Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tangini's biggest draft blunder

Veteran

Tangini's biggest draft blunder

Arguably this regime's biggest blunder on draft day has been the third round selection of Anthony Schlegel. I just re watched the 2006 fiesta bowl between Ohio State and Notre Dame and Schlegel played like a man possessed. Hard to fault them on this selection, the guy looked like a protypical 3-4 ILB. Hitting people left and right, I'm surprised we didn't hang on to him another year or so. i guess his skills just didn't translate, or he still needs some more time.

Hall Of Fame
    The whole scenario behind that 3rd round pick was a big blunder. Obviously the pick was a bust but it's what led up to the pick that they should take flack for in an otherwise good draft.

- Had all but told Gocong he was going to be picked with the next pick.
    - Tried to get cute and trade down a few spots with Philly.
    - Philly snatches Gocong out from under the Jets noses.
    - Worst of all, the price for moving down was a 7th rounder (used to pick Titus Adams I think), below market value.

Hall Of Fame
    We'll know if the Jets take a QB at 6.

If the Jets select a QB with their 1st round pick, then 4 of Tangini's first 5 picks of the 2006 were their biggest blunder.

Tangini had 5 picks in the first 3 rounds of the 2006 draft and came away with only 1 undeniably good player. That's a pathetic job of drafting.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    The whole scenario behind that 3rd round pick was a big blunder. Obviously the pick was a bust but it's what led up to the pick that they should take flack for in an otherwise good draft.

- Had all but told Gocong he was going to be picked with the next pick.
    - Tried to get cute and trade down a few spots with Philly.
    - Philly snatches Gocong out from under the Jets noses.
    - Worst of all, the price for moving down was a 7th rounder (used to pick Titus Adams I think), below market value.
    You keep repeating it, but theres still no reason to think you are correct with that take on what happened.

There is no indication that the Jets intended to select Chris Gocong in that spot. Re-read the article carefully.

Jets surprised by Eagles selecting Gocong

Tuesday, May 2, 2006

By RANDY LANGE
    STAFF WRITER

Not so fast, Jets.

The first draft of the Mike Tannenbaum-Eric Mangini era of Jets football went fairly well, but it wasn't perfect. There was no increase in speed at two positions that needed it: pass-rushing defensive end and wide receiver.

The Jets may have even committed a gaffe that cost them one of the swift end/linebackers they liked and even visited with last week -- Chris Gocong of Cal Poly, who racked up 42 sacks in two seasons at the Division I-AA level.

With their 71st overall selection coming up, the Jets decided to swap third-round picks with Philadelphia, dropping to No. 76 and picking up an extra seventh-rounder

The Eagles, who had shown no pre-draft interest in Gocong, grabbed him with their new pick.

"I was talking to my agent and we actually expected the Jets to draft us with the 71st pick," Gocong said, "but we didn't really know if it was going to happen."

The Jets regrouped and took their second Ohio State player of the draft, linebacker Anthony Schlegel, who, with 4.94 speed in the 40, is not going to be rushing the passer nearly as much.

But the quality of this pick is impossible to gauge. One draft analyst called the Jets taking Schlegel at 76 "a major reach," but another termed it "outstanding value." Go figure.

More in link...

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?...VFeXk2OTI4NzE2

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    You keep repeating it, but theres still no reason to think you are correct with that take on what happened.

There is no indication that the Jets intended to select Chris Gocong in that spot. Re-read the article carefully.
    Along with that article there was more than one rumor that they had been talking to him on his cell phone just before this all went down. That is the reason, also why would Gocong say 'we expected the Jets might take us' without some real prior interest?

Hall Of Fame
    Along with that article there was more than one rumor that they had been talking to him on his cell phone just before this all went down. That is the reason, also why would Gocong say 'we expected the Jets might take us' without some real prior interest?
    They might have liked Gocong as a backup plan. The target all along might have been Schlegel. We have no reason to believe otherwise other then a couple articles speculating without any legit evidence behind it.

We saw pretty clearly in the 06 Draft that Matt Leinart was convinced he was going to be selected by the Jets because he began pouting when he wasn't. Why am I bringing this up? Because it's very possible that that's what would have happened to Gocong because even if he was available at our pick, there is still a good chance that we would have passed him up.

And really, why all the fuss about Gocong, He was crap for the Eagles this year anyways.
    Last edited by Ven0m; 01-04-2008 at 12:04 PM.

I didnt like Schlegal, he was unathletic and slow for a LB. I remember everyone on the draft show talking about how much of a reach that guy was, that he would of been there in the 7th round.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    I didnt like Schlegal, he was unathletic and slow for a LB. I remember everyone on the draft show talking about how much of a reach that guy was, that he would of been there in the 7th round.
    And like the article I posted mentioned, there were other people who thought he was a value pick there. Value is relative. Just because some people doesn't think the guy is worth much doesn't mean that everybody feels that way.

I've heard several people try and say that Brian Brohm should be a third rounder, other people say he's a legit Top 10 pick. So if he gets drafted at #15 he would be a bargain in some eyes and a reach in others. It happens all the time.

All Pro
    Schlegal?

Mistake, yes...biggest blunder, no. Let's face it, it's a third round pick. You cut ties, take your losses, move on, and recover.

At this point, Ferguson is turning out to be Tangini's "biggest blunder." Obviously, it is very early in his career and he can still develop, but as of right now, he is 100% average at best and being paid like an elite NFL player.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    We'll know if the Jets take a QB at 6.

If the Jets select a QB with their 1st round pick, then 4 of Tangini's first 5 picks of the 2006 were their biggest blunder.

Tangini had 5 picks in the first 3 rounds of the 2006 draft and came away with only 1 undeniably good player. That's a pathetic job of drafting.
    What is this? Since when did we have a bad draft?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Rhodes View Post
    What is this? Since when did we have a bad draft?
    lol not only is it ridiculous, but you dont judge drafts after 2 years.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by KoolJet View Post
    lol not only is it ridiculous, but you dont judge drafts after 2 years.
    lol, I actually had to read it twice because I didnt understand what he was talking about.

I think people are running out of stuff to complain about--Its been a longgggg season of complaining about the jets.

All League
    lol, I actually had to read it twice because I didnt understand what he was talking about.

I think people are running out of stuff to complain about--Its been a longgggg season of complaining about the jets.
    True. And just to clarify what I said: you can certainly judge a draft 2 years later (you can judge it the day after if you'd like), but you dont close the books on it so soon - like SMC just did.

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Believe Gil Brandt reported the same

Hall Of Fame

I didn't say they had a bad draft. So you needed to read it a 3rd time. The point is, that if Mangini gives up on Clemens already and drafts a QB in the 1st round in 2008 then the 2006 draft takes a dark turn based on the first 5 picks in 3 rounds.

1a. D'Brick. Question mark at best.
    1b. Mangold. Good.
    2. Clemens. Bust (assuming Mangini gives up on him after 7 games)
    3a. Schlegal. Bust.
    3b. Smith. Rotation at best.

That's 5 picks in the 1st 3 rounds and only 1 pick is undeniably good. Isn't that a "bad" job? Address that Kerry.
    Last edited by SMC; 01-04-2008 at 02:56 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    True. And just to clarify what I said: you can certainly judge a draft 2 years later (you can judge it the day after if you'd like), but you dont close the books on it so soon - like SMC just did.
    Kool, see my post above. I'm not the one closing the book on the draft, Mangini would be if he drafts a QB in the first round of the 2008 draft.

How can you deny that? Mangini would have given up on his 2nd round pick after 7 games after already releasing his 3rd rounder and using his second 3rd rounder only on a limited basis.

Again, my point was hypothetical based on what Mangini does in the 1st round.

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    No he didn't.

He said: "if the Jets take a QB at 6". Which would mean they don't think highly of Clemens. Clemens not panning out and D'Brick continuing his trend of averageness doesn't bold well for the 06 draft, considering we had 3 picks in the first 37. Even Mangold, who is a good player, doesn't play a position of extreme draft day value..

If that were to happen, the only redeeming quality will be the chip we gained from trading back in rd 2 that helped us land Harris. (which is a big fat redeeming quality btw)

All League
    Kool, see my post above. I'm not the one closing the book on the draft, Mangini would be if he drafts a QB in the first round of the 2008 draft.

How can you deny that? Mangini would have given up on his 2nd round pick after 7 games after already releasing his 3rd rounder and using his second 3rd rounder only on a limited basis.

Again, my point was hypothetical based on what Mangini does in the 1st round.
    Ok, I see. But the Jets wont take a QB at #6. jmo

All Pro
    I didn't say they had a bad draft. So you needed to read it a 3rd time. The point is, that if Mangini gives up on Clemens already and drafts a QB in the 1st round in 2008 then the 2006 draft takes a dark turn based on the first 5 picks in 3 rounds.

1a. D'Brick. Question mark at best.
    1b. Mangold. Good.
    2. Clemens. Bust (assuming Mangini gives up on him after 7 games)
    3a. Schlegal. Bust.
    3b. Smith. Rotation at best.

That's 5 picks in the 1st 3 rounds and only 1 pick is undeniably good. Isn't that a "bad" job. Address that Kerry.
    So Your saying Crennel closed the book on his QB situation once he drafted Quinn?

Because It was Derek Anderson who they got off Waivers that took them to near playoff contention.

They have been drafting well...Stop looking for reasons to complain.

All Pro
    If this is the worst move in the draft that Tangini has made that means his drafts have been pretty good. Hope this holds over to free agency and the rest of the off season