Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: With the 6th pick in the 2008 NFL Draft.....

JetsInsider.com Legend

With the 6th pick in the 2008 NFL Draft.....

The New York Jets select: DE/OLB Vernon Gholston

So 6 is officially where we will be picking?

Veteran
    VERNON GHOLSTON

Hall Of Fame
    dude looks like an HGH junkie

I don't think Ryan gets bye the Falcons

All Pro
    I think we may have the 5th pick, no? Isn't it:

Miami
    St. Louis
    KC
    Oakland
    Jets
    Falcons

we need Jason to update his thread

Veteran
    It's a shame that we're picking 6th in the entire draft...

Vernon Gholston

This is a good lil' read:

Vernon Gholston may easily be a first-round NFL draft pick if he chooses to leave Ohio State after this season. Life in the pros is so irrelevant for the Buckeyes defensive end now, though. The BCS National Championship Game against LSU is the only thing on Gholston’s mind. Success by Ohio State will enhance the expected rewards Gholston receives when he moves on to the pros. Failure, as they say, is not an option. “The national championship ... that’s going to be the biggest thing in my life now,” Gholston said. “People can say what I do in this game will affect my chances of going on to the next level. So my focus now is LSU.” The Buckeyes have a championship-caliber defense this season. Butkus Award winner James Laurinaitis leads the way. Gholston also has wreaked havoc on opposing offenses. Gholston tied Mike Vrabel’s single-season sack record with 13 and was named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year by the league’s coaches. “It’s never about me,” Gholston said. “I go out there and try to play hard within the scheme of the defense. I play with my teammates and win games. That’s most important to me. Whether I have 13 sacks or one sack, if we win every game, I’m happy.”

Veteran
    ... Kenny Phillips!

We'll sign Suggs thru FA, so there will be no need at OLB

Veteran
    I Think we're Picking 5th not at six.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by LB54 View Post
    ... Kenny Phillips!
    Agreed!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by LB54 View Post
    ... Kenny Phillips!

We'll sign Suggs thru FA, so there will be no need at OLB
    Phillips is a stud but we really shouldn't be taking a S with our first pick unless all of the players we wanted before him are gone.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by New York Mick View Post
    Phillips is a stud but we really shouldn't be taking a S with our first pick unless all of the players we wanted before him are gone.
    The reason I'm all for Phillips is this:
    Our biggest need OL can be fixed thru FA. There will be guys like Andrews, Faneca, Bell ......
    Then OLB: There are guys like Suggs, Dansby who should be FAs...

But there won't be any good safety out there. And Elam nor Smith are the answer at FS...

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by New York Mick View Post
    Dolphins - Chris Long
    Rams - Jake Long
    Falcons - Darren McFadden

Yep, all 3 are gone. Fourth on our board is Phillips; let's take him!

Undrafted Free Agent
    Drafting Kenny Phillips would be incomprehensible. It would be like putting cupcake frosting on a turd. Our secondary is our only true strength heading into this offseason, and too much of our team is complete practice squad crap. To waste the sixth overall pick on a safety, would be to throw this team into turmoil for at least another two years. Ask the Raiders how that Michael Huff pick is working out on their joke of a team.

If we draft Kenny Phillips, I promise I will eat the Miami Hurricanes hat I found on the floor of the restaurant I work in, and post pictures of my meal on this website.

Hall Of Fame
    Phins- Dorsey
    Rams- Chris long
    raiders- darren mcfadden
    falcons- matt ryan
    chiefs- jake long

Jets- ??????

Hall Of Fame
    maybe James Laurinaitis?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets904 View Post
    Drafting Kenny Phillips would be incomprehensible. It would be like putting cupcake frosting on a turd. Our secondary is our only true strength heading into this offseason, and too much of our team is complete practice squad crap. To waste the sixth overall pick on a safety, would be to throw this team into turmoil for at least another two years. Ask the Raiders how that Michael Huff pick is working out on their joke of a team.

If we draft Kenny Phillips, I promise I will eat the Miami Hurricanes hat I found on the floor of the restaurant I work in, and post pictures of my meal on this website.
    If not Kenny Phillips, which player do you suggest drafting?

At this point, the only other player I would consider at that spot is Gholston.

Veteran
    My only problem with taking Phillips is that he's more of a FS, along with Kerry Rhodes. I don't think two playmakers is necessary for both safety spots. I think we need a more in the box hitter/sure tackler for the SS position.

Undrafted Free Agent
    ANY qualified player on the offensive/defensive lines. I know there are a lot of free agent fixes, but Tannenbaum is not going to go out and make more than one huge signing outside of Faneca god-willing. Since this is the case I'd take Gholston, Calais Campbell or maybe even Manningham considering the state of our receiving corps.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by genom View Post
    My only problem with taking Phillips is that he's more of a FS, along with Kerry Rhodes. I don't think two playmakers is necessary for both safety spots. I think we need a more in the box hitter/sure tackler for the SS position.
    From the games I've seen of Miami he could play in the box. He is a good tackler...