Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rob Ryan Officially Fired.

Veteran

Rob Ryan Officially Fired.

The NFL Network reports the Raiders have fired defensive coordinator Rob Ryan.

The move was expected after Ryan's defense was gashed by the run for the second straight year. Ryan believes he'll find a job quickly, and he's probably right. This could spur the Jets to fire Bob Sutton in the coming days and make immediate overtures to Ryan, a good friend of Jets coach Eric Mangini.
    Source: Sacramento Bee
    Related: Jets

Do it now Mangini, start the off season on the right foot.

Banned
    this needs to happen asap

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Cack89 View Post

The move was expected after Ryan's defense was gashed by the run for the second straight year. Ryan believes he'll find a job quickly, and he's probably right. This could spur the Jets to fire Bob Sutton in the coming days and make immediate overtures to Ryan, a good friend of Jets coach Eric Mangini.

Oh hell yeh.

All Pro

I def think the D needs a change and I think Ryan is the right fit but let's not overlook the fact that their run D was 'gashed'. That has always been a problem for the Jets..we need a run stopper!

This signing and firing of Sutton needs to go down ASAP.

I want see this thing done by 3pm tomorrow.

Veteran
    I agree that Sutton needs to go, this D has been too bad for too long. I don't know too much about Ryan other than he needs a hair cut. Can someone please fill me in on why Ryan as DC is such a great thing? Oaklands run D is horrible, why are we so sure this move would upgrade our D?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by player1322 View Post
    I agree that Sutton needs to go, this D has been too bad for too long. I don't know too much about Ryan other than he needs a hair cut. Can someone please fill me in on why Ryan as DC is such a great thing? Oaklands run D is horrible, why are we so sure this move would upgrade our D?
    Damn, if we draft Gholston, he is going to give T.Jones a run for his $ with those arms

Hall Of Fame
    the evolution of Rob Ryan's career dictates that he goes to Head Coach now.

but it would be awesome if he came here and became the DC and assitant HC.

Jim Herrman would be a fine DC as well as he ran the 34 at Michigan -- when David harris was there.

Veteran
    Damn, if we draft Gholston, he is going to give T.Jones a run for his $ with those arms
    Gholston is an absolute beast. People are going to sh*t themselves when this guy shows up to the combine with no shirt - No homo lol.

All Pro
    Here's a vid that touches on Ryan possibly to the Jets:

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d805ab71c

This dude looks out there

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by WeskerLogan View Post

He looks like a nut job. If someone who doesn't watch the NFL saw this guy on the street they would probably toss some change and run/

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by WeskerLogan View Post

thanks wesk

Hall Of Fame

Hall Of Fame
    http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/20781.html

Again, only players can save Raiders' Ryan
    Posted by: Anthony Carroll on December 28, 2007 12:00 AM
    Permalink Comments (41) Email RSS Add to My Yahoo!My Yahoo!
    del.icio.us Digg! Reddit Newsvine Techn. StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

For the third consecutive season, Oakland Raiders defensive coordinator Rob Ryan has his back to the wall. And, once again, only reporters are surrounding him.

This time around, though, Ryan may not feel so uncomfortable. The 45-year-old coach is in jeopardy of losing his job for the third consecutive season. Each season, he's retained it, and he has his young players to thank.

Ryan was hired back in 2004, when Norv Turner was brought in as coach. He survived the '05 season, when Turner was fired, and last offseason, when Shell was canned. Plenty of players spoke out each season to keep the rugged-looking coordinator in town.

In fact, before hiring Kiffin, some players endorsed Ryan to be the team's next head coach. Outside linebacker Sam Williams was one.

"I've been with Rob for three years now. He's a really emotional guy," the 27-year-old defender said. "He gets the guys up to play. He'd be a really good leader for the whole team, and he'd still be running the defense his way."

In the end, Kiffin got the job, but Ryan still got to run the defense his way.

The ensuing result was an '07 defense that ranks 26th in yardage allowed, 25th in points given up, 10th in pass defense and 31st in rush 'D'. The Raiders haven't held a team to under 20 points since Week 12, and that was against a 29th-ranked Chiefs offense.

Even so, Ryan believes he'd be a hot commodity on the market.

"I'd be out of a job for two minutes," Ryan told Bay Area reporter Jerry McDonald Thursday. "I mean, who are we kidding? I'm not worried about it."

A year ago, the Raiders ranked third overall in total defense, giving up just 284.8 yards per game. This season, the unit has surrendered 62.7 yards more each game.

"[I] love the Raiders, [but] if that happens, so be it. I'd be out of a job for two minutes," Ryan repeated.

Kiffin hasn't given any indication that Ryan won't have to endure those two minutes of joblessness.

"I haven't made any decisions yet," the head coach said. "I'm continuing to evaluate everything and look at everything and make us as good as we can be."

With the way the '07 season has played out, it doesn't appear Ryan's almost-strictly man-to-man defense gives the team the best chance to win.

Players may come to Ryan's defense once again, but this may be the year that doesn't work.

Anthony Carroll can be contacted at acarroll@realfootball365.com

Veteran
    I decided to go back and watch a few Raider games to see what Ryan's defense looks like. One thing that stood out to me was the amount of time Michael Huff, Oakland's safety spends in the box on first downs. I think we can expect to see a lot of Kerry Rhodes around the line of scrimmage to stop the run. Should be interesting to see what kind of schemes Ryan can come up with if he's hired.

Nothing like getting excited about picking up another teams trash! Whats this guy done that so damn special anyway?

All Pro
    Call Rex first, if not get ROB!!!!!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJets4life View Post
    Nothing like getting excited about picking up another teams trash! Whats this guy done that so damn special anyway?
    A) Can't be any worse than Sutton

B) Has experience with the NE 3-4 system.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by player1322 View Post
    Ryan is well respected by the inner circle of NFL types. He was interviewed for head coaching positions last off season. He has an amazing pedigree from having learned from his father Buddy Ryan, Bill Belichek and Romeo Crennel. I believe he also owns Super Bowl rings and has a lot of post season experience.

His wild and crazy look and personality is a nice contrast with the head coach and could be a very nice balance on gameday. The fact that Mangini and Ryan are good friends and, more importantly, are on the same page with X and O's is a major plus. I don't think Sutton was even a traditional 3-4 guy.

All this adds up to a major upgrade for 2008, if it happens.

Hall Of Fame
    Mangini needs to pull the trigger and fire Sutton now!!