Thread: My top priorities 08'

Undrafted Free Agent

My top priorities 08'

#1 Sign Michael Turner (25 years old) cut Thomas Jones (30 years old).

#2 Sign these OL:

Alan Faneca: Yes he is 31 years old with 10 years of experience and played with the Steelers. We need some experience and this guy is pretty solid, and we might get 4 more good years from him

Ruben Brown: He might be done, but we could squeeze one solid year and help the running game.

Nat Dorsey (Browns) 24 years old, huge 335 pounder OT.

Other options: Start J. Bender, Draft picks (we need experience OL)

#3 Trade Wilma for #4 round pick and Bernard Berrian (WR) from the Bears. Berrian had some decent yardage considering the Bears QB turmoil, we are cutting "hands of steel" he could compete for a starting job.

#4 Jared Allen (25 years old, Chiefs) 15.5 sacks, do I need to say anything else? Open the checkbook!!

#5 Trade down #6 pick for multiple picks.
    Last edited by Sergeant First Class; 01-23-2008 at 11:34 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Formerly RidgeJetsFan

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant First Class View Post
    #1 Sign Michael Turner cut Thomas Jones.
    Not even worth reading past this statement....

- Justin

All League
    jones is fine we don't need turner

for the oline get andrewes, lilja and/or bell

don't want berrian but if we can trade vilma. sign wilford for wr

don't think allen will be available

would be nice to trade down. if mcfadden falls cowboys might be interested

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by RidgeJetsFan View Post
    Not even worth reading past this statement....

- Justin
    Post your brilliant ideas, I like to keep an open mind, please help my lack of football knowledge.

Hall Of Fame
    Post your brilliant ideas, I like to keep an open mind, please help my lack of football knowledge.
    for one thing, turner is going to get a huge payday.

All League
    Dude your crazy or else you've taken a week's worth or Ritalin in one doze.

First, you don't cut a solid RB in Jones for a unproven (in FT duty) RB in Turner. The cap hit in cutting Jones would be cost prohibitive, and further than those two points is that -when and if we improve our O-line, Jones will run for 1,500+ yds easy.

I am all for signing Faneca even if it costs us. His experience that will benefit both D-brick and Mangold is worth it, let alone his pro-bowl ability for the next three years.

Nat Dorsey is a solid tackle in this league - but the browns have great cap space, and will probably sign him during the FA period. If not; solid addition at the RT spot.

Berrian has been rumored on this site as the next best thing. He surely has the speed to seperate and spread the defense. The question becomes with Coles and Cothery both making close to 5.5m a year each, do we spend another 4m per year to sign our slot receiver? And any ideas of getting rid of Coles is ridiculous simply because he's our best offensive player bar none.
    The Vilma trade makes sense on paper, but I'm not sure why the Bears would be interested in a MLB when they have the best MLB in the league in Urlachaer. Unless your interested in moving him to the OLB position in the 34 which he could easily do. Slim chances on that but I like it in theory.

J Allen had a solid year no doubt. But if you look at his track record his 16 sacks is his career high, and he will command a 4-5 year 50m contract. He's a 43 guy, never played 34 in his life and definately not at Idaho State. Should we pay a 43 guy coming of a career year 50m to play a 34 technique?
    I think not, we can use that same money and maybe a little more and go after Suggs for all that money, at least with Suggs we know he can play OLB and DE I'm not sure we can say the same with Allen.

Depending on what we achieve during the FA period it may make sense to trade down and get another 2nd or 3rd rounder.

All Pro
    Isn't Berrian going to be a FA??

JetsInsider.com Legend
    You're going to get crushed repeatedly on your first point...

All Pro
    RB is not an issue. Jones had over 1000 yards behind a crap line.

Hall Of Fame
    Yeah running back is an issue. Thomas Jones is a decent back but he has zero big play breakaway threat, lousy o-line or not.

You can't just cut him however as I would assume it would be a nasty cap hit. I have no problem with going after a younger big play back but Turner might be too expensive. I'd keep my eye on the draft as there are alot of good backs and there might be some later round steals to be had.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Yeah running back is an issue. Thomas Jones is a decent back but he has zero big play breakaway threat, lousy o-line or not.
    Obviously you have NOT seen his biceps.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post

You can't just cut him however as I would assume it would be a nasty cap hit. I have no problem with going after a younger big play back but Turner might be too expensive. I'd keep my eye on the draft as there are alot of good backs and there might be some later round steals to be had.
    You need a Big Play WR..our Two RB's are very good.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse View Post
    First, you don't cut a solid RB in Jones for a unproven (in FT duty) RB in Turner. The cap hit in cutting Jones would be cost prohibitive, and further than those two points is that -when and if we improve our O-line, Jones will run for 1,500+ yds easy.
    100% agree. It's amazing Jones had as good of a year as he did, considering our O-line. I expect big things from Jones, assuming our O-line is improved this year. And for those who keep bringing up his age, remember, Jones has low mileage.

I am all for signing Faneca even if it costs us. His experience that will benefit both D-brick and Mangold is worth it, let alone his pro-bowl ability for the next three years.
    Agreed again, but we have little chance of signing Faneca. He has already stated where he wants to go and it wasn't NY. Maybe a big juicy contract can land him.

Depending on what we achieve during the FA period it may make sense to trade down and get another 2nd or 3rd rounder.
    I think we should wait to see who is on the board when it's our turn to pick. At that point, we are in the catbird seat. If we like a player at #6, then pick him. If not, trade down. Let's not trade before then, because you never know who might possibly fall to us.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

if you're going to waste your time on a mock off season, at least do some research first.

With all due respect Segeant, I seriously doubt that the Jets would trade a second round pick for Thomas Jones and then cut him the next season when many believe he had a solid year considering the OLINE he played behind.

I'm all for signing a big OLINE-MAN.

Mangini and Tannenbaum will build mostly through the draft..............

Jets Insider VIP
    Formerly RidgeJetsFan

Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    With all due respect Segeant, I seriously doubt that the Jets would trade a second round pick for Thomas Jones and then cut him the next season when many believe he had a solid year considering the OLINE he played behind.

I'm all for signing a big OLINE-MAN.

Mangini and Tannenbaum will build mostly through the draft..............
    I agree.

Correction on your point though - we swapped 2nd round picks with Chicago for TJ. We didn't trade away our 2nd rounder for him.

- Justin

All League
    No way we waste money signing Turner when we could be using it to sign Andrews or Suggs. Turner is bigger, stronger, faster and younger than Jones, but he's a 2-down back. He doesn't block well and his receiving skills are mediocre at best. If you want to pay $25 million for that--to the exclusion of any other FAs--be my guest.

Undrafted Free Agent

#2 Sign these OL:

Alan Faneca: Yes he is 31 years old with 10 years of experience and played with the Steelers. We need some experience and this guy is pretty solid, and we might get 4 more good years from him

Ruben Brown: He might be done, but we could squeeze one solid year and help the running game.

Nat Dorsey (Browns) 24 years old, huge 335 pounder OT.

Other options: Start J. Bender, Draft picks (we need experience OL)

#3 Trade Wilma for #4 round pick and Bernard Berrian (WR) from the Bears. Berrian had some decent yardage considering the Bears QB turmoil, we are cutting "hands of steel" he could compete for a starting job.

#4 Jared Allen (25 years old, Chiefs) 15.5 sacks, do I need to say anything else? Open the checkbook!!

#5 Trade down #6 pick for multiple picks.

Stick to your day job

Veteran
    I wanted Turner last year but I'm satisfied with Jones and the contract.

Sign O linemen at all costs - agree.

The KC Chief is their best player (including LJ) and he'll never be allowed to go. Depending on the age and injury history if he projects better than Howie Longs kid maybe a trade can be worked out for the 6th pick for Allen and the KC 2nd or 3rd roounder. But only if he's like 24.

Berrian doesn't excite me - he's McCarriens II. An unpolished WR to add to our aging, injured and average group.