Thread: Gregg Williams to Jax

Hall Of Fame

Gregg Williams to Jax

PFT is saying Williams has been hired as DC.

POSTED 2:13 p.m. EST; UPDATED 2:34 p.m. EST, February 5, 2008

REPORT: GREGG WILLIAMS TO JAGS by Michael David Smith

Jacksonville radio station 1010XL is reporting that the Jaguars have added former Redskins assistant head coach-defense Gregg Williams to their coaching staff.

Williams will reportedly get the title of defensive coordinator and assistant head coach. He replaces Mike Smith, who left Jacksonville to become head coach of the Atlanta Falcons.

According to the station, the team is not planning to make an official announcement for at least another day.

A Buddy Ryan disciple, Williams has long had a reputation as one of the best defensive game planners in the business. Williams spent the last four seasons as Joe Gibbs' top assistant with the Redskins and was at one point considered the front-runner to get the head-coaching job when Gibbs retired, but after multiple interviews for the job, he and Redskins owner Daniel Snyder agreed that Williams would go elsewhere.

Several other teams, including the Cowboys, were said to be interested in adding Williams to their coaching staffs.
    http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Hall Of Fame
    Good move by Del Rio. The Jags defense won't miss a beat.

Banned
    Williams is a better DC then Mike Smith...IMO. I think he is definitely a better schemer.

Great signing for them. That team has a lot of good coaches on it.

All Pro
    and here we sit with Bob Sutton still as our DC-he should have at least been brought in for a visit-a good defensive mind LIKE a Greg Willliams can adapt from a 4-3 to a 3-4....business as usual in Jetsland...procrastination and inaction

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFlaJets View Post
    and here we sit with Bob Sutton still as our DC-he should have at least been brought in for a visit-a good defensive mind LIKE a Greg Willliams can adapt from a 4-3 to a 3-4....business as usual in Jetsland...procrastination and inaction
    If Rob Ryan's contract is up next year, I expect Mangini to sit tight with Sutton. I think Ryan is the guy Mangini really wants for the job.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    If Rob Ryan's contract is up next year, I expect Mangini to sit tight with Sutton. I think Ryan is the guy Mangini really wants for the job.
    we went back to Parcells doing what he did to Charlie Weiss in 99 with Sutton this year-BP took Fat Charlie's playbook away from him and started calling all the plays-Mangini had to do the same thing with Sutton in '07

Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post

You may be right. In that case. We need to hypnotize Sutton into thinking that the 1st game of the year is really the first game after the bye week. Cause that's when Jets stop playing consevatively on D. And start to open it up with more aggressive schemes. And this always results in better play on D.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    You may be right. In that case. We need to hypnotize Sutton into thinking that the 1st game of the year is really the first game after the bye week. Cause that's when Jets stop playing consevatively on D. And start to open it up with more aggressive schemes. And this always results in better play on D.
    Mangini took a bigger role in the defense after the bye GR-when Sutton was unable to adapt and/or motivate the defensive players-THAT'S when the D started to "get it"

All Pro
    Mangini took a bigger role in the defense after the bye GR-when Sutton was unable to adapt and/or motivate the defensive players-THAT'S when the D started to "get it"
    This notion has been challenged as a myth. What evidence is there that Mangini took a "more active" role in managing the D? Did he run the meetings? no. Did he run the practices? no. Did he devise the game plan? allegedly, no. This whole notion is nothing more than someone's conjecture that has been exaggerated into a false reality. If anyone out there has concrete proof (i.e. quotes form the Jets players or staff, NOT from any of the less-than-truthful beat reporters), please provide to us.

Ok. Then we need to hypnotize Mangini that the bye week is here. Before the first game of the season. And now it's time to take over the D.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    This notion has been challenged as a myth. What evidence is there that Mangini took a "more active" role in managing the D? Did he run the meetings? no. Did he run the practices? no. Did he devise the game plan? allegedly, no. This whole notion is nothing more than someone's conjecture that has been exaggerated into a false reality. If anyone out there has concrete proof (i.e. quotes form the Jets players or staff, NOT from any of the less-than-truthful beat reporters), please provide to us.
    I heard it on SNY during the season from Lucas and Buttle DC-also, that weird formation where everybody is standing around NOT letting the QB know who was going to be where was devised by the players themselves Ellis and Barton I believe in particular

Banned
    The Jaguars are going to be a popular Super Bowl pick next season.