Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Hear The Silence? No NFL Team Interested In Chad Pennington

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by samwise View Post
    I notice you leave off when KC becomes the starter. He puked on his shoes when he got his opportunity

the more I see these "KC dominated last year" posts, the more I smell fear of CP beating out KC

it's like false bravado, the more people bluster about how CP has no chance, the more I can sense the fear under the surface that posters know darn well CP could beat out KC
    This fear you speak of is real and the real fear is we are years from having a good team because we really suck at the QB position.

Pennington for Quinn

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by jxc View Post
    It's time to close the Chad Pennington chapter in New York. It's what's best for Chad and it's what's best for the New York Jets.

Both Chad and the New York Jets organization would benefit from a fresh start without any baggage.

I agree with this post. Chad still wants a chance to start (which he may still have here) and there will be tremendous fan pressure this year for Clemens to be the starter from beginning to end. A clean break may be best for all parties involved.

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    That part is kinda stupid, isn't it? What would make anyone think that Pennington would be a locker room cancer? Isn't this the guy who was waving the towel for Clemens the entire second half of the season?

He may only be a starter for a handful of teams at this point given how some of his physical abilities have diminished, but I don't think his character has diminished at all.
    Stupid?

Well no..

Maybe you see through rose colored glasses?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    OK. You guys hate Chad so much that you'll stoop to any level I guess. Kelly Holcomb??? This is the same Kelly Holcomb that was 3rd string behind Brooks Bollinger last year? THAT Kelly Holcomb? I can't believe he hasn't been snatched up by now.
    You know what if it was any situation besides the Jets your precious chaddy would be third string also. But because he is a Jet and a starter most people think he would start on other teams. I just don't see it. IMO

If he was orginally drafted by anyone else we would not be saying how he can still start in this league.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    "Cancer" is strong, but we've all seen the interviews with players and read the reports. Chad has a negative impact on the locker room to the only extent that winning is not a priority when Chad is involved.

We've seen the post game interviews with Chad after a crushing loss and he's thrown back breaking INTs. What does he say? He says that he's happy with his performance except for 1 or 2 throws.

He leads the Jets to only 3 points and he says he's happy with his performance.

The Jets have, perhaps, the most devastating loss in franchise history against the Steelers. The heartbreak is visible on the faces of Mawae and Curtis. Where's Chad? He's laughing it up with Big Ben.

Chad never believes he has a bad performance. He NEVER takes responsibility for a bad performance. Watch all his interviews and you'll see it in how striking Chad never seeks to be accountable.

When Chad had a string of bad games last season, the players said they support Chad and Cotchery mentioned that it would be tough to bench Chad because "everyone" in Weeb Ewbank Hall "loves" Chad.

Chad is a great guy, but winning is not his main concern and when he is out there, the team is more worried about hurting people's feelings than holding Chad accountable for his mistakes.
    This season, after the TN game he left his interview with the ominous "The tapes will show what's what" - implying that he was being scapegoated for the Jets problems last year. His father publicly said the same thing in a long anti-Jets rant. Worse yet, he was visibly elated after the TN game as numerous people reported, not cause the Jets won (which they didn't), but because he felt his 24 for 28 checkdown obsessed day proved how good a QB he was..

Besides all this, one only needs to imagine Chad a Jets backup next year. He wants to be the starter, thinks he is a starter and clearly to him, if he's not the starter it's through no fault of his own and certainly not because Kellen might be better. This isn't the type of guy you want backing up a young QB. Particularly with the history of man - Chad love that exists around this team. Some players, coaches, a big portion of the fan base and the media will be quick to jump on his bandwagon should Kellen falter. imo, a sustained QB controversy is never good for a team, and that is what you are getting if Chad stays and doesn't start...

My read is that if Chad is here, he starts. I believe if he doesn't win the Job he will be campaigning to be moved, just in a lot less visible way then Kendall was (he has his image to consider). Eventually Mangini would trade chad out of respect/love or just by being pressured..

Lastly, I think Chad actually has an advantage in this competition. The team is breaking with it's established philosophy of high character guys and building through the draft with homegrown talent. Not only does this signal that they are gearing up to win this season, but the act of being the biggest FA players only adds more pressure to them. With all the SB bonus's shelled out by Woody, I can't imagine he'd stomach another 4-12 season out of Mangini, so in a very real way, I believe Mangini's job is on the line this season and will at least need to be in the playoff picture to the very end.

imo, the only chance Kellen would have is if he came out on fire this off-season and Chad stumbled a bit. Otherwise, Chad is starting. I'd bet its as high as an 80-90% chance at this point

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    real nice !!! i would like to see anyone of u Chad baSHERS PLAYIN IN FRONT OF THAT LINE LAST YEAR !!!! do u all forget that whenever he starts we go to the playoffs!!! i guess not !! i hope JI takes down all the names of the Chad bashers !!! dont jump on the #10 bandwagon next year !!!!
    welcome mrs. pennington are you here to support mr. pennington (gcherd)?

Don't worry Chaddy lost me at the bears game in 06' I will never be on that bandwagon again......

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by CTM View Post

imo, the only chance Kellen would have is if he came out on fire this off-season and Chad stumbled a bit. Otherwise, Chad is starting. I'd bet its as high as an 80-90% chance at this point
    I hope you are correct as the Jets would be looking at another 4-12 season.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by samwise View Post
    then you haven't been a JETS fan long enough

look, I want CP gone, I've posted that many times, but the further away we get from last year, the more posters seem to forget how bad KC was, and he regressed as the season wore on

I hope KC wins because we all know what a devastating blow it would be to suffer another year of chad-ball, but having followed this team for 25 years, I won't believe it until I see it
    Yes, and as Sar said earlier this is why Mangini is responsible for this bungling. He simply never brought in legitimate competition.

If Chad gets the job back it's only because of Clemens ineptitude. No other reason. Had they drafted in 06, we wouldn't be having these debates now..

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    I hope you are correct as the Jets would be looking at another 4-12 season.
    No we're not...

We are looking at 9-10 wins and possible a WC..

In 09 the wheels will fall off, hopefully we have a legitimate alternative by then

Practice Squad
    SAR,

Let me get this right. We've had a fantastic few days and have finally been aggressive in the free agent market that everyone has been hoping for . So what are we talking about (yet again). SAR's infatuation with bashing Pennington. SHUT THE HELL UP. Enough already we get it.

Don't we have enough trolls to stir up bull**** that we don't need more from one of our own (or supposedly). Are you even a Jets fan? I can't tell you how many times I have read your "insights" and wanted to delete my bookmark to this board and forget it exists.

To your fantastic observation, I havent heard anyone talking about the Mannings or Phillip Rivers, does that mean they should try the CFL too? Rediculous. Lets cut Chad and see how many SECONDS it would take for him to get another gig.

You dont like him... we know this... we no longer care... shut up

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    This fear you speak of is real and the real fear is we are years from having a good team because we really suck at the QB position.
    that's the thing, neither one is any good. it's like choosing between rosy o'donnell and roseanne barr

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by CTM View Post

No we're not...

We are looking at 9-10 wins and possible a WC..
    How are you looking at 9 or 10 wins with PennyBoy behind center?

He'll continue to throw those killer pick 6's and the Jets will continue to lose close games.

It is what it is with PennyBoy, hasn't he proved that over the last 6 years?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    How are you looking at 9 or 10 wins with PennyBoy behind center?

He'll continue to throw those killer pick 6's and the Jets will continue to lose close games.

It is what it is with PennyBoy, hasn't he proved that over the last 6 years?
    With and improved offensive line and defense, he won't be put in the position to HAVE to throw...

Which , considering he's a QB, is quite bizarre. But Chad seems to thrive when he doesn't HAVE to throw

on edit: Nothing changed about Chad last year. He was the same QB he's been since 2002. The only difference was the surrounding team had regressed and the competition was generally stiffer.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrenegade View Post
    welcome mrs. pennington are you here to support mr. pennington (gcherd)?
    Wait a cotton pickin' minute..I am Mrs. Pennington; my Chad blow up doll would not appreciate you saying otherwise.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gcherd View Post
    Wait a cotton pickin' minute..I am Mrs. Pennington; my Chad blow up doll would not appreciate you saying otherwise.
    You Chad fans and your sexual ambiguity.

All League
    If Chad beats out Clemens for starting QB then Clemens needs to be cut. From what we saw last year and if he cant beat out Chad the he sucks. I personally hope we draft a QB this year, what we have in Chad and KC is pretty lame and one of our weakest positions. We are not going to get anywhere with the QBs we have on the roster right now, they both seem to suck.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by EY View Post
    Why?

Why does Chad give us the best chance to win? With healthy receivers and the exact same offensive line, he put up less points in more games than Kellen. He also won less games then Kellen...

You can blame the O-line all you want, and it was a huge problem, but he had plenty of time to throw those game ending Pick-6's.

Chad does one thing better then Kellen, complete 3-5 yard passes.

And unless you can legitimately tell me what he did on the field last season that made him such a 'smart QB'. It's BS. He doesn't read a defense, he just goes to his checkdown.

Face it, football is a sport. sports are athletics. athletics require athletes. Chad does not have the physical ability to play the position. His arm is not strong enough to consistently make all the throws a professional football quarterback and athlete needs to make. It's not just about time, because while the O-Line sucked, it's not like he NEVER had time to throw. He's simply does not have the athletic ability to play the position, and that's ok, neither do I, but I don't have a band of followers who think I should be playing because I'm a 'nice guy'.

The day he's gone will be the best day in Jets History since Super Bowl III.
    EY,
    First let me say that I am in total support of moving Chad, and picking up a more "athletic" veteran. I would have liked to see us sign McCown, but now options are limited.

My point is if it has to come down between Chad or Kellen this season, I would rather see Chad manage the offense. Chad has gotten us to the playoffs before, and now with our revamped line, & the threat of a running game, he should be able to better control the football.

No knock on Clemens as I pray he turns into our QB of the future. He has just not impressed me all that much.......yet.

AZ

Banned
    JetsFanDownSouth SAR,

Let me get this right. We've had a fantastic few days and have finally been aggressive in the free agent market that everyone has been hoping for .

Yes, the Jets are in Year 3 of a 4 year rebuild and the script calls for "filling holes with win-now free agents to prepare for the run in 2009". I'm as excited as anyone else. Good job by the FO.

So what are we talking about (yet again). SAR's infatuation with bashing Pennington. SHUT THE HELL UP. Enough already we get it.

I'm glad that you see the connection between the two events as they are joined at the hip. Adding all this line beef without addressing the players that can actually score points in a game is pointless. Until we solve the franchise QB issue that's plagued us since Joe Namath's knees quit, we go nowhere. This post simply illustrates that a) no one else sees value in Pennington and b) it seems that managment is still confused if Clemens is The Man. No joy in Mudville until Kellen shows us something.

Don't we have enough trolls to stir up bull**** that we don't need more from one of our own (or supposedly). Are you even a Jets fan? I can't tell you how many times I have read your "insights" and wanted to delete my bookmark to this board and forget it exists.

The "Chad is still a great QB" discussion has been going on for years and reached its apex this past January. This free agent signing orgasm is new-news; this thread is relevant as one needs to question why no teams are inquiring about Pennington when the world knows we're going to cut him anyway. Many speculate it'll happen next month at the draft. I'd think a team would try to jump the draft and steal him from us right now, especially since we could use a cheap scrub from another bottom-dwelling, QB-less team in trade.

To your fantastic observation, I havent heard anyone talking about the Mannings or Phillip Rivers, does that mean they should try the CFL too? Rediculous. Lets cut Chad and see how many SECONDS it would take for him to get another gig.

Did I miss the part where Peyton, Eli, or Philip were benched with a 1-7 record due to their inconsistent play? Did I miss the telegraphed message that they weren't going to be a part of their team's Championship runs in 2008 and 2009? Different circumstances here. Chad's dead-man-walking. He's a good guy, but he's a lousy QB now.

You dont like him... we know this... we no longer care... shut up

This isn't about me or Chad. It's about the Jets and the Quarterback position. Quarterback is the biggest question mark on the team, and the fact that we don't know if Kellen Clemens has what it takes and are actually considering keeping Chad on the team is far bigger news than all the old fat linemen we added this week. Mangini blew it by letting Chad start the first half of the season. He killed 2007 and jeopardized 2008 and beyond. It would be nice if we knew, right now, if Kellen has the tools or is a bust. We're sitting at #6 and yet again a franchise caliber QB is there for the taking. Do you think we'll take him? Of course not. We still don't know if Kellen is The Man. That's the problem, and all the $20 million dollar lard tubs in the trenches mean dick until it's solved.

SAR I

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigragu View Post
    Chad Pennington Football

=

I peed a little when I saw that!!!