Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why It's Great To Be Over 50 Thread

All Pro

Why It's Great To Be Over 50 Thread

1; You were alive to see what was going on in the 60's

2: You lived through the sexual revolution of the 70's when you would screw just to rack up numbers without having to worry about killer diseases

3: You were alive to see the Beatles live on the Ed Sullivan Show

4: not good but still were able to experience what it was like the day JFK was killed

5: you didn't have to lock your doors

6; Hendrix, The Doors, Janis, The Stones (when they were good)

feel free to add on

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFlaJets View Post
    1; You were alive to see what was going on in the 60's

2: You lived through the sexual revolution of the 70's when you would screw just to rack up numbers without having to worry about killer diseases

3: You were alive to see the Beatles live on the Ed Sullivan Show

4: not good but still were able to experience what it was like the day JFK was killed

5: you didn't have to lock your doors

6; Hendrix, The Doors, Janis, The Stones (when they were good)

feel free to add on
    You could pick up an album and every cut was great.

You could buy a new car for under $10K

Got to see some amazing concerts including: Hendrix, Procal Harum, Traffic

Lived thru the Jets winning a Super Bowl and got to see Namath play

Watched the Knicks dominate and the great rivalry of Knicks-Celtics

Great comedians: Richard Pryor, Flip Wilson, Sam Kinison

Used to eat dinner with the family and didn't need mom and dad working to support the family

Gas way below a $1.00 a gallon

Got to see Greenwich Village in the 60's

Bottom Line, Blue Note and jazz on 52nd street

Banned
    You're afraid of technology like answering machines and faxes

You walked up hill to get to and from school

you're only toys were rusty nails and broken glass and YOU LIKED THEM

Practice Squad
    You were young before there were pagers, cell phones, faxes and answering machines so you could easily hide from your boss or girlfriends.

Because there were no answering machines, your office hired a pool of young girls to answer the phones and those were prime hunting grounds.

No drunk driving laws so all the bars were packed. If you got there after 5pm for happy hour you'd have to wait in line.

You didn't have to work out and get ripped just to get laid.

No fake breasts.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Only 7 t.v. channels, no cable, and cartoons were Saturday mornings only.

Baseball cards came with that flat, pink bubble gum and the cards held that bubble gum scent for days. "Extras" were put in the bicycle spokes or traded.

World Series games were all in the daytime and when any of them were played during school days, you were sh*t out of luck unless you had a sympathetic teacher (nun in my case) who would find a t.v. or radio and turn it on for a few minutes. No VHS, DVDs, or Tivo to bail you out.

you saw the man on the moon.

there wasn't the constant barrage of stupid hollywood tricks like paris, britney, etc.

there wasn't the constatnt barrage of stupid laws. the police could actually be reasoned with.

All Pro
    yea the music was MUCH MUCH MUCH better and watching the moon landing and SB 3 live on TV was great

Banned
    yea the music was MUCH MUCH MUCH better and watching the moon landing and SB 3 live on TV was great
    Don't you know that both were staged by the guberment?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by NYSE View Post
    wait the moon landing AND super bowl 3? Damn.....

Banned
    wait the moon landing AND super bowl 3? Damn.....
    same sound stage

if you watch tape from SBIII closely...you can see Namath on some plays is really Sidney Poitier

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by NYSE View Post
    Wow, are you jealous.

As for me, I'll admit that I'm jealous of anyone who was in college from 1967-1969...that mustve been completely surreal and great!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by dcJet View Post
    You were young before there were pagers, cell phones, faxes and answering machines so you could easily hide from your boss or girlfriends.

Because there were no answering machines, your office hired a pool of young girls to answer the phones and those were prime hunting grounds.

No drunk driving laws so all the bars were packed. If you got there after 5pm for happy hour you'd have to wait in line.

You didn't have to work out and get ripped just to get laid.

No fake breasts.
    One of the best JI posts of all time

PS - I remember back in '84, there was this bar called The Library. They had you pay $5 for a 16 oz plastic cup at the door and here was the deal: You could drink all you want for 2 hours THEN they throw you out on the street. So, on fridays we would get there at 5pm and by 7, its was the most drunken room in the history of the western hemisphere :-D This was of course before college buddies forced you to drink just to see who would barf first. All voluntary back then baby. Genuine.

PPS - Queens College had $2 pitchers of Bud/Miller on fridays until '82.

PPPS - A place in Oyster Bay called "Rum Runners" used to have FREE LI Iced Tea PITCHERS from 4pm-6pm on weds back in the early 80's.
    Last edited by Jetman73; 02-22-2008 at 02:09 PM.

All League
    The "Fillmore East" was someplace you might have been. It wasn't for me, but always wish I did when I had the chance.

Funny, I opened this thread to laugh at you old b*st*rds.

But listen, after reading these posts, you had it pretty good.

I'm only 21, and don't get me wrong, we've got some good fun in our generation, but damn, if only I could've been a teenager in the 70's. You had it made!

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Hurrah
    The Mud Club
    The Peppermint Lounge
    Danceteria
    The Nursery

Rorer 714

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by MachineGunFunk View Post
    Funny, I opened this thread to laugh at you old b*st*rds.

But listen, after reading these posts, you had it pretty good.

I'm only 21, and don't get me wrong, we've got some good fun in our generation, but damn, if only I could've been a teenager in the 70's. You had it made!
    do I wish I was 21 now? Yea absolutely-I'd love to re-do my life again especially knowing what I do now and the consequences of my actions then. But yea, it was a great time to grow up. I graduated in 1973 and the world was a LOT different then. I sort of feel sorry for you younger guys too-my daughters too-the only president they've known is a complete and utter buffoon. When I was in kindergarten and 1st grade we used to have drills where we would hide under our desks to try and save ourselves if the Russians dropped the bomb-THAT was a weird thing for a 4-5 year old kid to deal with and understand

Also, I'll say it again-the sexual revolution is something that could never happen now-now THAT was fun

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Cars used leaded gasoline, and a tune up meant buying not only new spark plugs, but points and condenser. Many more guys did their own tuneups and oil changes in their driveways then. Detroit wondered how they lost their butts to the Japanese carmakers, starting in the 70s. But the first car I ever owned, a 1962 Ford Galaxy had no seat belts, a metal dash board, brakes that needed adjusting every 6 months, and an engine where it was impossible to get at the 8th spark plug without hoisting the entire block out of the car. In those days, anyone who got more than 50,000 miles out of their car without major engine or chassis failure was either an automotive do-it-yourself handyman, had a relative who was, or was extremely lucky.

And let's not forget the gasoline shortages of 1973 and '79. So much fun sitting parked behind 20 other cars down the block from the only remaining gas station with petrol, hoping like hell that they, too, didn't run out before it was your turn. $3.20 a gallon may suck, but at least you can get it when you need it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by parkwayjet1 View Post
    And let's not forget the gasoline shortages of 1973 and '79. So much fun sitting parked behind 20 other cars down the block from the only remaining gas station with petrol, hoping like hell that they, too, didn't run out before it was your turn. $3.20 a gallon may suck, but at least you can get it when you need it.
    My life fades. The vision dims. All that remains are memories. I remember a time of chaos. Ruined dreams. This wasted land. But most of all, I remember The Road Warrior. The man we called "Max". To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time. When the world was powered by the black fuel. And the desert sprouted great cities of pipe and steel. Gone now, swept away. For reasons long forgotten, two mighty warrior tribes went to war and touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing. They built a house of straw. The thundering machines sputtered and stopped. Their leaders talked and talked and talked. But nothing could stem the avalanche. Their world crumbled. The cities exploded. A whirlwind of looting, a firestorm of fear. Men began to feed on men. On the roads it was a white line nightmare. Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice. And in this maelstrom of decay, ordinary men were battered and smashed. Men like Max. The warrior Max. In the roar of an engine, he lost everything. And became a shell of a man, a burnt out, desolate man, a man haunted by the demons of his past, a man who wandered out into the wasteland. And it was here, in this blighted place, that he learned to live again...

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Pot readily available and was $35 an oz.........ahem.....or so I was told.

It was nothing to get behind the wheel with a libation for the road.

There was no such thing as "political correctness".

People didn't sue at the drop of a hat. If you did something stupid, it was on you, you couldn't blame anyone else.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    Pot readily available and was $35 an oz.........ahem.....or so I was told.

It was nothing to get behind the wheel with a libation for the road.

There was no such thing as "political correctness".

People didn't sue at the drop of a hat. If you did something stupid, it was on you, you couldn't blame anyone else.

PS - $35? It was $20 an oz. in '79-80 (at least that what my older friends told me )