Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jets could be spending big this offseason

Jets could be spending big this offseason

With almost $28 million in salary-cap room, seven draft picks (including a possible top-five choice) and a couple of bargaining chips for the trade market (Chad Pennington and Jonathan Vilma), the New York Jets should be able to return to respectability the New York Daily News reported.

The early word is that Mike Tannenbaum, known as a frugal spender, is prepared to be a big player in free agency. Don't be surprised if the Jets' wish list includes Baltimore Ravens OLB Terrell Suggs, Tennessee Titans DT Albert Haynesworth and Chicago Bears WR Bernard Berrian.

This could be a make-or-break offseason for "Tangini." Their to-do list is daunting.

Source: New York Daily News
    I would love if the Jets got 2 of those 3.

All Pro
    Cimini throwing out more speculation...speculation he gets from these boards(I wonder where I heard those names before?)

Hall Of Fame
    You can say that again.

I have wanted to grab Haynesworth (prototypical 3-4 Nose Tackle size) and convert him to a 3-4 player.

Suggs would be a monster next to Harris IMO.

Berrian would be a nice replacement for that loser McCareins.

Any, if not ALL, would be nice and may actually be MANDATORY........

All Pro
    I was saying this wayyy before any newspaper.

Were going to spend a NICE amount of money this offseason.

All Pro
    Suggs would be a perfect fit for the Jets at OLB. But I would be amazed if he isn't slapped with the Franchise tag by the Ravens. They basically made this choice last year, when they chose to let Thomas leave knowing that Suggs was up this year. They knew they couldn't pay them both, so they let the older guy leave.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Rhodes View Post

We're going to spend a NICE amount of money this offseason.
    I think you've been saying that we *should* spend some nice money this offseason. Which I think everyone would agree with.

Whether we do or not remains to be seen.

I'd love to believe that Cmini has an inside source, though unfortunately it might be Jets Insider...

Also, while we will try to sign these players - will they want to come here? Will we have to overpay for them?

JetsInsider.com Legend

Based on what?

The Jets past history of going aggressively after FA's?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenwingsensation10 View Post
    I would love if the Jets got 2 of those 3.
    Haynesworth and Suggs would be huge.

Berrian would be another Curtis Conway/Justin McCariens.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by thshadow View Post
    I think you've been saying that we *should* spend some nice money this offseason. Which I think everyone would agree with.

Whether we do or not remains to be seen.

I'd love to believe that Cmini has an inside source, though unfortunately it might be Jets Insider...

Also, while we will try to sign these players - will they want to come here? Will we have to overpay for them?
    Nope, Ive made a few Topics(not post) that "We Will" be spending bigtime this season.

If I had search I would bump it. Im only saying it now because I was very outspoken about this topic in an area(FA) that we HAVE NOT SPENT MONEY in the last 4-5 years.

Were going to be spending some nice money this offseason. Feel free to search topics if you want to bump it.

FYI, Im still not right, or wrong......Just looking at our cap, and contracts, and a few other figures I know well be spending mucho dinero.

Veteran
    i would love to have haynesworth on our defensive line. He is exactly the kind of player we need. He would be a beast at DE in our 3-4

also suggs would give us a much needed passrush and this kind of off-season will allow us to draft any player we want at number 6 since DL and OLB are pretty much our 2 biggest holes besides OL...

we could take someone like kenny phillips, jake long if he falls to 6 or even a QB like ryan or brohm if mangini doesnt feel clemens is the answer

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Haynesworth and Suggs would be huge.

Berrian would be another Curtis Conway/Justin McCariens.
    I could see him becoming average once we got him, lol...

All League
    I feel like a similar report comes out every year since we got out of that cap mess. Yet, do we ever spend big? Last year we had a ton of space, what did they do with it? Wadsworth, Haynes? I'll believe it when I see it.

So Cimini knows we're going to spend some money?

Tannenbaum has never done it before, how do we know now that he'll spend money. Aren't we a "build through the draft" organization like the Eagles/Steelers?

And I don't even want this team to go out and spend tons of money, I'd rather see us sign one important free agent whether it be Faneca or Suggs (And at this point Faneca would clearly help us more) then spend on guys like Berrian or Stacey Andrews or Albert Haynesworth.

Pay for the known commodities, not the boom/bust free agents.

All League
    Until the ink is dry on ONE big free agent's contract, I just cannot believe that the Jets will be big free agents this off season. Its great to build a franchise through the draft but there are certain positions where a veteran is just mandatory. Persaonally, I think Haynesworth will get franchised as might Suggs, but our biggest signing has to be the Offensive Line anyway. We need to overspend and might unfortunately have to set the market for a top notch guard and tackle, otherwise we will have another season of struggling to score 15 points a game. Hopefully I am wrong, let's go spend some cash!!

Hall Of Fame
    Let's see how much we spend on upgrading the coaching staff in the next couple of weeks. This is as important as what we do in FA.

Hall Of Fame
    I'll believe it when I see it.

Top 5 draft pick? I thought we were locked in at 6?

And Tannebaum must make a splash this free agency for once. He can't make the same mistake of overestimiating the talent level of this team. We need playmakers and he needs to be aggressive.

Veteran
    I'd stay away from Berrian. I don't think he'll be worth the money.

All Pro
    You absolutely did. Between the contracts and the temperature turned up underneath the coach and GM I think we can expect to hear the Jets involved in a lot of rumors and chatter. Hopefully getting at least 2 big FA's.

Stacy Andrews and Bernard Berrian seem realistic to me. I don't think Suggs or Faneca will be Jets next year.

All Pro

With the current condition of Jon Vilma

and the uncertainty with the Coles contract situation,how about we trade both those players to the Bengals for Chad Johnson and a conditional draft pick.Say either a 3rd or 4th depending on Vilma's ability to pass a pre draft physical.

Johnson would give the Jets a game changing receiver while Vilma and coles would bring their play making abilities and their on/off the field Character to a team in desperate need of an image upgrade.