Thread: 3-4/4-3

Veteran

3-4/4-3

Would it be completely unheard of for a team to employ both the 4-3 and the 3-4 defensive scheme in a single season? Being able to throw either look at an opposing offense in a game would be awfully hard to game-plan for. (As would game planning the defense).

I got this from a post I saw in another thread by Jetfumes observing that Jenkins was playing in the 4-3 at Carolina. Why haven't we yet traded DRob? Could the front office be planning to be able to go both ways? Go 4-3with Ellis-Jenkins-DRob-Gholston/Thomas or 3-4 with Ellis-Jenkins/Pouha/DRob-Thomas? I would think we would have enough LB's to make a 3 or 4 combo too. Thomas or Gholston could play OLB in the 3-4 I would think.

Just askin, is it possible?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by HERDFAN1 View Post
    Would it be completely unheard of for a team to employ both the 4-3 and the 3-4 defensive scheme in a single season? Being able to throw either look at an opposing offense in a game would be awfully hard to game-plan for. (As would game planning the defense).

I got this from a post I saw in another thread by Jetfumes observing that Jenkins was playing in the 4-3 at Carolina. Why haven't we yet traded DRob? Could the front office be planning to be able to go both ways? Go 4-3with Ellis-Jenkins-DRob-Gholston/Thomas or 3-4 with Ellis-Jenkins/Pouha/DRob-Thomas? I would think we would have enough LB's to make a 3 or 4 combo too. Thomas or Gholston could play OLB in the 3-4 I would think.

3-4 is the base formation but depending on what the O is doing you can go to the 4-3 or 2-5 for that matter..

Hall Of Fame
    yes and we've discussed it for the past two years.

Mangini runs a "flex" defense, not uniformly 34.

Hall Of Fame
    c'mon dude, we play multiple fronts every week

Veteran
    So then is the hurry to unload DRob strictly a cap issue? It seems well discussed that DRob was not a prototypical 3-4 noseguard but maybe neither is Jenkens. How would DRob perform lined up beside of Jenkins?

In the 4 man front the Jets can use Mosley. He's a quick, penetrating DT. And he's a part-time player who makes vet minimum level money.

Nobody pays 12M for a part-time player.

All League
    Yeah we do play multiple fronts anyway. I posted what I posted in the other thread based on the you tube video of Jenkins playing in a 4-3. Robertson does well in a 4-3 already, so I got confused.

Hall Of Fame
    this is another masked attempt at "let's keep D-Rob at DE." for that to happen, Robertson would have to take a MASSIVE paycut; he was already grossly overpaid for a DT and no 3-4 DE will ever be worth $11 million/year.

then again, if D-Rob is willing to restructure his contract, the best option would still be to seek a trade. what about our 4-3 fronts? Kenyon Coleman can just as easily slide to the inside and play the "rush" DT next to Jenkins, as either BT or Gholston (assuming we draft him) steps in at RDE.

to me, D-Rob is as good as gone. it's just a matter of finding a trading partner that he'll be willing to restructure his contract for. i heard Denver is beautiful this time of year...

yes its because D-Rob is making a lot of money the next 2 years, the only way we keep him is if he takes a pay cut. We save 10 mil by letting him go.

Quote Originally Posted by HERDFAN1 View Post

Most 3-4 teams do that, especially ones transitioning to the 3-4. Doesn't really require to keep around your pure 4-3 players though... most 3-4 DEs are athletic enough to play UDT in a 4-3.

Practice Squad
    there is no reason to move d. rob.

we just should offer him an extension w/ a pay cut 6 yrs - 36 mil w/ 14 gntd?

Would be perfect (despite height) 3-4 DE.

He played out of his mind at that position in the pit game... I would love for them to keep him around for that roll -- K. Coleman is a better "depth" guy than a starter anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by alexgutterson View Post
    there is no reason to move d. rob.

we just should offer him an extension w/ a pay cut 6 yrs - 36 mil w/ 14 gntd?

Would be perfect (despite height) 3-4 DE.

He played out of his mind at that position in the pit game... I would love for them to keep him around for that roll -- K. Coleman is a better "depth" guy than a starter anyways.
    DRob is still a man without a position. And he's grossly overpaid even with a contract renegotiation.

A much better idea is to trade DRob to some team for a pick. Package that with some other late rounders to get a higher pick. Then take Dre Moore or Red Albert. Those guys actually fit at DE, unlike DRob. And as a 2nd or 3rd rounder would be much, much less expensive (think 1/20th the cost).