Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ellis....time to cut the cord?

Undrafted Free Agent

Ellis....time to cut the cord?

I am sure i am not the only one here, but i think it is time to get rid of him (salary cap hit pending of course). He has never been a consistant player, regresses for 2 years then has a good year. Not suited for 3-4 and not a "mean, relentless" player.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Hall Of Fame
    I think Ellis will be ok if he had better players around him. Remember, he was on the brink of stardom when Abe was here because he got all the double teams.

Quote Originally Posted by klynch View Post
    I am sure i am not the only one here, but i think it is time to get rid of him (salary cap hit pending of course). He has never been a consistant player, regresses for 2 years then has a good year. Not suited for 3-4 and not a "mean, relentless" player.

Only five sacks this year. He should be moved.

Hall Of Fame
    Oh hell no.

Ellis was by far out best player on the line this last year. You don't look to 3-4 Lineman for big sack numbers, that's generally the Outside Linebackers job in this Defense, you look for them to be able to hold his own on the line and be able to be stout against the run. It would be a huge mistake to let him go.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    Judging a 3-4 DE by sacks is really unfair.

Ellis is signed to a fair contract for a starting DE, and cutting him would have a huge cap hit, he's a lock to return.

Veteran
    Ellis is OK, but coming off the bench. our starting 3-4 should be Pouha NT and DRob and Coleman on the ends. Ellis can spare DRob and Mosley spare Coleman and find a FA to relieve Pouha.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Ellis isn't spectacular but he's far from our worse problem. He's solid as a 3-4 end. Let's fix OLB and NT first, then see what happens.

Anyone who doesn't think Ellis is our best lineman is nuts. Sione Pouha please. You guys are crazy. If we let Ellis go about 20 teams would lineup to sign him.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    It's a 3-4. Richard Seymore doesn't get more than 6 in a year.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by J.E.T.Sfan4life View Post
    Ellis is OK, but coming off the bench. our starting 3-4 should be Pouha NT and DRob and Coleman on the ends. Ellis can spare DRob and Mosley spare Coleman and find a FA to relieve Pouha.
    Ellis is twice the player as either Coleman or D-Rob, why on earth would you have him coming off the bench to relieve players he's better then?

Veteran

I am not in favor of getting rid of him. He is the best all around DL the Jets currently have. I think he;s got a couple of years left in the tank.

Hall Of Fame
    Outside of the possibility of a high cap number and a very good replacement acquired, I completely disagree with this sentiment. For the last few years, Ellis has been one of the most overly criticized / underrated Jets defenders. Some say he's not a fit for the 3-4 DE, yet its the position he was drafted to play and has actually done quite well the past few years, especially considering hes playing next to a 4-3 3-technique DT trying to play 3-4 NT.

A major criticism the past two years has also been his sack numbers. Meanwhile this season he was tied for the team lead in sacks. It also makes it clear to me that a number of people don't truly understand the nature of the 3-4, as the DEs primary responsible is NOT to rush the passer. In almost all cases, his job is to tie up blockers to allow the LBs to make plays. Its your OLBs that are supposed to be your primary pass-rushers. Ty Warren only had 4 sacks all season. The great Richard Seymour only managed 1.5 in 9 games. Its just not a position you wrack up sacks from. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's an amazing player, but he's certainly a solid starter and nowhere near one of our biggest problems, even on defense. If the team wants to replace him, then they should be acquiring an experienced top level replacement, not some rookie or random FA JAG.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Ellis is twice the player as either Coleman or D-Rob, why on earth would you have him coming off the bench to relieve players he's better then?
    Ellis has a very similar built to McGinest who played for NE. Ellis is not your typical DE in a 3-4 he is better suited for a 4-3. Ellis is not better than DRob, DRob can play Ellis position, Ellis cannot play DRob position, Ellis cannot command to two tackles, one on one he has a better chance, Ellis best games this year came when he was used as a Hybrid OLB, even DeVito mans the 3-4 post better than Ellis.

you guys are crazy thinking Ellis is it c'mon!! dude
    Last edited by J.E.T.Sfan4life; 01-02-2008 at 01:02 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3 View Post
    Judging a 3-4 DE by sacks is really unfair.

Ellis is signed to a fair contract for a starting DE, and cutting him would have a huge cap hit, he's a lock to return.
    I really don't see why people act as if Ellis is terrible and incapable of starting.

He's our most consistent and noticable D-lineman. He may be getting a bit long in the tooth but he's still a good, quality player.

Seymour (who many consider the best 3-4 DE) has never registered more than 8 sacks in a season. There's a reason for that. 3-4 DE's are supposed to tie up blockers first and rush the passer second.

In this scheme you get the majority of your production from your LB's.

All Pro

Let's not get crazy...absolutely not.

Rookie
    Yes, keep him, i wouldn't want the defensive version of the Pete Kendall affair. He is a serviceable if not spectacular DE, and to move him with out a suggestion of a better way to fill that void, would be stupid.
    Last edited by ptath2; 01-02-2008 at 01:01 PM. Reason: spelling

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleedin' Green View Post
    Outside of the possibility of a high cap number and a very good replacement acquired, I completely disagree with this sentiment. For the last few years, Ellis has been one of the most overly criticized / underrated Jets defenders. Some say he's not a fit for the 3-4 DE, yet its the position he was drafted to play and has actually done quite well the past few years, especially considering hes playing next to a 4-3 3-technique DT trying to play 3-4 NT.

A major criticism the past two years has also been his sack numbers. Meanwhile this season he was tied for the team lead in sacks. It also makes it clear to me that a number of people don't truly understand the nature of the 3-4, as the DEs primary responsible is NOT to rush the passer. In almost all cases, his job is to tie up blockers to allow the LBs to make plays. Its your OLBs that are supposed to be your primary pass-rushers. Ty Warren only had 4 sacks all season. The great Richard Seymour only managed 1.5 in 9 games. Its just not a position you wrack up sacks from. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's an amazing player, but he's certainly a solid starter and nowhere near one of our biggest problems, even on defense. If the team wants to replace him, then they should be acquiring an experienced top level replacement, not some rookie or random FA JAG.
    Not to mention that Seymour has only averaged about 5 sacks per year for his career.

Ellis has been more than serviceable in the 3-4. In fact he's been damn good.

Hall Of Fame
    Ellis its hard to say is an under-rated player around here because of where he was drafted, but he is.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by J.E.T.Sfan4life View Post
    Ellis has a very similar built to McGinest who played OLB for NE. Ellis is not your typical DE in a 3-4 he is better suited for a 4-3. Ellis is not better than DRob, DRob can play Ellis position, Ellis cannot play DRob position, Ellis cannot command to two tackles, one on one he has a better chance, Ellis best games this year came when he was used as a Hybrid OLB, even DeVito mans the 3-4 post better than Ellis.

you guys are crazy thinking Ellis is it c'mon!! dude
    Ellis has nearly 20 pounds on McGinest for one, and has nearly prototypical size for a 3-4 DE, nevermind that he was specifically drafted by Parcells/Groh to be a 3-4 DE (But he doesn't fit the 3-4 Defense, right? ), and I seriously have to question your ability to judge players on Defense if you believe half of what you just said. Seriously? Devito was better then Ellis? Is that supposed to be a joke?

Veteran
    you guys keep comparing ellis to seymour

Ellis 6-5 285
    Seymour 6-6 310

how can you ever compare Ellis to Seymour

do you have any idea what the front 3 is suppose to do primarily in a 3-4 defense, their job is to occupy space, take on two not rush the passer, not one-on-one.