax is interesting. Another hot team (won 6 of last 7) with a great defense and a strong rushing attack. They don't have a dominating runner like LT, but they get a lot of production from their 1-2 punch of Fred Taylor and MJD. They have to be their best to beat NE, but they've been that a lot lately.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not predicting anything here, but I think the AFC playoffs after the bye week are going to be really good football.

JetsFan2012
    Jacksonville could very well be a spoiler to the Pats, and it would be fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    Jacksonville could very well be a spoiler to the Pats, and it would be fantastic.
    New England has dominated Jacksonville recently, and I don't think there is an NFC team that can contend with them. A motivated San Diego team and Indy are the only hopes to thwart the perfect season, IMO..

All Pro
    the AFC playoffs this year may have the 4 best teams in the NFL in it.

gonna be some great games

dony remeber any year with 4 teams in one conference that are dominant at most times during the year

All Pro
    It's such a rare thing to see something like this. I'm rooting for the Pats to go undefeated. As for teams that can match up, if the patriots bring their A game, I think the Colts are the only ones that come close. Mystified that anyone thinks San Diego or the Jaguars are strong candidates for an upset.

Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    It's such a rare thing to see something like this. I'm rooting for the Pats to go undefeated. As for teams that can match up, if the patriots bring their A game, I think the Colts are the only ones that come close. Mystified that anyone thinks San Diego or the Jaguars are strong candidates for an upset.
    Me too. The Patriots aren't going to lose to a Norv Turner coached team in the playoffs and Brady can pass for 300 yards on Jacksonville in his sleep. Indy is the biggest threat by far to NE's chances of winning the AFC.

Veteran
    I am hoping the pats win sunday as well. I think it would be hilarious if the patriots went 16-0 and then lost in their first playoff game. It would be the only time in NFL history that going 16-0 would be a total waste of a season.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonySerp View Post
    the AFC playoffs this year may have the 4 best teams in the NFL in it.

gonna be some great games

dony remeber any year with 4 teams in one conference that are dominant at most times during the year
    You might being going a little overboard with these comments.

I think you are mistaking a very top heavy league this season with greatness.

Pats great.

Indy great.

The rest look great because the league in general SUCKS.