Thread: Pick your spot in the draft?

All Pro

Pick your spot in the draft?

This offseason we are going to have a top 7 pick, and possibly get extra picks for Vilma, Chad, etc. But obviously we could trade down.

In this draft if you had to pick anywhere using the above assets, where would you hypothetically want to pick BASED ON THE TALENT?

-Is this a draft you want to pull a Ted Thompson and end up with over 10 picks, and alot of mid rounders?

-Do you want to pull a 07 Tangini, and invest most of your draft to high tier players, and feel theres a dropoff in the mid rounds?

-Wheres the dropoff?

The more I look at our team I want to have one of those 12 person drafts because of all our needs, but the more you hear the draft is bad the more quality approach may be beneficial.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Rhodes View Post
    This offseason we are going to have a top 7 pick, and possibly get extra picks for Vilma, Chad, etc. But obviously we could trade down.

In this draft if you had to pick anywhere using the above assets, where would you hypothetically want to pick BASED ON THE TALENT?

-Is this a draft you want to pull a Ted Thompson and end up with over 10 picks, and alot of mid rounders?

-Do you want to pull a 07 Tangini, and invest most of your draft to high tier players, and feel theres a dropoff in the mid rounds?

-Wheres the dropoff?

The more I look at our team I want to have one of those 12 person drafts because of all our needs, but the more you hear the draft is bad the more quality approach may be beneficial.
    Obviously, based on talent, you want to draft as high as you possibly can. The higher you draft, the more potential talent is available. I would like to pull a Ted Thompson on this draft. This draft has so few elite players, but is loaded with good-very good players (with the exception of QB). Unless we're trading up to grab McFadden or a Long, I would prefer to stockpile midrounders for this draft.

I want as many day 1 picks as possible unless we can pull off a trade for Brady Quinn. Id trade away assets for a QB who I feel can be good in the pros. As for the position I dont really care where we end up with the picks. I kind of think we might be able to find a WR early in the 2nd this year and if thats the case I definitely want someway to make certain I get my guy.

All Pro
    I haven't seen this mentioned, but this might be the year to trade our second rounder (high pick) for a good team's first rounder next year. My only condition is that if we see a serious RT prospect we grab him. Otherwise, I'm thinking a little long-term investing might be wise.

Hall Of Fame
    We don't only need starters we need good starters. As much as I like being the kid in the candy store with lots of picks I'd be happy if we trade up and get great starters like we did last year. Even the year before when we had lots of picks and the draft seemed really good we still conmsider part timers like Smith and Washington as big successes (which they were) but they are not every down pro bowlers like Revis and Harris might become.

I think our draft strategy will be layed bare after FA.

Trading down in the 1st round would be ideal, especially if we have the number 3 pick and can get someone like Dallas involved with their 2 1st rounders. The more first day picks the better. I can see us keeping our first rounder if it is the 7th pick overall though.

I see us with picks: 1, 2, 3, 3 (Vilma trade), 4, 5, 5 (Chad trade), 6, 7. A 9 pick draft with 4 first day picks. Unless I am forgetting about another pick we ended up getting or trading somewhere. Hopefully we can address a few positions through free agency like OLB (Suggs), CB (Gay), RT (Andrews). I think anything more then that in FA is wishful thinking. No way we start signing a ton of high price guys.

Last year with Revis and Harris looks successful right now but man that was high risk high reward. I think we need to bring in more first day guys this year.

TMahoney
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfaneh View Post
    Trading down in the 1st round would be ideal, especially if we have the number 3 pick and can get someone like Dallas involved with their 2 1st rounders. The more first day picks the better. I can see us keeping our first rounder if it is the 7th pick overall though.

I see us with picks: 1, 2, 3, 3 (Vilma trade), 4, 5, 5 (Chad trade), 6, 7. A 9 pick draft with 4 first day picks. Unless I am forgetting about another pick we ended up getting or trading somewhere. Hopefully we can address a few positions through free agency like OLB (Suggs), CB (Gay), RT (Andrews). I think anything more then that in FA is wishful thinking. No way we start signing a ton of high price guys.

Last year with Revis and Harris looks successful right now but man that was high risk high reward. I think we need to bring in more first day guys this year.
    Yea I agree with this guy for the most part, I'd switch around his free agent signings to LG Alan Faneca, CB Drayton Florence and possibly a RT or WR depending on the money.

but the idea of 9 picks, 4 in the top 3 rounds (as the first day is now officially only the top 2 rounds) sounds perfect to me.

AND if I'm not mistaken Kerry Rhodes wants us to pick a spot in the draft in the top 7. I'll say pick 3 or pick 6. Either of those.

With those picks we probably got our choice of either Chris Long/Jake Long or Gholston/Laurinaitis. In both scenarios the pass rushers would be my first choice.

Hall Of Fame
    I think in terms of getting an Elite Prospect, we need to be in the Top 3 or so of this draft to have a chance at a McFadden or Chris Long. If those guys are gone then I have no problem moving down and picking up as many picks as we can, but I don't want to pass on a potentially elite prospect for Quantity.

Then again, if there isnt an elite prospect then nobody will want to trade up, which makes it easier said then done. I'm hoping Glenn Dorsey will be around for that purpose in that he doesn't make much sense for our Defense, but there are likely multiple 4-3 teams that would be interested in moving up and getting their hands on the guy.

JetsInsider.com Legend

That would make things a hell of a lot easier, a HELL of a lot easier.

All Pro
    For me this is a year where I want as many picks as possible after mid first to mid second....

If I could trade for the Cowboys two first I do it even If i have to take less...If I could trade Vilma for a high two I do it wherever.

We really need a RT, OLB which should be the value in those picks.....

We really need a NT--Rubin could be a poss there(Still dont know alot about him)

We need another TE--Could get a decent one like Rucker, or Carlston there.

We need a Guard--If Duke declares he should go late first.

Oh, And the QB most of us like in the draft will be available late first to 45.

TMahoney
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Rhodes View Post
    For me this is a year where I want as many picks as possible after mid first to mid second....

If I could trade for the Cowboys two first I do it even If i have to take less...If I could trade Vilma for a high two I do it wherever.

We really need a RT, OLB which should be the value in those picks.....

We really need a NT--Rubin could be a poss there(Still dont know alot about him)

We need another TE--Could get a decent one like Rucker, or Carlston there.

We need a Guard--If Duke declares he should go late first.

Oh, And the QB most of us like in the draft will be available late first to 45
    What QB?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by RutgersJetFan View Post

That would make things a hell of a lot easier, a HELL of a lot easier.

Was about to say the same thing.

Veteran
    2nd pick....no doubt.

We definitely get either McFadden or Long and if there's a team that's crazy for DMc then maybe we could pull off a nice trade.

Picking 2nd is a much better circumstance than picking 7th.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    It has to be the #2 spot

If we're selecting 2nd overall, we're guaranteed either Chris Long or Darren McFadden. This franchise is starved of playmakers. We need a new electric player on offense or defense, it doesn't matter which.