Thread: London games tentatively announced

All Pro

London games tentatively announced

Saints Vs. Chargers - Supposed to be a Saints home game.

http://chargers.com/news/headlines/nfl-expected-to.htm

Chargers President Dean Spanos said he was “cautiously optimistic” that NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell will announce next week that the Chargers will play a 2008 regular-season game in London, England. The game, which would be only the second regular-season game ever played outside of North America, would be against one of the Chargers’ road opponents.

“The Commissioner and I talked about two and half months ago and we talked again as recently as last week,” said Spanos, a member of the NFL’s International Committee. “Should this occur, we would welcome the opportunity.”

“This would be a positive announcement in a number of ways. First, it shows that the Chargers clearly have become one of the NFL’s marquee franchises; a team with a strong following that the League is proud of. Second, it would be good exposure for our organization, for the players and for the city of San Diego. And finally, I believe it would give the team added experience from playing in another big game.”

I'm not a fan of the London games. I personally don't think it's fair that one team loses a home game.

Jets Insider VIP
    Formerly RidgeJetsFan

Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    I'm not a fan of the London games. I personally don't think it's fair that one team loses a home game.
    +1.

I don't see the need for the NFL to do this. Their league is gigantic enough - they do not need the international exposure.

The NFL is and always will be an American sport. We already have MLB, NBA, NHL, and golf to cater to the international sports fan.

- Justin

Rookie
    I dont get it if the NFL wants to put games in Europe then why did they get rid of NFL Europe?

Rookie
    The season ticket holders should file a lawsuit against the NFL for stealing a home game from them!!!!!!!!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsPhoto View Post
    I dont get it if the NFL wants to put games in Europe then why did they get rid of NFL Europe?
    NFL Europe was unwatchable, who wants to watch 3rd tier talent? I don't. Why do you think soccer in the US is rubbish? All the talent is in Europe.

Hall Of Fame
    There are too few home games to do this to fans. I'd pee myself if it were the Jets and get to see them, but it's not cool for all the season ticket holders who wait years and pay mucho $$$$

All League
    Charter JI Member

That is one serious road trip for the chargers.

I would suspect it is over 6,000 miles one way from SD to London

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    That is one serious road trip for the chargers.

I would suspect it is over 6,000 miles one way from SD to London
    I wonder if the trip would be shorter for the Chargers if they flew west from San Diego instead of east.

All Pro
    They''ll never take to the NFL just like we'll never take to Soccer..Wast of time. The NFL is better off trying to expand into Canada.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009fatman View Post
    They''ll never take to the NFL just like we'll never take to Soccer..Wast of time. The NFL is better off trying to expand into Canada.
    Toronto could defiantly support an NFL team, but the Bills would not be too happy about it, they have a huge fan base in and around Toronto.

The Toronto Moose, anyone?
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 01-27-2008 at 02:48 PM.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RidgeJetsFan View Post
    +1.

I don't see the need for the NFL to do this. Their league is gigantic enough - they do not need the international exposure.

The NFL is and always will be an American sport. We already have MLB, NBA, NHL, and golf to cater to the international sports fan.

- Justin
    The NFL doesnt make money off of the MLB, NBA, and NHL international revenue.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    I wonder if the trip would be shorter for the Chargers if they flew west from San Diego instead of east.
    No.

And thus concludes another episode of Simple Answers to Stupid Questions.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Saints Vs. Chargers - Supposed to be a Saints home game.

http://chargers.com/news/headlines/nfl-expected-to.htm
    A Saints home game? Weren't they forced to have a "home" game against the Giants at the Meadowlands during the year of Katrina?

So let me get this straight, since that ridiculous Giants "@" Saints game, the Giants played an overseas game last year but got it as a road game (didn't sacrifice a home game), while the Saints would play the overseas game this year--and sacrifice a home game yet again. Just wow

Quote Originally Posted by JetsPhoto View Post
    Please tell me this is a joke. NFL Europe was horrible.

The NFL is a lot more popular over here than you guys think and I know a lot of very knowledgable fans in the UK. It will never replace soccer but no one said it ever would.

I was hoping the Jets Seahawks game would have been selected, that would have been awesome.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtracey10 View Post
    Please tell me this is a joke. NFL Europe was horrible.

The NFL is a lot more popular over here than you guys think and I know a lot of very knowledgable fans in the UK. It will never replace soccer but no one said it ever would.

I was hoping the Jets Seahawks game would have been selected, that would have been awesome.
    I'd rather the rates of international viewers grow slower than have NFL teams lose a home game. That's not equitable. But of course, it's all about $$