Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: McFadden "backers": I'm just not getting it?

McFadden "backers": I'm just not getting it?

For those posters that are seriously following the pre draft stuff please explain to me why McFadden would be the choice at 6.

I am just not getting it.

"Lageman" was nice enough to post a link in a thread about the NFL COMBINE.

The link had a vidoe hosted by Maylock describing the top RBs. He did not like McFadden for many reasons including his body type.

I am dead against McFadden at 6.

We should trade the pick to a team desperate enough to take him. This draft seems to have a lot of value in the second to third round. IMHO, we need to take advantage of this. Use all our chips in trades to gain more picks to "build" the team the way Mangini sees it.

McFadden is an exciting player but IMHO doesnt help us as much as what the draft picks he could get us might bring.

My reasons for not choosing McFadden:

- His lower body is to small and goes down on the first hit. (Please see Lageman thread with the "combine" link attached). I've said this all along. IMHO, He doest seem to have the "lower body" to take NFL hits for 16 games. Maylock even metions this in his draft preiew.

- IMHO, a great running back can be the "product" of a great OLINE. With D'Brick and Mangold in place, the Jets have an opportunity to create a dominating line for years to come. Sign Stacy and draft Long (if he's there) or the best available OL trading down and our OLINE issues become a thing of the past. A conventional thought in building a team starts with the OLINE. This justifies the choice.

- We have a better than average RB in T Jones that was the 10th leading rusher in the NFL last season running behind the worst OLINE.

- We have a backup RB that made tremendous strides from his rookie year to year two in the league. In a season where our OLINE was dreadful Leon Washington lead the team with three rushing TDs. Are we really going to draft a top RB and put Leon totally on the bench as the third RB? Seems pretty foolish when building a team to put your MVP totally out of the game plan. Leon may be a "star" in development (see Westbrooks career in Philly) but if the Jets draft McFadden we may never find out. For all those claiming we dont have a "home run threat" on the team I say, why cant it be Washington? All he's done is produce. I'd take my chances on him............he's a winner.

- McFadden has been arrested as recent as a month ago. How foolish is this player to put himself in a situation like that? Are we really going to take a chance on a player that got himself arrested after a year inwhich all of us INCLUDING MCFADDEN witnessed Michael Vick and Pac Man Jones hurt themselves and their teams because of off field issues?

Again, McFadden "backers", what am I "not getting" that you would invest such a high pick in a player/position that doesnt seem to help the "bigger picture?"
    Last edited by copernicus; 02-17-2008 at 02:24 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Great, well thought out post, coper.

Personally I don't think we'll have to make this choice in the first place. Hopefully someone takes DMC in the Top 5 but if he does manage to slip to us, then I'm all in favor of calling up Cowboys management immediately and setting up a trade scenario.

Our main emphasis, without question, has to be on the O-line and front seven.

We need an OG. We need a RT. We need a NT. We need a passrushing OLB.

What we don't need is a RB.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Great, well thought out post, coper.

Personally I don't think we'll have to make this choice in the first place. Hopefully someone takes DMC in the Top 5 but if he does manage to slip to us, then I'm all in favor of calling up Cowboys management immediately and setting up a trade scenario.

Our main emphasis, without question, has to be on the O-line and front seven.

We need an OG. We need a RT. We need a NT. We need a passrushing OLB.

What we don't need is a RB.
    Thanks Untouchable, your response is always repected around here.

Did you see Maylocks vid clip on the Oline-men coming out in this draft?

I would love for the Jets to gain an extra pick in the top 2 rounds to land an "extra" one of these guys.

Maylock LOVES Albert from Virginia. Just another "stud" in a class of what looks like great OLINE-MEN.

Clik here: NFL Events: Combine
    Last edited by copernicus; 02-17-2008 at 02:48 PM.

McFadden is a name that people identify with... The fans who basically only see Sportscenter highlights tend to believe he is a guy you cant pass up on.

His style doesn't suit the NFL at all and he won't even be a good back, let alone a great one. WOuld be such a wasted pick.

Banned
    I don't want McFadden at all, but I DO hope he is there at #6, for the reasons some posters have already said. Look at what our role model, the Pats, was able to get out of another team falling in love with a player, and to a lesser extent even the Cowboys got an improved pick for trading with the Browns.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    McFadden is a name that people identify with... The fans who basically only see Sportscenter highlights tend to believe he is a guy you cant pass up on.

His style doesn't suit the NFL at all and he won't even be a good back, let alone a great one. WOuld be such a wasted pick.
    Thanks for the response 1983.

I am not sure if I feel that strong a "dislike" for McFadden because there are knowledgable football people in the media and on this board who "love" his game.

I really dont like him with the Jets. IMHO, he is not what we need.

You are correct with many fans getting "caught up" with the Sportcenter highlights of McFadden.

What is perplexing to me is that there are so many knowledgable fans that think he is a good fit and I am just not understanding if I'm missing something.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Did you see Maylocks vid clip on the Oline-men coming out in this draft?

I would love for the Jets to gain an extra pick in the top 2 rounds to land an "extra" one of these guys.

Maylock LOVES Albert from Virginia. Just another "stud" in a class of what looks like great OLINE-MEN.

Clik here: NFL Events: Combine
    I like Albert as well.

I see a lot of Cavs games out here and he has the makings of a very solid OG. He'll probably never be a pro-bowler, but he'll be a rock solid starter for many years.

Let's also not forget that Albert also has chemistry playing next to Brick.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I like Albert as well.

I see a lot of Cavs games out here and he has the makings of a very solid OG. He'll probably never be a pro-bowler, but he'll be a rock solid starter for many years.

Let's also not forget that Albert also has chemistry playing next to Brick.
    Excellent point.

Interesting what D'Bricks "input" (if anything) would be towards drafting this player.

It makes sense...........

Really nice thread cope...I have some of the same issues with McFadden.

McFadden, Ellis, Jake Long, Dorsey, all elite players, but not one is considered a home run perfect fit across the board this year. Even C Long has some distracters.

Combine this with a weak overall draft leads to a lot of questions...

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    For those posters that are seriously following the pre draft stuff please explain to me why McFadden would be the choice at 6.

The link had a vidoe hosted by Maylock describing the top RBs. He did not like McFadden for many reasons including his body type.

We should trade the pick to a team desperate enough to take him. This draft seems to have a lot of value in the second to third round. IMHO, we need to take advantage of this. Use all our chips in trades to gain more picks to "build" the team the way Mangini sees it.

McFadden is an exciting player but IMHO doesnt help us as much as what the draft picks he could get us might bring.

- His lower body is to small and goes down on the first hit. (Please see Lageman thread with the "combine" link attached). I've said this all along. IMHO, He doest seem to have the "lower body" to take NFL hits for 16 games. Maylock even metions this in his draft preiew.

- IMHO, a great running back can be the "product" of a great OLINE. With D'Brick and Mangold in place, the Jets have an opportunity to create a dominating line for years to come. Sign Stacy and draft Long (if he's there) or the best available OL trading down and our OLINE issues become a thing of the past. A conventional thought in building a team starts with the OLINE. This justifies the choice.

- We have a better than average RB in T Jones that was the 10th leading rusher in the NFL last season running behind the worst OLINE.

- We have a backup RB that made tremendous strides from his rookie year to year two in the league. In a season where our OLINE was dreadful Leon Washington lead the team with three rushing TDs. Are we really going to draft a top RB and put Leon totally on the bench as the third RB? Seems pretty foolish when building a team to put your MVP totally out of the game plan. Leon may be a "star" in development (see Westbrooks career in Philly) but if the Jets draft McFadden we may never find out. For all those claiming we dont have a "home run threat" on the team I say, why cant it be Washington? All he's done is produce. I'd take my chances on him............he's a winner.

- McFadden has been arrested as recent as a month ago. How foolish is this player to put himself in a situation like that? Are we really going to take a chance on a player that got himself arrested after a year inwhich all of us INCLUDING MCFADDEN witnessed Michael Vick and Pac Man Jones hurt themselves and their teams because of off field issues?

Again, McFadden "backers", what am I "not getting" that you would invest such a high pick in a player/position that doesnt seem to help the "bigger picture?"
    Nice Post. More people on this board should think like you.

All League
    the problem here is, what if you can't trade down..

my feeling is if you can't trade down then what do you do?

I also am in favor of trading down but that is easier said than doen, and with the 10 minute time limit it could become harder for the Jets to get the deal they want.

So if he is there at 6, and the Jets fail to trade down, then I say you have to take him.

Quote Originally Posted by HessStation View Post
    Really nice thread cope...I have some of the same issues with McFadden.

McFadden, Ellis, Jake Long, Dorsey, all elite players, but not one is considered a home run perfect fit across the board this year. Even C Long has some distracters.

Combine this with a weak overall draft leads to a lot of questions...
    Your opinion here is valued greatly Hess

Do you really believe it is an overall weak draft? If so why?

I believe that there is no obvious #1, and many questions through the first five. The middle of the first to the end of the third, IMHO, has much value. It is why I am so in favor of the trade down.

Thanks for the response..........

Hall Of Fame

One video showing weakness vs a college career showing big plays including shredding LSU, the nation al champion.

I'll give you the number 20 pick and a 3rd rounder for the 6 pick. Just saying we should trade the pick doesn't mean other teams want to give us value. If you don't get value for the pick you don't trade it.

Once again, until I see some concrete specifics as to what we would get for that pick I just can't....and no one can say whether the picks would help us.

If you are happy with a starting back that will churn out 80 yards on a good day and never break the big one then fine. If you want to turn some of those 12 yard runs into 60 yard tds you look for a game breaker. Also Leon is a situational back that is great in space but not so good in traffic.

The guy is a game breaker big play guy. I can totally understand if someone does not want to draft him because they don't think he's that good but if you think he stinks, what makes you think other teams are going to jump at the chance to trade value picks for him. Right now the Jets are strictly a long slow drive down the field kind of team. We need someone that is going to take it to the house from a distance.

All Pro
    Good arguments all around

Practice Squad
    So if we were in this spot in last year's draft...

We should have traded down to pick up an extra pick and get that can't miss stud Justin Blalock because Adrian Peterson was a huge injury risk and ran far too upright and was too tall to be an effective NFL RB.

Quote Originally Posted by Bmiggsey View Post
    Nice Post. More people on this board should think like you.
    Thanks Bmiggsey...............

Quote Originally Posted by detr0 View Post
    So if we were in this spot in last year's draft...

We should have traded down to pick up an extra pick and get that can't miss stud Justin Blalock because Adrian Peterson was a huge injury risk and ran far too upright and was too tall to be an effective NFL RB.
    Last year we should not have traded down because the draft was relatively weak and we also went into it with a different mindset.

Going into last years draft we were coming off a playoff season and there were no glaring needs like the OLINE this year.

This present draft has about 7-9 top OLINE-MEN that seem to be as good or better than Justin Blaylock and yes, I would not have chosen Adrian Peterson because of the injury bug, I would have been wrong, somewhat because Peterson got hurt an believe he missed a game. Too close for a season ending injury from a guy that cant stay healthy. Good luck in the future Adrian, I hope you can withstand the pounding.

It is a different draft this year.

Much help through the first three rounds that are at NEED positions for us.

Our OLINE was "putrid" and there are 7-9 really good ones projected to go in the top two rounds.

How I would love to gain an extra pick in this draft at the top of the second round or late first.

How does a trade down for Otah sound and picking up Albert from Virginia with an extra pick sound when it comes to building our OLINE?

It is temping to me.

Now if there were a GREAT defensive player that fell to us I would be inclined to chose him but right now there are too many question marks with the top defensive players when it comes to the 3-4.

Our best choice is OLINE and there are so many good ones at the top that I'd LOVE to take two.

It would be more justified to take OLINE with our top two picks more this year than when D'Brick and Mangold came out.

This draft is stacked with them but they wont be there too long. '

Atleast that is what is predicted.

Use McFadden for the trade down (if possible). McFadden is not the best to come out in years and its a deep class.

All Pro
    I DONT GET IT EITHER

he is not a physical runner like peterson..

but then again, since we have no 0-line and mcfadden has madd speed might aswel get him,

I definitely agree with you about McFadden and I hope we are not in a spot to take him. I just dont seem him being that scary kind of good to justify using the sixth pick on him when there are so many more glaring weaknesses. I dont agree that we have a good situation at RB here, but we can get by with what we have.

All League
    He's going to be a good player who will hit some big home runs. In this weak top of the draft, he's probably the best player.

Even if you dont think McFadden is the answer, I think we all can agree that we need a big time playmaker on offense. McFadden might be that guy, and I think the Jets need to take a risk for once and gamble on a talent like him.

JMO.