Thread: Cliff Avril Purdue

JetsInsider.com Legend

Cliff Avril Purdue

possible 3-4 DE? on TV tonight against a quality LT in Andrew Hartline.

Cliff Avril, Purdue Another in a recent line of fine, versatile Boilermakers pass rushers. Avril has the size (6-3, 255 pounds) and speed (4.6 range) to excite scouts. He will likely be asked to perform linebacker drills in the postseason to evaluate him as a possible outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?s...yhoo&type=lgns

did you mean 3-4 OLB? does he have the size for a 3-4 DE? bitonti, what prospects coming into this draft do you see us looking at for our defense?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfaneh View Post
    did you mean 3-4 OLB? does he have the size for a 3-4 DE? bitonti, what prospects coming into this draft do you see us looking at for our defense?
    yes I apologize, meant to say 3-4 LB in original post.

ill have a list of 3-4 defenders as the draft approaches. I do think they will be looking at pass rushers, and if they don't get Long in round 1, that means they think they can fill the position cheaper.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Avril looked like an outstanding up and coming prospect in '05 as a sophomore when he played OLB @Purdue....

he has been out of position the past two seasons and really performed poorly as a senior but he has shown ability at OLB in the past....

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    yes I apologize, meant to say 3-4 LB in original post.

ill have a list of 3-4 defenders as the draft approaches. I do think they will be looking at pass rushers, and if they don't get Long in round 1, that means they think they can fill the position cheaper.
    Would bringing in Suggs at OLB change the need to draft someone at this position?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Would bringing in Suggs at OLB change the need to draft someone at this position?
    yes... FA will tell alot, if they sign a big tackle for instance Stacey Andrews that means they aren't going to take a Jake Long/Jeff Otah type. We will know more in March.

Veteran
    Even if we took Suggs in free agency, I still wouldn't mind taking an OLB in round 2 of the draft. There are a lot of good ones out there, Harvey, Groves, Gholston, Ellis, Jackson and i think one of these guys would be available when we are picking in the second.

Banned
    Hell yes it would.

I love your sig! Tony Cliffton is the bomb.

It would make sense to look at the DLine in the ILB position if we land Suggs.

All Pro
    I would hope its still a priority.

Its too important of a spot to hope that Bryan Thomas becomes a stud.

Plus its likely to be a BAP in the second or third round depending on who falls.

This is hypothetical but this would be a sweet year to get Dallas two first round picks because of OLB, and RT.

With those picks we could probably get a Merling and a Otah or another good RT.

Veteran
    I'm pretty positive Merling came out and said he's going back along with the safety Hamlin. I'd love Merling next year though, great player.

Rookie
    Since were talking about the Purdue game tonight, keep an eye on WR.. Dorien Bryant... a real playmaker and very productive. Bryant isn't very big, 5'10", and may not be a good fit for the Jets, since IMO, we need a bigger WR. New Jersey Boy, who went to Fork Union Milt Acad.
    Last edited by WW85; 12-26-2007 at 06:39 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by WW85 View Post
    Since were talking about the Purdue game tonight, keep an eye on WR.. Dorien Bryant... a real playmaker and very productive. .
    he's also a homo....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by genom View Post
    I'm pretty positive Merling came out and said he's going back along with the safety Hamlin. I'd love Merling next year though, great player.
    no...it was the safety, Michael Hamlin, who publically claimed he made a pact with Merling to return...Merling will get an opinion from the NFL AC then make his decision...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    he's also a homo....
    Any Westbrook/Stewart-type relationship going on?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by RutgersJetFan View Post
    Any Westbrook/Stewart-type relationship going on?
    I did not hear Painter was a pickel kisser, so I'd say unlikely.....

Banned
    Kenyon Brown stole the show last night.

Did Avril even play? He was non-existent

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by WW85 View Post
    Since were talking about the Purdue game tonight, keep an eye on WR.. Dorien Bryant... a real playmaker and very productive. Bryant isn't very big, 5'10", and may not be a good fit for the Jets, since IMO, we need a bigger WR. New Jersey Boy, who went to Fork Union Milt Acad.
    Besides being gay at CB pointed out, he's also extremely soft and was ripped by Tiller midseason for being inconsistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    he's also a homo....
    A nice pick for NE in the 3rd