Thread: FA Signings

FA Signings

So whats your wish list?

I got:

- OLB Suggs (Ravens) > DUH.
    - WR Johnson (Cardinals) > Big Target with good speed.
    - OG Smiley (49ers) > Pretty good guard. Pro Bowl Talent according to Tommie Harris.
    - NT Sopoaga (49ers) > 330+ pounds, played nose tackle in San Fran. Very Strong.
    - DE Douglas (49ers) > Very good against the run, disruptive, makes plays behind the LOS.
    - WR Berrian (Bears) > Pure deep threat / slot receiver. Great spead, small, inconsistent hands.
    - WR Carter (Panthers) > Same here. Tall receiver with great spead. Pure deep threat.
    - OG Faneca (Steelers) > Getting old, still one of the best at his position.
    - OT Wharton (Panthers) > Plays LT but can also play RT.
    - DE Kelly (Raiders) > Very good 3-4 DE, can also play 4-3 DT. Good vs the run, can rush the passer.
    - DE Williams (Packers) > Same here. Could excel in the 3-4 at DE.
    - OLB Briggs (Bears) > 4-3 OLB could make the move to 3-4 ILB. Great against the run, makes plays. Struggles against the pass.
    - CB Florence (Chargers) > Big guy who likes getting physical. Good speed and solid man cover skills.

Banned
    All the guys I want in FA, I believe will be signed or taged

Here's my realistic...

Alan Faneca, OG. My number one priority this offseason. Best in the league. Still 5 years left at a high level. Brings veteran leadership to a young line...my prediction is we draft a RT...Alan is the guy you want next to him. Move Brandon Moore over.

Asante Samuel, CB I think we have a legitmate shot at him. Revis/Samuel/Rhodes/Elam. People talk about pass rush, pass rush, pass rush...we'll in this scheme you need CB's who can play on an island in order for LB's to take chances. Samuel knows the system. We play the Pats twice a year...he would be a HUGE addition.

Bernard Berrian, WR. A burner. A downfield threat that would give us an aresnal at WR. Athletic. Makes great grabs. At 6-1, jumps and get the ball.

Those are the 3 guys that are going to be tough to get...but with in reason.

Guys I would be very pleased with...

OG Ryan Lilja
    OG Justin Smiley
    OT Stacy Andrews
    WR Doug Gabriel
    WR D.J. Hackett
    DL Grady Jackson
    DL Bobby McCray
    LB Lance Briggs
    LB Calvin Pace
    CB Drayton Florence
    CB Randall Gay
    Last edited by JiF; 02-12-2008 at 08:23 PM.

Veteran
    Justin Smiley is at the top of my list. He wont break the bank, is very good, and is about 26-27 years old. He also addresses the biggest need IMO.

The jets can then sepend their second round pick on a right tackle and in theory have an oline that is miles ahead of last year. If Thomas Jones finished 9th in the league in rushing behind a terrible line, imagine what he will do with a good one?

I dont know much about Sopoaga, but if he is any good he would be worth a look.

I also like the Bears two free agents, Briggs and Berrian. Both just turned 27 and have 4-5 good seasons ahead of them. Berrian caught 900 yards and Briggs was second on the bears in tackles.

A Coles-Cothery-Berrian WR tandem is in the top 3 of the NFL. Conversely, a Briggs-Harris LB duo would be close to a Briggs-Urlacher.

On the expensive side of the spectrum, I would not mind picking up Asante Samuel.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JiF View Post
    All the guys I want in FA, I believe will be signed or taged

Here's my realistic...

Alan Faneca, OG. My number one priority this offseason. Best in the league. Still 5 years left at a high level. Brings veteran leadership to a young line...my prediction is we draft a RT...Alan is the guy you want next to him. Move Brandon Moore over.

Asante Samuel, CB I think we have a legitmate shot at him. Revis/Samuel/Rhodes/Elam. People talk about pass rush, pass rush, pass rush...we'll in this scheme you need CB's who can play on an island in order for LB's to take chances. Samuel knows the system. We play the Pats twice a year...he would be a HUGE addition.

Bernard Berrian, WR. A burner. A downfield threat that would give us an aresnal at WR. Athletic. Makes great grabs. At 6-1, jumps and get the ball.

Those are the 3 guys that are going to be tough to get...but with in reason.

I was thinking the same thing as you. However, I'd rather have Smiley because he is younger and cheaper. Faneca is probably going to get a huge deal from someone. I rather give Berrian and Samuel big deals, and then Smiley a decent deal.

Then spend the first two picks on LB/DE and RT

Veteran
    I want no part of Ryan Lilja. At guard I want a monster road grader.

I was high on signing Dave Stewart for RT but I think the Titans already gave him a 1st and 3rd round tender as an RFA.

Mike Wahle is intriguing who's a bit bigger than Lilja and more important, taller also and is a run blocker 1st.

My wish list:

Billy Volek
    Chris Brown
    Marques Douglas
    Bobby McCray

I like McCray as well, don't know if he'll be able to play OLB though. He looks too "stiff".

I dont think we will be able to sign Samuel AND Faneca though. Both of them will ask for 20+ million in guaranteed money i believe, that's a lot of though. Rhodes needs a new contract as well, then you add in the 6th ovr pick.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario View Post
    I was thinking the same thing as you. However, I'd rather have Smiley because he is younger and cheaper. Faneca is probably going to get a huge deal from someone. I rather give Berrian and Samuel big deals, and then Smiley a decent deal.

Then spend the first two picks on LB/DE and RT
    I dont know what makes everyone think that Smiley is going to come so cheap. Do you really think that we know something that agents dont know aobut there players? Smiley is going to get paid market price...which unfortunatley for us has gone up considerably as of late especially for OG's.

He wont be asking Faneca money. But he wont be "cheap" either.

Undrafted Free Agent
    I live in North Carolina and see the Panthers play every week. Drew Carter is a decent 3rd or 4th receiver, but Travelle Wharton is a complete bum!

No big FA contracts ! Lets get to .500 before gambling big money on a FA.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by newjet View Post
    Unless we fill the team with proven talent and not 2nd-tier Patriots castoffs, we're not gonna see even .500 for AWHILE.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by newjet View Post
    You have to spend money to improve the team. We went 10-6 in 2006 and didn't gamble any big money on a FA and look where that put us. We need to cough up the cash every once in a while.

Practice Squad
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL by way of Brentwood, New York.
    Faneca

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JiF View Post
    I dont know what makes everyone think that Smiley is going to come so cheap. Do you really think that we know something that agents dont know aobut there players? Smiley is going to get paid market price...which unfortunatley for us has gone up considerably as of late especially for OG's.

He wont be asking Faneca money. But he wont be "cheap" either.
    Cheap, only in comparison to Faneca. Faneca might be the best guard in the NFL. Smiley is a top tier guard, but not top 5.

I dont think the money would be there for Faneca and Samuel. However, since Smiley would be cheaper, it would be possible to sign Smiley and Samuel.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    So whats your wish list?

I got:
    - OG Smiley (49ers) > Pretty good guard. Pro Bowl Talent according to Tommie Harris.
    - NT Sopoaga (49ers) > 330+ pounds, played nose tackle in San Fran. Very Strong.
    - DE Douglas (49ers) > Very good against the run, disruptive, makes plays behind the LOS.
    Smiley - nowhere close to Pro Bowl talent. Good technique and feet, but soft as a sponge, weak and can't handle the bullrush well or runblock well. I'm so happy he's a free agent. Baas is far superior, and has shown it everytime he's replaced him. Trust me, you don't want this guy if you want to run a power scheme.

Sopoaga - LOTS of potential, but not adept at learning technique. Not really an ideal NT due to not being able to grasp two-gapping all that well, but a very ideal LE due to his power, size and super athleticism. I hope the 49ers re-sign him.

Douglas - He's a very very good player, but lacks size (only like 280-290 lbs). GREAT technique and non-stop motor. If he were ever to sign with the Jets, he'd be instantly the best lineman. Only problem is his age.
    Last edited by 49ersJetsfan; 02-13-2008 at 12:31 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Cheap, only in comparison to Faneca. Faneca might be the best guard in the NFL. Smiley is a top tier guard, but not top 5.

I dont think the money would be there for Faneca and Samuel. However, since Smiley would be cheaper, it would be possible to sign Smiley and Samuel.
    I doubt it, Samuel is going to get Clements money, 10/yr w/20-25 guaranteed, Smiley will get Randy Thomas money, 4-5/yr is minimum starter FA money, we also have to sign rhodes long term along with a #6 pick signing which is another 17-18 guaranteed with 6-7/yr.

That's a lot of Woody's money you're spending.

Also we can't afford to bust our cap soon. I'd wait for a better FA crop, oh yeah we're not the only teams with cap room. Teams like GB, and SD have tons of it, where would I rather play, in Lambeau with Brett Favre, with Ladanian Tomlinson i the San Diego weather, or I should come to the Jets and put up with Mangini's training camps and enjoy being the 4th team in town.
    Last edited by IM3; 02-13-2008 at 12:38 AM.

Smiley is a top tier guard, but not top 5.
    Where do people get the idea that he is a top tier guard? Have you even watched the 49ers over the past few seasons? He's mediocre.

This year, he was BY FAR our worst offensive lineman. He couldn't block anyone in the passing or running games. He screwed over Heitmann who too often had to leave his assignment to neutralize the DT tearing through Smiley like tissue paper. And when Smiley got injured for the rest of the season, the interior blocking suddenly became pretty good due to Baas' presence. Gore started getting holes to run through, the QBs didn't have to worry about getting smashed in the face.