Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No matter the value at 6, JEts should look to move

All League

No matter the value at 6, JEts should look to move

Now that FA is in full swing and our elite FO is filling holes left and right, our draft picture is looking cloudier than ever.

WHo do we take at 6? Do we take the BAP when all the BAP's do not fill a need?

DO we take DMC? Stewart? Mendenhall? Gholston?

Or, as I believe we should, do we trade back?

There have been many threads on how we should trade back b/c the value at #6 is no good. Well I say Hogwash.

The value at #6 is superb....just not for us.

Assuming we sign Woody, Gay & Pace, we still legitimately need an ILB, G/T depth, a tall fast WR, and another pass rusher.

All of these holes could be filled by dropping back. So let a team like Dallas, who needs just a few players, move up to the coveted six spot and let us move back.

Think of having 2 #1s and 2 #2s. THat would make up for no third (as of now). Then we could take...

James Hardy WR
    Dan Connor ILB
    Carl Nicks OT
    Cliff Avril/L.Jackson DE/OLB

All of this, by the time day 2 roles around with at least 3 picks in the 4th and one each in the last two rounds.

Trading back with Dallas is looking more valuable as we continue to fill holes in FA. Im not sure if it is also more cap friendly to move back and take two players for the price of nearly one, but I would think so.

Thoughts? I know this has been talked about alot, but I am curious if you are leaning more towards trading back now that the Jets have been successful in FA.

The more FA we sign, the less I want to trade back.

If all the open roster spots are filled, you want to upgrade with absolutely the best talent you can. Elite guys. Guys with All Pro potential. And that's what you find at #6.

The whole point to BPA is taking a great talent that you might not immediately need. The Jets are rapidly becoming a good enough ballclub to consider that strategy.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post

If all the open roster spots are filled, you want to upgrade with absolutely the best talent you can. Elite guys. Guys with All Pro potential. And that's what you find at #6.

The whole point to BPA is taking a great talent that you might not immediately need. The Jets are rapidly becoming a good enough ballclub to consider that strategy.
    Who do you think is an elite talent their that equals the value of guys like James Hardy or Keith Rivers & Malcolm Kelly or Dan Connor?

I don't think the JEts are interested in DMC. And besides a RB, what other player will be available they would select.

Dorsey looks to fall out of the top 5 with injuries. So that means DMC will prob go before 6. That being said, so will Gholston, both Longs, and probably Sedrick Ellis. So, who is left for the JEts to grab?

A CB (Leodis Mck)? Unlikely since they took Revis last year.

A RB (Stewart/Mendenhall)?

WHo else?

Veteran
    i think its pretty much down to either gholston or mcfadden unless mangini doesnt believe clemens is the answer and takes Ryan

All League
    If we could trade down and get somebody like Mendenhall and Groves, and Hardy, I think that is the best case scenario. Every player has a chance of being a boom or bust, and all three have first round talent. We would be adding two playmakers and a solid pass rusher, of which you can never have enough of. (Giants, anybody??)

Rookie
    I have the same feelings about gholston as I did with Dwight freeney before the draft. Pure athletes and not football players. I was wrong about Freeney, and something tells me Im gonna be wrong about gholston. So I say draft that beast at 6. No one else is going to draft him except Miami, hes not worth a top 5 to a 4-3 team, doesnt have that value.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Im really interested in moving down, but realize it is really difficult. With the amount of picks the Jets have accrued due to trades, I would be okay with trading down and picking up a first or second next year depending on the number of slots. The one position I think the Jets have not addressed is a top-tier tall WR. I would love to see them trade down with either Detriot or Arizona and simply swap first round picks and get Fitzgerald or Roy Williams (both rumored to be available). Id be okay with throwing in a 4th round pick as well to get the deal done.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post

I think it's more likely that we upgrade our 2nd round pick than us trading down the 1st. With the amount of Free Agent moves we are making, we are clearly trying to get better fast.

Veteran
    I don't know a whole lot abou the draft chart. Would moving back really get us a second first rd pick?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by player1322 View Post
    I don't know a whole lot abou the draft chart. Would moving back really get us a second first rd pick?
    Theoretically, if Dallas wanted to trade both their first rounders to us for #6 (Only really a possability if McFadden is on the board). We could. But nobody else has the right package of picks, unless you're talking about potentially in future years.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Theoretically, if Dallas wanted to trade both their first rounders to us for #6 (Only really a possability if McFadden is on the board). We could. But nobody else has the right package of picks, unless you're talking about potentially in future years.

I agree Dallas seems to be the most likely trading partner. I wouldnt be surprised if we start hearing favorable things about Mcfadden coming from the Jets. I think they want to create the sense that we are seriously interested in him to make Dallas trade with us and not the Pats*. I would do the trade in a second swapping our #6 for their 21 and 23.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I agree Dallas seems to be the most likely trading partner. I wouldnt be surprised if we start hearing favorable things about Mcfadden coming from the Jets. I think they want to create the sense that we are seriously interested in him to make Dallas trade with us and not the Pats*. I would do the trade in a second swapping our #6 for their 21 and 23.
    That would be a mistake. Appearing interested in McFadden would make Dallas want to leap us and trade up to #5 instead (If they're going to go such a route), because they would think we would take him if given the chance.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    That would be a mistake. Appearing interested in McFadden would make Dallas want to leap us and trade up to #5 instead (If they're going to go such a route), because they would think we would take him if given the chance.
    I think Dallas makes the trade with Oakland at #3....for MacFadden...if not the Raiders take him...but there are two other backs that someone might move up with us to get....I really see us moving out of #6...unless there is someone that Mangini wants big time...

All League
    Wow, the trade down thread didn't pop up until after lunch today. You guys are slipping.

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    With Dyson, and Poteat being cut, (i think), what are we going to do with our CB position? Of course Revis, but how about #2, and #3? Will Miller be te guy this season? Barrett?

Would CB be a possiblity if we traded back from #6?

Hall Of Fame
    I still dont see a trade happening... It's too hard to even up the value board for the #6 pick. I mean do you think Dallas would seriously be willing to give up 2 1sts a 2nd and probably a 4th or a 5th to get up to the 6th pick??? I dont, and thats how much it would take.. 2 #1s in the late 1sts doesnt equal out.

All League
    saw in your post that mentioned randall gay, not sure if this was already talked about, but Gay signed with the saints for 4-year, $17m deal.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Aten View Post
    Wow, the trade down thread didn't pop up until after lunch today. You guys are slipping.
    i've said it before I will say it again

trading down is very tough to pull off

almost impossible if the market isn't there

or if a franchise QB doesn't drop

if DMC drops they have to take him... and probably ditto for Matt Ryan

quality trumps quantity, every time

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    if DMC drops they have to take him... and probably ditto for Matt Ryan
    I would hate to have to pick Ryan but you're probably right. The guy's only got two good qualities (1. he ain't Chad, and 2. he ain't Kellen), but unfortunately that puts him one up on our other options.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Aten View Post
    I would hate to have to pick Ryan but you're probably right. The guy's only got two good qualities (1. he ain't Chad, and 2. he ain't Kellen), but unfortunately that puts him one up on our other options.
    the draft forum didn't get the memo

beggars really can't be choosers

the 'trade down so that someone else can take DMC' really irks me

who needs TD's more than the Jets?